Thread: My X800XT PE just burst into flames.

Unhappy My X800XT PE just burst into flames.

Hello,

well, after a few hellish days of fitting a cpu waterblock (which i thought would be quite straight forward) and various bits of my pc temporarily dying, it just climaxed with my X800XT PE catching fire.

rig in sig.

CPU was on ambient water
    GFX cooled with a Vapo XE

***** The story so far *****

I have a freezer with anti-freeze in it that was sitting doing nothing (goes to about -25c), so I bought a DD TDX block with copper top so I could chill my cpu with it.

With the insulation I was using, I was having great difficulty getting good contact. For the first few tries the pc would power off after about 5 secs. I unscrewed the block and noticed it wasn't making contact. I figured i'd fried my cpu, but placing the waterblock on without insulation and it was fine.

I started to trim the insulation and re-fitted the block. No post, tried with no insulation, no post!
    upon inspection, I discovered I'd tightened the block too hard and 2 of the corners on the die were chipped (no IHS). I started to search the net for a Venice + s939 mobo.

Decided to give the cpu another chance a couple of hours later... it worked again! Some more messing about and I was able to post while using adequate insulation. Temps in bios were about 22c (liquid @ 18c).

I thought my problems were over, all I had to do was fit my x800 and I could started overclocking (had been using a cheap passive card until now).

x800 in, rig on to find my hd was corrupt. WTF!
    Put in another hd, was booting into XP, then screen was blank for a few secs, then came back on all fuzzy... started to smell burning!!! Turned Power off.

It was then I realised I'd i'd had my X800 @ 1.8v on with the Vapo off, lol (was used to turning on the rig without the Vapo being on while using the old card). The vapo head and card were really hot. I turned the Vapo on to see if I could cool the card down so I could try again. Vapo beeped when I turned it on, giving an E041 error, was this muffed now too? After searching the Asetek forums I found that it related to a sensor error, which I assumed was because the evap was prolly at about 100c. I let it cool down and turned the Vapo back on, was relieved when it started and cooled to -32c.

Turned the rig on again, but this time I heard a pop and a resistor burst into flames!!!

Power was turned off in record time.

Here is the part that blew (pic is a Pro Vivo, but I think that part is the same on both cards):

does anyone know what this is (value etc)? I have a dead Herc 9800Pro lying about, anyone know if that card has the same part? If not I'll just buy one if I can.

And, what's the chances of it working again? lol
    It had good ram on it (benched 2k5 at 685MHz), so I'd rather not have to buy a new card if I can help it.

thanks.

edit: tried another resistor of the same value and that fried aswell... so I guess something else in the card is borked. Oh well, got a 9700 to use till the R520 comes out.
    Last edited by Trixxy; 05-26-2005 at 05:44 PM.