Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who tried winchester (90nm) with Phase cooling?

-100c Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcom
    why not just boot the computer while its not in neg temps? Wouldn't that work? I'm not an expert so this may sound stupid, but hey I'm here to learn
    Think majority of us tried... it will get you to bios, and hang up shortly after when board think you are in 200c+
    Those who got fed up enough to return 3500winnie, 3500 newcastle rev 0.6 is doing great for me. Just broke 3ghz prime95 stable (well on single channel as I am having some interesting FSB limitation on dual channel which I think is mobo related hearing from people).
    That was @ bios 1.65v (1.5v default cpu) with 1.67-1.69 actual v-core under load.
    Max I've gotten prime 95 stable for more than 30 mins was 3.09 but the v-core was rediculously high for my taste that I just stopped. (also due to the fact dual channel at lower speed = 2.95ghz seems to perform better than extra 100mhz even with slower memory speed by DDR 90 or so vs single channel)
    Now things in order probably are 2 sticks of memory that can do 270-280 fsb in dual channel as well as finding out why dual channel won't go past 270fsb on this...
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Member
    Well i'll chime in my crazy up and downs with this board and cpu combo..

Fist off i'm not sure if it's the chip or the mb that's causing the no boot issues but i do know there are LOADS of issues with this board that many ppl have yet to come across yet but me. Here is my initial post (venting) about this combo

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45309

After reading more in this thread i have tried many things and i can tell you with 100% accuracy that when i could boot up my computer at around 40C it would boot flawlessly and run that way no doubt but the split second i manually turn on my prommy and the cold kicked in the board would literally lockup. I'm talking 2-3 seconds of me turning on the prommy, granted it was already running for a while so the head got cold quickly. I wish i knew for sure if it was the chip or the board. I have yet to see someone report back on another board, like the gigabyte, and a 3000/3200+ that was being super chilled. I've seen ONE, yes ONE, person get this combo running good sub 0's. This just blows.

Edit: two people bleh

Edit 2:

Quote Originally Posted by `schr0et
    You need to put a fan header into the CPU fan header, MSI has temp shutdown thinger that won't let you boot subzero unless you got a fan plugged in.
    I'll have to give that a shot that's the first time i've read that. Is there a thread on that or something i can find?
    Last edited by PnoT; 11-08-2004 at 02:45 AM.
    E8400 @ 4ghz 24/7
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    BFG 9800GX2
    2 x 150GB Raptor X in RAID 0

Xtreme Member
    *bump* for a solution
    E8400 @ 4ghz 24/7
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    BFG 9800GX2

Argh, another bump. I'm in the same boat with a Mach I and 3k chester. On my second neo2 now. Have tried two very good PSUs, three different sets of ram, single sticks, minimal hardware, etc.

-100c Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cúchulainn
    Argh, another bump. I'm in the same boat with a Mach I and 3k chester. On my second neo2 now. Have tried two very good PSUs, three different sets of ram, single sticks, minimal hardware, etc.
    Does your evap go under -45c? If not, might wanna try Asus A8V.

Single Stage Work Logs

my Mach2 goes under -45c (front LCD temp) and it makes no difference whatsoever.

I'm not entirely sure but i think there still is a problem with the A8V / Mach2, in that windows will refuse to install with the mach2.

When i first tried the board i was getting locks in the installation screen, either that or the HDD was clicking off and rebooting the machine.

After I install the retail heatsink it installs first time. This might be a coincidence but will be installing the stock HSF again tonight and will see if i can get windows to install first time again
    Nventiv Mach2/ LianLi Kit
    MSI Neo2
    3200+ (2.8Ghz so far)
    1Gb OCZ 3200 Rev2/ OCZ Booster
    ATi 9800 Pro
    Samsung 191T
    100Gb HDD
    15.4" xBRITE

Xtreme Member
    Well i'm back on air again doing 2.5ghz prime stable like a champ. Mach I sitting in the corner feeling left out. What a hassle this is. Has anyone tried the new bios that has been having issues with cold boot? I really don't feel like seal stringing up my rig again only to be let down
    E8400 @ 4ghz 24/7
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    BFG 9800GX2

Quote Originally Posted by PnoT
    Well i'm back on air again doing 2.5ghz prime stable like a champ. Mach I sitting in the corner feeling left out. What a hassle this is. Has anyone tried the new bios that has been having issues with cold boot? I really don't feel like seal stringing up my rig again only to be let down
    I tried the 137mod bios yesterday and almost made it through the win2k installation. It was up for maybe 30 minutes before it froze. Granted the problem still seems to be there but I'd never been able to even get into the raid bios or have the machine up for more than a minute or two before. I'd tried all bioses > 1.2 without any luck. I was able to set options in the bios and save repeatedly without a problem...for a while.

My evap reading does go below -45C when the cpu is run stock but that won't last for long.

has anyone attempted mounting a resistor between the two sense pins on their motherboard? This would fool the motherboard into thinking that the processor is hotter than it actually is (well, if you used a high enouph resistor that is)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout255
    has anyone attempted mounting a resistor between the two sense pins on their motherboard? This would fool the motherboard into thinking that the processor is hotter than it actually is (well, if you used a high enouph resistor that is)
    Someone mentioned that but i have no clue where it's at and there's also a new bios out that has not been tested to fix the cold boot issue, atleast no one has said anything about it.
    E8400 @ 4ghz 24/7
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    BFG 9800GX2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by `schr0et
    weird my K8N NEO2 wouldn't boot without the CPU fan header having a fan plugged in, when I plugged the CPU fan header it booted fine.

I am using Vapochill LS without fan plugin that cpu header,
    but still running good with 3500+ winnie

Xtreme Member
    Yesterday, and another time today, I turned on my system manualy.
    Only when it gets into windows, i fired up my Vapo LS.
    It crashes in about 5min or less...

This way, I got the time necessary to reconfigure my vapochill to start system at 5ºC, heaters up to 75% and fan's to minimun (30%). (with this configs...I wonder about for what I want a Vapo LS ).

Seems that when the system reaches for about -45ºC, it crashes...
    My Vapo LS is getting -52ºC in the evap

I have a fan in the cpu fan header... will give a try getting it off there...

Like other cases, at air the system runs fine, without any problem.

EDIT:
    I get some improvements taking off the fan from cpu fan header...
    With the vapo in the configuration above, and getting up to (down to) -52ºC on the evap, now I can allways boot my system, enter and manage bios settings...

The problem is while in windows....
    Now it allways gets into it, but still crashes quickly...
    Will try a fresh instalation because there where so many error reboots that I have some faith it crashes because of that (some corrupt installation)...
    Last edited by Ratax; 11-11-2004 at 03:25 AM.
    ->Dual 2.8 Xeon * PC-DL Dlx * 2gb Kingston DDR400 * Connect3D X850Pro@XTPE
    HEATWARE

i'm with PnoT on this one - it's very boring doing the seal string every time you wanna test. I am going to put the stock HSF back anf run it at 250/2500 until the NF4/ VIA PCIe and ATi chipset boards start appearing. Hopefully one of the boards using these chipsets will work correctly with a Winchester

The Abit AX8 (Socket 939) is already available to pre-order so who knows, this might work correctly, and i need a new vid card anyway so can get a GTo 6800 at the same time
    MSI Neo2
    3200+ (2.8Ghz so far)
    ATi 9800 Pro
    Samsung 191T
    100Gb HDD
    15.4" xBRITE

Xtreme Member
    I'm trying to install windows...

Like I've said before, with bios browsing, configuring and system post I allready have no problem.

Booting with windows cd (with SP2), formating, copying files, first installation reboot... no problem at all...

Entering in Windows graphic installation screen, after the first install rebboting, it stalls when gets to "installing windows" point...

It could sound stupid, but now I say... could it be a WinXP (or SP2) issue besides a negative cooling too?
    The winchester box says: "Includes Enhanced Virus Protection for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2"... but who knows...

Next will give a try with Win2000 and Linux.
    Last edited by Ratax; 11-11-2004 at 05:54 AM.
    ->Dual 2.8 Xeon * PC-DL Dlx * 2gb Kingston DDR400 * Connect3D X850Pro@XTPE
    HEATWARE

Quote Originally Posted by Ratax
    Entering in Windows graphic installation screen, after the first install rebboting, it stalls when gets to "installing windows" point...
    Interesting, that's exactly where mine hangs installing win2k.

Quote Originally Posted by Cúchulainn
    Interesting, that's exactly where mine hangs installing win2k.
    and me also with XP. What i plan on doing is loostening the evaporator head a bit before firing up the Mach2, so contact is really bad, that way i can install XP without issue.

It's so strange, because once i get XP installed the A8V works fine with my Mach2

Cúchulainn what board you using?
    Last edited by Psilonaught1; 11-11-2004 at 08:08 AM.
    MSI Neo2
    3200+ (2.8Ghz so far)
    ATi 9800 Pro
    Samsung 191T
    100Gb HDD
    15.4" xBRITE

-100c Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratax
    The problem is while in windows....
    Now it allways gets into it, but still crashes quickly...
    Will try a fresh instalation because there where so many error reboots that I have some faith it crashes because of that (some corrupt installation)...
    If you noticed, bios or dos runs hotter than windows idling... thus your temperature goes down more in windows usually. I think you are on the so called marginal temperature which I've experienced with A8V sort of. I say forget the winnie till this is resolved some how. (Be it CPU mod or mobo mod or bios mod).

Single Stage Work Logs

Xtreme Member
    Have either of you guys tried the new bios out yet to see if it fixes the issue?

I have win2k installed and without a hitch but i did do that on air and not my mach I. I email MSI support and they sent me a damn cut n paste job "you should try to upgrade your bios" LOL what a joke. I wrote like 2 paragraphs on what was going on and they paste me some crap like that. Whatever. I'll never buy msi again, i had reservations about it to begin with. I remember waaay back in the day when they were crap and i see things have not changed much
    E8400 @ 4ghz 24/7
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    BFG 9800GX2

-100c Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PnoT
    Have either of you guys tried the new bios out yet to see if it fixes the issue?

I have win2k installed and without a hitch but i did do that on air and not my mach I. I email MSI support and they sent me a damn cut n paste job "you should try to upgrade your bios" LOL what a joke. I wrote like 2 paragraphs on what was going on and they paste me some crap like that. Whatever. I'll never buy msi again, i had reservations about it to begin with. I remember waaay back in the day when they were crap and i see things have not changed much
    LOL... that was not as bad as mine. Guess what MSI told me. Buy new heatsink/fan. They understandably didn't know what prometeia mach II was. But to disimiss it as fan/heatsink when I mentioned sub zero temperature...
    At the moment, I am cash strapped due to my memory adventrues... once it settles down, I think I will concentrating on getting my paws on X800XT PE more so than winchester for now since I already am hitting prime 95 3ghz which was my goal with winnie... That is unless someone can lend me one to test real quick to see if it boots or not. (Guess about $30 to loan a cpu for day covering both side of shipping, if in s.cali, that should be abou 2-3 day turn around)

Single Stage Work Logs

it's so friggin bull!

Am getting short on £££ myself after all these AMD adventures. The move from a nice and stable IC7/3.0c combo to A64 has involved 1 head sATA drive, 2 dead PSU's and bew ram

Am gonna install XP with the stock HSF, put the mach2 back on and leave it at a sensible speed to i don't trash the OS again then wait for the freon reports on the new batch of mobos to appear.
    MSI Neo2
    3200+ (2.8Ghz so far)
    ATi 9800 Pro
    Samsung 191T
    100Gb HDD
    15.4" xBRITE

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilonaught1
    it's so friggin bull!

Am getting short on £££ myself after all these AMD adventures. The move from a nice and stable IC7/3.0c combo to A64 has involved 1 head sATA drive, 2 dead PSU's and bew ram

Am gonna install XP with the stock HSF, put the mach2 back on and leave it at a sensible speed to i don't trash the OS again then wait for the freon reports on the new batch of mobos to appear.
    Would you try out the new beta bios from onepagebook (.141) once your done installing xp and let us know if it fixes the cold boot issue?
    E8400 @ 4ghz 24/7
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    BFG 9800GX2

Xtreme Member
    Have the same kind of problems with my winnie too. I'm using the A8V rev 2 but with phch on the winnie it does boot but is unstable like hell. With the boxed cooler I hit 2550 Mhz @ 1.45V.

I only came into windows 2 times with my prommy on. Both times it was with my prommie of and the boot the pc (2 psu setup) However when the temps dropped I coulnd't get prime to run for more then a minute at default speeds.

Xtreme Member
    Your about the third person i've seen have the same issue with the ASUS. Most are reporting failure at -45C or so. I was actually going to rma my neo2 for the asus but now i dunno what to get. Nf4 is around the corner but i'm not sure how much longer i can hold out
    E8400 @ 4ghz 24/7
    DFI LP LT X48-T2R
    BFG 9800GX2

Xtreme Addict
    Great.. just after I get my 3500+ 90nm too! If I get the same problems as you guy I'm drop kicking the 90nm and buying an FX53

Xtreme Addict
    Also the same problem with GB K8NS ?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast