Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SuperPi 1MB is now dead ! => what will replace it ?

Xtreme Christmas Lighter
    We could just use it here under the honor code? Seriously... we all have the right amount of gray matter upstairs. Just require both versions to be run when submitting your times. And if someone can just hack the hacked version to say that it's hacked... that would also help us out.

It sucks... but if people here still want to use the benchmark then I think we can work around the modified version one way or another.

BTW, I only use SuperPi as one of my memory tests. I can be 99.182% sure my system is stable enough of run any distributed computing project if it runs the 4m SuperPi... Hexus PiFast... and Prime95 for 20 iterations. I know people may pipe up about those programs sucking for this... and sucking for that but that's just what I've found over the years.

Xtreme Member
    Why should anyone use this? Why should this ruin the whole benchmark?

If somebody is stupid enough to post results with the optimized SuperPi and claim they are not, who cares? At the same trouble of disguising optimized runs to look like old-fashioned runs he could just photoshop the screenshot.

Just delete the whole patch from your hardrive and forget about it, or face the fact that prescott has some advantage from this optimization, but it still does the same calculations, just like AMD 64 benefits from the 64-bit windows.

I personally favor the old superpi-version and am not going to even download the prescott-patch, because I would lose the ability to compare my results with others and I really wouldn't feel comfortable with all those strangely small numbers at so low clockspeeds

Just quit whining and forget about the patch and don't use it. Soon no-one else will neither.

Just my honest opinion, no need to slaughter me
    Asus P4C800-E Dlx, P4 2.8A @ 5.575GHz
    Asus P5P800, P4 550 @ 5.1Ghz
    SuperPi 8M : 4 min 14s

Well said Hilppa!
    desktop:
    AMD 3800+ x2 | MSI K9N Neo-F | 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 675 | 7600GT | 2x160GB | MX700 | Enermax 485w

notebook:
    ASUS A6T Turion x2 TL52 | 1GB DDR2 | Go7600 | DVD±RW 8x DL | 80GB 7200rpm | WiFi | XP pro

Xtreme Recruit
    What the heck!
    Why don't we develop a SuperDuper optimized 64-bit edition to go with the a64 and windows 64?

Whould that be fair? Come on guys, let superpi keep it's glory and stop ruin it.
    That's my ponit of view.

From now on I will only compare AXP, A64 and Intel NW with Superpi.
    A64 3200+ @2700mhz (270*10) 1:1 | AMD 64 Boxed kylning
    DFI LanParty UT 250gb | 512mb A-data BH-5@270mhz 2-2-2-5 3,6v vdimm
    431w Enermax | 9700pro@448/404 | 3dmark01: 25027

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Now there are patches for A64 a. Northwood, too! And no way to find
    out if they use the patch or not ... That really sucks, imho!
    No compares anymore!
    PC : Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 + Intel Core i5 i2500k + 2 x Asus HD6870 DirectCU + 2x2GB PC12800 G.Skill Eco 7-8-7-24 + Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe + Scythe Mugen 3.
    Digicam : Pentax *istDL2 + Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL + Cosina F3.5/100mm Makro.
    Heimkino : Samsung LE-46B450 FullHD + Arion AF-4000HDCI + Onkyo TX-SR505E + Quadral Quintas 5.0 + Heco Victa 25A.

Xtreme Member
    as I said on my DB http://zytrahus.free.fr I'm currently writing a program to replace superpi adding the necessary overclockers options like :

- result ID (like cpuZ)
    - checksum of the program (to be sure that there is no mod in the binaries)
    - check of the result

One Alpha is already done, I'm going to finalyse the Beta ang making tested by some overclockers around the world. If I had to make changements, I'll make and after I will upload it and reload a new database.

I hope this program will get a right place

=> I really SUPERPI think hasn't any reason to be used in bench ... no more interest, DB are already deads
    none

Xtreme Member
    not really

Athlons have 3 integer pipelines, while P4 have 2 ...

you can't compare a red apple to a green apple ...

Quote Originally Posted by zytrahus
    Hi,

Just some words to say what I think about "the new superpowerfull superpi104" ...

The new tweak has completely kill superpi. Before it, it was already difficult to make a right comparative between the different realases (japanese superpi ; english release... ), but now there is really no interest to use it...

I could understand that somebody wants tweak to his own use, but I really don't understand how this "somebody" could use it to run for overclocking results.

Superpi didn't have any "optimisation" for current cpus so it was a good way to compare each cpu : AMD or Intel ; frequency ; memory ; cache... Each parametre had its own influence.

I know I'm the only one who find this tweak as poor as s*** and I just want give my thanks to "the superpi killer". I don't want to know who is it, I just hope a way to replace this small bench (with maybe more accuracy in result)

../..

Xtreme Addict
    slavik As much as I like your pretty signature I think its against the rules on XS
    "M-I-A"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i think its like if nvidia decided to recode 3dmark to run better on their video card. Sure you can optimize for it. but recoding programs to run better?

Xtreme Member
    in this case, it's just rewriting to block all cheaters and leave them to their right place ... that's all ...
    none

Xtreme Member
    in this case, it's just rewriting to block all cheaters and leave them to their right place ... that's all ...
    Will it run exactly like superpi (same times) or will it be different like pifast is to superpi?
    A64 3400 @ 2700 [270x10] (air)
    DFI UT
    bh-5 @ 270 A64 Tweaked
    9800p @ 480/425

Xtreme Member
    as I said on my DB http://zytrahus.free.fr I'm currently writing a program to replace superpi adding the necessary overclockers options like :

- result ID (like cpuZ)
    - checksum of the program (to be sure that there is no mod in the binaries)
    - check of the result

One Alpha is already done, I'm going to finalyse the Beta ang making tested by some overclockers around the world. If I had to make changements, I'll make and after I will upload it and reload a new database.

I hope this program will get a right place

=> I really SUPERPI think hasn't any reason to be used in bench ... no more interest, DB are already deads
    Sounds like a good initiative!
    If you need any more testers, i'd love to give it a try.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag Master 21
    Will it run exactly like superpi (same times) or will it be different like pifast is to superpi?

I can totally do what I want. That's why I'm going to need testers to see the different times, and adjusting the code to have the "good times"

I think I will program it to make the best overclocked CPU will run the bench with around 40 or 45s.

There is no really difference with superpi, there is a GUI, and ID, checksum of result and executable files, to make sure about no cheating.

The objectives are to make a program nice to run, stressing for CPU and RAM, with all the things superpi didn't get like ID, checksum, precision in the time result, etc.
    none

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    If u need some Betatesters, here is my email. funkflix at freenet.de
    PC : Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 + Intel Core i5 i2500k + 2 x Asus HD6870 DirectCU + 2x2GB PC12800 G.Skill Eco 7-8-7-24 + Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe + Scythe Mugen 3.
    Digicam : Pentax *istDL2 + Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL + Cosina F3.5/100mm Makro.
    Heimkino : Samsung LE-46B450 FullHD + Arion AF-4000HDCI + Onkyo TX-SR505E + Quadral Quintas 5.0 + Heco Victa 25A.

Xtreme Member
    I can totally do what I want. That's why I'm going to need testers to see the different times, and adjusting the code to have the "good times"

I think I will program it to make the best overclocked CPU will run the bench with around 40 or 45s.

There is no really difference with superpi, there is a GUI, and ID, checksum of result and executable files, to make sure about no cheating.

The objectives are to make a program nice to run, stressing for CPU and RAM, with all the things superpi didn't get like ID, checksum, precision in the time result, etc.
    You gonna have a database to upload your scores up to too? that would be sweet if it was integrated into the software giving you even more power to crush those cheaters.

Xtreme Addict
    I am up for a betatester zytrahus
    "M-I-A"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet
    You gonna have a database to upload your scores up to too? that would be sweet if it was integrated into the software giving you even more power to crush those cheaters.
    yeah, I suggested that earlier but no one else commented on it..
    A64 3400 @ 2700 [270x10] (air)
    DFI UT
    bh-5 @ 270 A64 Tweaked
    9800p @ 480/425

Xtreme Recruit
    No matter there is a patch but honestly what do get for using it, self respect naah. More and more benchmarks, well I'll run SuperPi and Pifast, meh test rig got matrox450 and no 3dmarks runs with that.

But I'm still willing to test new benchmarks, so zytrahus here is another betatester

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by bias_hjorth
    I agree with you zytrahus. Whoever did the patch should take a standing applause. :" Thank you for destroying a great benchmark"
    yeah...

imo benchmarks should not get special optimizations at all, they are supposed to show the raw performence of hardware...

so lets assume one piece of hardware can run applications faster than the other, but with optimizations the latter becomes faster than the first one. then the optimized benchmark will mislead people into thinking the latter hardware is faster, wich is true with optimizations, but the fact is that 9 out of 10 applications wont get an optimization, so in those apps the first piece of hardware will actually be faster.

benchmarks are supposed to indicate the performence of a piece of hardware it will give us in a range of applications, as soon as you optimize a benchmark it will no longer show you what performence we can expect from hardware ina wide range of applications.

a good result in that benchmark will only mean that, that this piece of hardware performs well with that benchmark app, it will no longer serve as a benchmark to get an idear of the performence of the hardware in other applications.

thats the odd world of benchmarks... as soon as they become popular there are optimizations for them wich nullifies their function as a general performence indicator...

Xtreme Member
    Imho it would be best if you could in the benchmark say, have two sorts of modes: RAW performance and Optimized performance. The first would be the "official" comparable benchmark and the second more of a tech perk useful for testing new CPUs and also satisfy the bunch who wants to have such things.

Team Japan
    Hi, I'm a japanese. Yes, I love SuperPI, of course

At first, I've noticed this thread yesterday.
    So, Nazaar,
    > they are probably not thinking, they are just pouring ln2 on their cpu's
    --
    Wall of language is higher than you expect, for our Asian people

And I already picked up this SuperPI SSE3 patch affair on my own BBS.
    http://219.113.251.125/c-board/c-boa...ne;no=3045;id=
    Sorry, of cource in japanese.

zytrahus, I appreciate you for starting this thread and effort to make
    new benchmark program!

CodeRed(thanks for your A64Tweaker),
    > I wonder what the Japanese overclockers think about this prescott cheat?
    --
    SSE2/SSE3 patch to SuperPI itself is interesting,
    but
    "Registering score by patched SuperPI without mention to patch"
    is another thing...it's a cheat, I think, as you almost all think same.

zytrahus,
    > I mailed the japanese lab last week to know if source code is open or not.
    > It's not. So difficult to change something (on the interface for example).
    >
    > A good thing would be to identify (graphicaly) and pack (crypt) the code to > lock any possible change on the code.
    >
    >
    > But it sounds difficult
    --
    Yes, crypting/locking is difficult.
    Today I've created 6 SuperPI binaries, i.e.
    Original Solver Version, SSE2 Version, SSE3 Version,
    both of English and Japanese versions.
    They have identifications, but no crypting/locking.
    So they are better than "silent" patched binary, I think,
    but not perfect at all...
    Anyway I attach several screenshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SuperPI_E_About.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	19595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E_6m31s_6m26s_FX-53-SSE2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	19596  

oh, can I be a beta tester as well? What do I have to do?

cheers.
    desktop:
    AMD 3800+ x2 | MSI K9N Neo-F | 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 675 | 7600GT | 2x160GB | MX700 | Enermax 485w

notebook:
    ASUS A6T Turion x2 TL52 | 1GB DDR2 | Go7600 | DVD±RW 8x DL | 80GB 7200rpm | WiFi | XP pro

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kyosen
    Hi, I'm a japanese. Yes, I love SuperPI, of course

At first, I've noticed this thread yesterday.
    So, Nazaar,
    > they are probably not thinking, they are just pouring ln2 on their cpu's
    --
    Wall of language is higher than you expect, for our Asian people

And I already picked up this SuperPI SSE3 patch affair on my own BBS.
    http://219.113.251.125/c-board/c-boa...ne;no=3045;id=
    Sorry, of cource in japanese.

zytrahus, I appreciate you for starting this thread and effort to make
    new benchmark program!

CodeRed(thanks for your A64Tweaker),
    > I wonder what the Japanese overclockers think about this prescott cheat?
    --
    SSE2/SSE3 patch to SuperPI itself is interesting,
    but
    "Registering score by patched SuperPI without mention to patch"
    is another thing...it's a cheat, I think, as you almost all think same.

zytrahus,
    > I mailed the japanese lab last week to know if source code is open or not.
    > It's not. So difficult to change something (on the interface for example).
    >
    > A good thing would be to identify (graphicaly) and pack (crypt) the code to > lock any possible change on the code.
    >
    >
    > But it sounds difficult
    --
    Yes, crypting/locking is difficult.
    Today I've created 6 SuperPI binaries, i.e.
    Original Solver Version, SSE2 Version, SSE3 Version,
    both of English and Japanese versions.
    They have identifications, but no crypting/locking.
    So they are better than "silent" patched binary, I think,
    but not perfect at all...
    Anyway I attach several screenshots.

sounds good
    none

Xtreme Mentor
    If this patched super pi benefits both Intel and Athlon64, then why not make the change to the latest version and that will be the new official superpi that everone uses if they choose to run the benchmark? Seems like a no brainer to me.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

yeah, but its the amount that it favours the Prescott over the A64 cos its got support for sse3. There are more than one version of the *new improved* version.

Or I might be very much mistaken
    desktop:

notebook:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast