Thread: Faking Benchmarks, The Good Benchmark List, How To Spot Cheats and More...

Threaded View

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

Tools And Benchmarks That Can Still Be Called "Reliable"

This is a list of benchmarks, or programs that I have had ZERO Luck fooling, or Faking benchmarks with.

CPUMathMark. V3

This program isn't perfect.
    the CPU speed reported with this program can easily be manipulated.

but it has 1 strong point.
    you can't alter the results, with Windows Slow motion cheating.
    so if your at stock, or a faked 1,000 ghz OC, it still will report the same speed everytime.

Good program, considering it's the only math program I know thats fairly cheat free, or atleast, hard to cheat one.

CPUZ Version 1.26 and Up.

this CPU reading utility can be considerd cheat free at the moment, assuming its version 1.26 or higher.
    lower versions of CPUZ can be cheated on very easily, this is why this program is on both the good and the bad list, according to version.
    this is the only CPU reading program that is cheater free at the moment.
    hopefully this lasts...

CPUMark2.

This is a relativly new benchmark I think.
    it's not too common, but I highly encourage members to atleast try this program.

this program is a benchmark that tests your CPU in 3 ways.
    its seems to be almost invincible.
    I mean nothing I did would vary this benchmark even by 1/10th of a point.
    it did the same points every single time I ran the benchmark.
    to top it off....

IT DETECTED MY CHEAT PROGRAM

see, you can submit results online.
    when I tried, it detected my cheat program I was testing, and basically gave me the finger, and wouldn't let me submit my results, haha...
    it instantly became a new favorite program when I saw that.

I can also say, this program never varied its CPU Speed reading, it always detected the real CPU Speed, no matter what cheat method I tried to fool it with.

This program can be used to verify a OC, atleast to some degree.
    I can't claim it's 100% cheat free, as I am still testing it, but so far, it passes every test I can throw at it.

Windows Properties.

not a benchmark, or anything too interesting.
    easily cheated in painshop.
    but windows gets its CPU speed from the Bios.
    it won't change on the fly, so it won't report anything, other then the boot up speed. but it's atleast a method of helping to verify a overclock.
    should not be considerd 100% reliable, but a means to help verify a OC atleast.

Super PI Cheat Free Version.

theres a few versions of Super PI out there.
    some allow cheating, some have some questionable patchs...
    some are just inacurate using false timers.

this version here, is one a member here, named SNQ modded himself, and I can verify that its just as accurate as the normal version of super pi, but it does implement the best Anti Cheating efforts I know of.

this is the only PI program that should be used for anti cheating.

Here

Clockgen.

Probably the most suprising of the lot.
    Clockgen seems to be completly immune to reading faked CPU Speeds.
    Clockgen gets its CPU Speed by reading the FSB from the PLL on the motherboard, and the multiplier from the bios itself.
    it then does alittle math, and reports the CPU Speed.

I know of no method to alter the readings, as the readings are hardware based, and have nothing to do with windows itself, other then it runs in windows.

should not be considerd 100% fool proof, but atleast highly reliable still.

A little new ABout CPUZ, Clockgen and Overclocking.

Frank, the Author of CPUZ, is by far, the best advocate I know from the programming community, that is on board with finding ways to bust cheat programs, and find ways to keep thier programs cheat free.
    I have been talking with frank a few times a day, beta testing various new CPUz's sharing ideas, and trying to find ways to get a better CPUZ to everyone.
    while CPUZ at the moment is not cheat free, it's still the best CPU program I know of, especially, when mixed with the checksum, and clockgen readings.
    till then, we are working fast to get a better CPU Check program out to everyone

Lastly.

3dmark2001se.

you might be sick of it.
    you might call it old.
    you might say it's synthetic.
    you may just hate it.
    but plain old fact is...
    I just can't cheat this benchmark, in the same ways I can with 3dmark2003 and 2005.

3dmark2001se, seems to have a built in timer.
    if the benchmark should take 5 minutes, and takes 10 minutes cause of a slow motion cheat... the benchmark errors out, and gives you a "timer insanity" error.
    its interesting to see this, cause it gave me a idea.
    I recommended to futuremark that they should include some sort of timer on thier 3dmark2003, and 2005 programs, as well as PCmark, just like 3dmark200se has.
    it's not a perfect protection against cheating, but its alot better then the no cheat protection that both 3dmark 2003 and 2005 have at the moment, and can easily be updated with some sort of timer, with a Patch.
    I have since recieved a reply from someone at futuremark, who said they will look into it.
    but honestly... I don't see anything happening soon, if they don't take me serious.

fortunatly, we have a few connections here, to people at futuremark, who are investigating the cheat program, and ways to bust these cheats.
    so, hopefully, me bugging the hell out of them+ the people here working on it, will speed up futuremark to incorperate some sort of cheat protection in thier next patch.

This list will be updated, as I find and test more programs that I feel I cannot cheat on, with any methods I know.

Again, this list shouldn't be considerd a list of infallible programs, but it's atleast better then nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Still Good.JPG 
Views:	21036 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	20208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Still Good 2.JPG 
Views:	20864 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	20209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Still Good 3.JPG 
Views:	20742 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	20210  
    Last edited by Kunaak; 02-26-2005 at 08:52 PM.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."