Thread: 6800 Ultra throttling help?

Xtreme Member

6800 Ultra throttling help?

I am running a Swiftech MCW50-T on my 6800 Ultra. So far the 80 watt TEC seems to be keeping up as my idle temps are 14C and load temps are 28C-30C. My problem now is that the card is throttling at temps below 25C. I tried the Riva Tuner work around but it didn't work. I downloaded the OmniEtremeEditFX version 1.5 so I can edit my cards BIOS but I am unsure of what needs to be changed in order to work around the throttling. I saved my current BIOS using NVFlash and opened it using the Omni tool. There are options for throttling voltage and throttling core and memory speeds. Right now on the stock BIOS the throttling core and memory speeds are blank and the throttling voltage is at 1.3 volts. Am I supposed to alter these values to get around the throttling? Can someone point me in the right direction please. Also when I open up my stock BIOS using the Omni tool it shows my memory timings as blank? Is that normal?

Intel Core i7-2600K---> Koolance 370
    3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Koolance RP-45X2 Reservoir
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MB
    SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W PSU
    16G CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT (4 x 4GB) PC3 12800
    2 X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G SATA 3 in RAID 0
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit

This is a repeat from my post on another thread:

"I've never tried the latest rivatuner to rid throttling. I usually start with warm gpu let it cool down, set clocks and save settings to load on startup and boot into windows overclock and bench away. Its not that consistent sometimes it does throttle also, I have 2 partitions, one to let warm GPU cool down in and one which has overclocked speed saved at bootup. I only enter the overclocked partition after GPU goes down to temperature.
    Anyways the card is not sold just returned.
    I also disabled the nvidia startup components cept the one for the clock speeds."

The vital points I think are:

-Boot with warm GPU
    -Disable any nvida programs that run at startup and services, except the clock speed set of the coolbits
    -Check save clock speed at startup
    -Once the optimal speed is saved at start up, bootups should spend waiting for GPU to cool down in bios or another partition.

Xtreme Member
    I wish I could get around this issue as well.
    I am unable to boot to windows untill the VapoMAXX has all three Vapos at temp, so booting with the card above freezing is not possable. The Riva Tuner thing did not work for me. While two BFG`s 6800 GT did work on the Vapo with huge throttling both doing better scores when on air, both card were damaged by freezing. The first was redured useless totaly when I put the heat sink back on, the second will work in windows, and run 2D apps, but will not run any 3D apps anymore and gives a slight corrupted screen in the BIOS. Verry strange that two cards would both fail after being frozzen, sense trying these two cards I`ve had three other non 6800 cards in there and they work fine and go back to air just fine, so i`m not sure what`s up with the BFG`s and freezing.
    The world`s only triple phase-changer PC in one case.

Well you can hard start up with low cpu clocks and wait for temps to drop?

Xtreme Member
    no, if the temp raises to the point the card stops throttling, the Vapochill CC cuts the puter out and it shuts off due to a pump failure error, or if I turn off the VC compressor and wait for the temp to come up, the stupid thing will hot lock when I try to start it back up and then that shuts the whole system down.

Yeah but what I mean was to hard start without connecting the Vapos to the mobo but another circuit.

Xtreme Member
    That defeats the whole 'safe system' concept of the CCs.

..plus the fact that two cards in a row have been damaged by freezing....I`m not too thrilled to try the third.

Xtreme Member
    So no one has figured out a way to mod the BIOS to get around this? I thought it was in this forum that they were talking about it? I have a BIOS editor called OmniEtremeEditFX version 1.5 and it will allow me to change the throttling core speed and memory speed as well as the throttling voltage. I assume that if I made the throttling voltage, core speed and memory speed all the same that the throttling would be gone. Does that not sound right?

3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit

The more I see people having problems with the throttling issue the more I think I should sell this card and get an X800XT. I don't think I want to experiment anymore and make a hold down after Rukee went through 2 cards.

Xtreme Member
    just use xtremetheme's bios editor and make yourself a bios where it throttles back to the voltage/ clocks that you want the file can be found here http://www.mvktech.net/request.php?561

Xtreme Member
    OK it seems using that BIOS editor that I can only change the throttling voltage not the core and memory clocks? I guess I will just try the voltage and see if that takes care of it.

Corsair Obsidian 800D
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit

Have you tried my method? Does it work for you?

Xtreme 3DTeam Member

muhahahaha, living on the edge....not really actually, but its kinda cool to think it.
    6800U 31.7K '01*15.8K '03*7.2K '05

...building a dual 254 rig on the MSI K8N Master2-FAR SLI

Xtreme Member
    Admin perma ban plz

Xtreme Member
    Ok I've heard alot of talk about throttling, but I don't think I have actually experienced it. My core never gets over 10c which is where the temp stops dropping. Can someone explain what symptoms I should see if it throttles? particularly in say 3Dmark benches.
    A64 3700+ @ 3105/258 1.85v VapoLS
    K8NNXP 12c bios K8Npro
    2 x 256 Twinx 3200LL 2-2-2-6 3.4v
    Albatron 6800GT VapoPE cooled