Thread: MSI K8N NEO Plat Vdimm & Vdd Mods

Threaded View

Xtreme Mentor

MSI K8N NEO Plat Vdimm & Vdd Mods

A thread about the Vdimm mod for this board is already underway, but I thought posting both mods on a new thread would make things easier for members to get the info they needed without having to read the entire thread.

The original thread can be found here.

Now, the Vdimm mod can be done 1 of 2 ways. You can do the Vdimm = 3.3v Rail Mod, or you can do the method that allows adjustment via a VR.

One odd note to make is that with the VR, the highest I could achieve was 2.936v. Keep in mind that I worked on this board without a cpu to test with. The stock Vdimm was 2.5v, so we are almost a solid 0.5v above stock without the ability to check other settings to see how the Vdimm responds. Once someone does this mod that has the ability to change the bios settings, we will know more. I dont know what the max Vdimm setting is in the bios, but I am wagering that this mod allows well over 3v once the cpu and ram are in the loop and bios settings are available.

On to the pics:

Vdimm = 3.3v Rail Mod

The preferred method, IMHO, allows the user to adjust the Vdimm to their preferrence. This involves cutting a trace on the back of the board and adding a resistance in this location to force the W83304D to supply more juice to our dimms.

The following pic provides an overview of whats going on on the back of the board. The "may" be a way to do this on the front of the board, but I have to move onto other things, and pretty sure there is not a place on front to do this mod.

Here are my wires quickly soldered in place for this pic:

This next pic simply shows where I mounted the VR and the voltage reading points for Vdimm and Vtt. Note that Vtt track properly well past 3v as I tested it with the Vdimm = 3.3v Rail Mod and at a Vdimm of 3.35v, the Vtt was perfectly 1/2 of Vdimm.

Now, here is the Vdd Mod as well:

Cheers
    Last edited by Hell-Fire; 08-05-2004 at 08:46 AM.

I like my women the way I like my processors...naked.
    I am not the HellFire that writes bios files. I work strictly on voltage modifications.