Thread: Help ocing (noob)

Help ocing (noob)

I have read in the OC section a bit but i just tend to mess around in bios until it won't restart and if i do get it to work no gains ... any help?

The stats are as follows:
    Mobo: MSI K8N Neo2 platinum (939)(Nforce3)
    CPU: AMD FX-55
    Case: Cooler master CMStacker full tower
    PSU: Antec Truepower 550w
    4 sticks of 512ram
    Graphix Kard: 6800 gt ultra BFG
    Vapo chill LS

any help would be appriciated i know i have the Hardware to oc with just not the knowledge... Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Welcome to Xtreme!

First how about a full describe of the RAM in use.

Do you need 2gig? You will get higher O/C results with 2 sticks & 1 gig can do a lot. The O/C will offset the reduced amount of RAM as well.

You're right regarding your gear, if the RAM chosen matches the rest it should fly.

What is the highest you've had the fsb at so far and what multi have you been making use of?

Really need to know what RAM is in use, settings for BH5 would not be optimum for TCCD sticks....ect.

Lets see I can try 1 gig sure. is thier anyway to tell the memory without taking it out of the computer i forgot exact stats. fsb not much above factory typically like i said i would just mess it up were it wouldn't start. and the multi im not sure how to find it in bios (NOOB ALERT) .... I will work on finding the memory type out though!

scratch that heres the mem.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...145-524&depa=1
    Last edited by Kemp; 02-10-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    download Everest or SiSoft Sandra and it should give you a rundown of your system.
    Laptop

Xtreme Member
    Sitting in my room and watching my life go to waste.
    Use CPU-Z to check what FSB/mutli you are using (and further info).

Regarding your memory, you probably should take out a stick and check it. Do you at least know which manufacturer it is?

Anyway, good luck with your OC'ing, I'm sure it will work out just fine.

Xtreme Member
    Hah! You have the memory to ramp it up!

Xtreme Member
    hey kemp - great memory you ahve there, it'll definitely do the trick for overclocking purposes, its TCCD IC's, if my memory serves me correctly, so you'll be flying once we get it ramped up. Anyway, first place to start with overclocking is to find the max speed of your CPU. Easy for you, with the FX55, is the multipliers are unlocked. Start off by just cranking up the multiplier...first to 14, then to 14.5, then 15, 15.5, etc. When it won't boot into windows, consider cranking the default voltage up a little bit. I belive the Neo2 gives you up to 110% above 1.55v. Start off with the 103% option, and if that allows you to boot into windows great, reboot and crank the multiplier again. continue this until the CPU won't get any higher and you should have found your CPU max (on a vapochill, i'd expect this o be around 3.1-3.3ghz). Once that is completed, you can lower the multi back down to 13 and start palying with the HTT. If you're raising the HTT over 205, change the LDT multiplier to 4x. Over 250, 3x. Basically, you want to keep the total HTT bus (multiplier x HTT) at or under 1000mhz. So, to start off, loosen up your memory timings to about 2.5-3-3-7 instead of the 2-2-2-5. This will allow your memory to scale upwards of 275mhz. Also, in memory settings, make sure that you tell it to be 200mhz, not 166,133, etc. or else that will set a divider, omething we don't need to do with FX's. Now, begin cranking the HTT, up by about 5 at a time. As you'll notice, the memory is being clocked faster and so is the CPU as a 220htt x 13 multiplier will result in 2.86ghz, simple multiplication. Give this method a shot and if you are confused or need any more help just post back and either I or someone else will be glad to assist you. Good luck!
    Intel 3930k @ 4.55ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    Intel SSD 520 480gb
    AMD Radeon 6990
    Corsair AX1200 PSU

just a few questions were is the HTT in the bios and what does it stand for and is there a certain way to look at a different menu in my bios I just don't see the multiplier options? very good explaination though thanks
    Last edited by Kemp; 02-11-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Just a few problems i can't find the timings settings on the memory so i can loosen them up. I think i found everything else. what exactly is the LDT multiplier also? I found the memory settings but the options on the timings are limited.. would you mind telling me what the numbers them selves stand for 2-2-2-5. So i can search around for it. but other than that i got it to about 3.1ghz so im progressing.

so main problems: loosening the memory timings
    knowing what the LDT stands for is the HT option the LDT?
    Last edited by Kemp; 02-11-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Here it is so far any suggestions ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMD 3055.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	24452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MEM1.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	24453  

xtreme energy
    this is a guide that might be helpful:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=847481

Just look in BIOS, you should find where you can loosen timings.

2-2-2-5 usually refers to TCL-Trcd-Trp-Tras. I would suggest you keep those 2.5-3/4-3-7