Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: risk of softmodding videocards

Xtreme Addict
    Well, its sorta obvious there?s a risk, but I think the risk is well worth it

Xtreme Member

Cool it lasted for a year............................

"heres another but with a 9500np to 9700pro mod"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

not two weeks, and it didn't die right away. depending on the users habits, it could very well been a clogged fan and heatsink, dust bunnies collect everywhere fans and heatsinks exist. thermal paste gone dry, poor handling of card, jeesh, there are tons of ways to kill a card or motherboard or.............been there, done that, and some dumb things more than once.................

i think you are grabbing at straws to justify whatever it is your are trying to prove.

baldy
    Asrock 970 Extreme4, Vishera 8320 @4.6Ghz, 1.39v, 16 gig Gskill RipJaws X DDR3 2133 @2284, OCZ 700w, OCZ Vetex 4 256gb boot, ATI 6850, all on big air..

smoke and mirrors

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hawainpanda, no there is no added risk.
    Opteron 165
    Dfi NF4 Expert
    4x1 1GB twinmos PC 3200
    XFX 7900GT 550/1500

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i think crankster is right, theres no risk at all...

or its that small that we can ignore it... the chances that a static shcok will damage your card are the same as getting damaged from softmodding.

i never heard of a card that went "wham" and the screen went black just after it was soft modded like gf4ti claimed on ocforums.

my card has never seen the light of day as a 9500np for well over a year and is plugg'n away like theres no tomorrow..voltage or bad soldering kills cards...not softmods,

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    I had a Powercolor 9800 NP for god I don't know how long... when did the 9800 pro come out?
    since then.

it's a 256 bit card.
    but has 4 pipelines disabled by default.
    I softmodded it for about a year, before hard modding it with a BIOS flash to be a plain 9800 Pro, which it worked fine till the day it died.

don't get too excited yet 4200...

it died cause the heatsink fan failed and stayed on SETI@home till it just burned up.
    I doubt the card would have had a single problem ever, if I was still using it to this day with the softmod.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    If your card had four pipes disabled it is/was a 9800SE. 9800np just has lower clocks. So just to prevent confusion, what is it?

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    SE.

it was this exact one.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...131-236&DEPA=0

I bought it from the refurbs for about $150 when the 9800 pros were still about $300+
    it's been so long since I looked at the default specs of that card.
    so I guess I am mixed up...

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123