Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FX5900XT Vmod, anyone?

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by XanderF
    Yet, stock (unmodded), I measured .73 kOhm resistance between these two points! Shouldn't the FB pin to ground pin be 0.0 resistance?
    I don't hope so... it would fry the card... it would be the same as to CONNECT these 2 pins

Anyway... what VR should I get for the VGPU mod? 10K? 5K?
    I'm about to tear off the HS and watercool this sucka so if I can vmod it at the same time it would just be as easy, eh?
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: Do you have a spare PSU lying around?
    Me: No why?
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle
    Me: what PSU was that again?
    Friend: Antec 480w
    Me:........

Xtreme Member
    Damn I cant wait to vmod this sucker :P
    -=Back In Business=-

Xtreme Member
    Hey Macci how much do you think that this card can score in 3dmark01 ?
    -=Back In Business=-

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not Macci but why don't you try the Futuremark Project Search & Compare option

By the way guys, if I choose to voltmod the GPU, will there be another chip like a voltregulator or something that will get hotter too?
    I can put a small heatsink on about any chip so IF that's necessary please tell me which one it is...
    Last edited by Garrett; 03-10-2004 at 12:18 AM.
    lol... This forum requires that you wait 70 seconds between posts. Please try again in 8 seconds.
    *phone rings*
    Friend: My PSU just blew up, I think the second 8800GTX might have been too much for it to handle

Xtreme Member
    I tried Vmodding mine yesterday and it died....first I added a molex connecter from an old broken psu to check the vgpu...booted up and it worked fine reported 1.23 while in 2d mode and 1.43 in 3d mode....I turned of my pc and added the vr to the pin on the isl chip and grounded it on the black wire from the molex connector on the card, the exact same grounding point as the vgpu monitor and I plugged the card back in...making sure that all connections was OK, turned on the pc....the card was making some weird noises and the fan wasnt running and my multimeter was going nuts! and I double checked that my VR was at 0ohm.....just died! well its rma time, luckily I did the mod really clean...so Ill try again as soon as I get a new card...btw would you mind posting some pics of your cards modded ? , so that I have the possibility to check what I did wrong
    -=Back In Business=-

Xtreme Addict
    Originally posted by Bra!nFreeZe^
    I tried Vmodding mine yesterday and it died....first I added a molex connecter from an old broken psu to check the vgpu...booted up and it worked fine reported 1.23 while in 2d mode and 1.43 in 3d mode....I turned of my pc and added the vr to the pin on the isl chip and grounded it on the black wire from the molex connector on the card, the exact same grounding point as the vgpu monitor and I plugged the card back in...making sure that all connections was OK, turned on the pc....the card was making some weird noises and the fan wasnt running and my multimeter was going nuts! and I double checked that my VR was at 0ohm.....just died! well its rma time, luckily I did the mod really clean...so Ill try again as soon as I get a new card...btw would you mind posting some pics of your cards modded ? , so that I have the possibility to check what I did wrong
    You tried to voltmod your card with a VR set to 0 ohm? OMG!!!
    If that's what you did it's no surprise it died, you need to set the VR to its maximum and SLOWLY reduce the resistance, thus upping the voltage... NEVER start at 0 ohm!!
    *phone rings*

Xtreme Member
    Damn I misunderstood! some vmods you have to raise the resistance so the vreg thinks that it doesnt supply enough voltage!! well Ill remember that the next time :P
    -=Back In Business=-

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs up

Well I voltmodded it too... 3.68Kohm and a nice 1.63v in 3D mode...
    Hmmm a pretty big increase in core speed if you ask me...
    478 before the mod, and 542 after!!
    Last edited by Garrett; 03-12-2004 at 03:30 PM.
    *phone rings*

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Bra!nFreeZe^
    Damn I misunderstood! some vmods you have to raise the resistance so the vreg thinks that it doesnt supply enough voltage!! well Ill remember that the next time :P
    Well it's always from MAX to MIN and never the other way around.... like that you gave your GPU like... u-u-uhm.....around 3V....
    Mollov,
    Runnin' a 700MHz SlotA Thunderbird...

HardwareSight.com Owner

Xtreme Member
    No wonder it died then well Im getting a new one next week and if Im lucky...it comes along with a shuttle SN45G
    -=Back In Business=-

Xtreme Member
    Belgique, Belga, Belgio, Belgium, Belgica, Belgie, Belgien
    A 5k VR set to 4.03 gave me a 0.1V increase. I could reach easily 600Mhz on the core in 3D. Didn't test it higher, breaking the 600Mhz barrier is enough for now.
    .:C2D 6600 :: Tuniq tower :: Asus P5B dlx :: 2GBHZ :: OCZ 520W :: 8800GTX :.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well I don't think, that you'll reach 600MHz GPU with a 5900XT.... that's kindda on the unbelievable side....

Not without supercooling...
    Mollov,
    Runnin' a 700MHz SlotA Thunderbird...

HardwareSight.com Owner

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I know it's unbelievable, but it's true. And with plain aircooling.

Here's a 3dmark run @ 600/900
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2218827 (edit: link not valid anymore)

I could reach 543 without vmod. So it's a good core, maybe a fx5950 ultra one
    Last edited by HaLDoL; 03-14-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Are you getting linear improvement when going from stock clocks to those 600/900 clocks (test after every 10MHz jump on GPU and make sure the score goes up)? it seems to me your card might be "throttling" there.

Your card at 600/900 = GT4 of 41.8FPS
    Mine at 526/803 = GT4 of 44FPS
    And that is a very GPU dependant test.

I did have the D3D settings set to 'high performance' but still it shouldn't make such a huge difference..

Xtreme Member
    so you're saying that I might get a better score if I downclock it a bit?

I raised the voltage with 0.2V and the best I could do is 606Mhz on the core. I got 7246 3dmarks but still only 43.9 on GT4
    .:C2D 6600 :: Tuniq tower :: Asus P5B dlx :: 2GBHZ :: OCZ 520W :: 8800GTX :.

cool guys, but can't you up your voltage in the mobo's BIOS ?

i am prob. wrong
    Asus a7n8x delux, 2500 Barton@2117
    Maxtor 120 gig, PNY 5900 xt 128, PNY pc3500, 200 FSB...Watercooled

Xtreme Legend
    the best I could do is 606Mhz on the core. I got 7246 3dmarks but still only 43.9 on GT4
    I guess thats about right for the system you are running
    Nice clock and score.

I got my Albatron mem from 803MHz (minor artifacts) to 911MHz (100% clean, will bench at 936 easily) by removing the small ramsinks and flashing Leadtek 5900XT BIOS in.
    Now I need to try if the vmod and improved ram cooling will help...

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmm... if the card in your photo is actually yours Macci, the blue one, then I have the same one as you, only sold by another vendor called Club3D...
    I got the XFX 5900XT bios in it now, since the memory will go higher then, 820mhz artifactfree, 840 rains artifacts and I'm curious if the Leadtek XT bios works for me...

Some bioses appear to work, but if your computer has been powered down and you power up again, just when you would reach the windows desktop the screen would stay black...

The XFX bios didn't have that problem, maybe I should try the Leadtek... so Macci could you please mail that bios to me?

Also... do you think a mem vmod would make difference?
    I've heard rumours of the mem crapping out on peeps and/or not helping much anyway

Mine's vmodded with the 5K set to 3.68 and gives me 1.63v in 3dmode
    542 core that's what it will do with app. 6900 3dmark03 points
    *phone rings*

Originally posted by macci
    Are you getting linear improvement when going from stock clocks to those 600/900 clocks (test after every 10MHz jump on GPU and make sure the score goes up)? it seems to me your card might be "throttling" there.

Your card at 600/900 = GT4 of 41.8FPS
    Mine at 526/803 = GT4 of 44FPS
    And that is a very GPU dependant test.

I did have the D3D settings set to 'high performance' but still it shouldn't make such a huge difference..
    That is becouse the Point of view 5900xt has loose timings on the mem that is also the reason that the mem clock high

I have my Point of View 5900XT@520mhz core ant 1ghz mem whitout vmods

By the way sorry for my poor englisch

Xtreme Addict
    No problem Beastie

Now go vmod that card and don't come back before you hit 600 core
    *phone rings*

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Garrett
    No problem Beastie

Now go vmod that card and don't come back before you hit 600 core
    According to some, that is impossible ...
    Catch my drift?
    Last edited by HaLDoL; 03-15-2004 at 07:09 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Yes HaLDoL... rofl... ik snap het hoor :P (that was Dutch, for the non-Dutch here )

Looks like I'm going to have to up the voltage a bit more to beat you...

But still we don't have 20k
    *phone rings*

Originally posted by HaLDoL
    According to some, that is impossible ...
    Catch my drift?
    You need a A64 setup

By the way my PoV5900XT is sunday also voltmodded

oops that was for garrett
    Last edited by Beastlock; 03-15-2004 at 02:35 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by Garrett
    Yes HaLDoL... rofl... ik snap het hoor :P (that was Dutch, for the non-Dutch here )

Looks like I'm going to have to up the voltage a bit more to beat you...

But still we don't have 20k
    dutch: hehe, ik was gewoon een beetje verbaasd dat sommigen me niet geloofden. Maar m'n 3dm03 score bewijst genoeg denk ik.

I'll beat 20k easily, once I have some proper cooling on my cpu. Did the benches with only a 120mm papst fan on the cpu. I also did all 3dm01 tests in one run without any tweaking between them. And I should certainly gain some points when I change the LOD.

Also the memory on the gpu has no heatsinks on them. Don't know if that will help. I won't try the vmem mod as it has almost no effect according to Macci.

Still the heatspreader on the core has to go I'll try to reach 620+ on the core and a 7500+ score on 3dm03.

Shame it's getting warmer around here

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs up

can ANYONE send me that Leadtek 5900XT bios PLZ???
    -edit- I already have it... if someone needs it, mail me
    Last edited by Garrett; 03-18-2004 at 10:16 AM.
    *phone rings*

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast