Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Dual 120 Heatercore

Originally posted by Weapon
    built one out of 22 gauge that encloses the entire core w/ a venturi shroud mounted to it. it's for an external top mount
    Sweet! Any details on this one? How did you seal it to the side so that the air goes through the rad rather then slip around the sides?
    - John

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Funbags
    Sweet! Any details on this one? How did you seal it to the side so that the air goes through the rad rather then slip around the sides?
    I built the outer housing with the idea that an it would enclose an internal venturi shroud so it wasn't really hard - just time consuming.

the venturi shroud that is enclosed within the external housing (the lower section that is visible in the pic) was fit to the core and then temporarily mounted so it could be positioned and fit to the outer shell. once I had everything lined up, I marked the general area for the cutouts by tracing them thru the fan cutouts, mounting holes, etc. with a sharpie marker (must have tool for modding) onto the inner venturi. From there, it isn't that hard of a job - you just take the venturi off the temp mount to the core and then position it to where it lines up with the tracings under the outer housing. once you check it for fit, you have a few options - you can line it up and then:
    1. flux the edges and solder/braze it into place
    2. add a layer of goop to the top of the venturi shroud, let it dry and then run a bead of goop around the seams
    3. seal it in place with clear silicon
    4. epoxy in place and then seal seams with weatherstrip, neoprene or cork tape (i use vapco cork tape)

they all work - it just depends on how permanent you want to make the mounting.

I gotta admit that one was a bit of a pain but it was also damn fun to build at the same time.
    Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.
    go to sleep
    go to sleep
    go back to sleep.

carpe noctem.

Doh.. To late already started on this ->

- John

Xtreme Enthusiast
    a two-day early anniversary bump.
    go to sleep
    go to sleep
    go back to sleep.

carpe noctem.

not to be rude, but what the hell for.. didnt take the time to read through the thread, but is there any current info in here?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    not to be rude, but what the hell for.. didnt take the time to read through the thread, but is there any current info in here?
    yep - the core mod is still the exact same as far as swapping out the fittings goes...and putting it back in plain site (at 4:30a.m. anyway) was the surest method for reminding me that I needed to add some more info on dual 120 core mods - including the 342 mod, the 199 mod and a bit more info on the 302 mod.

so...should this one sink back to the abyss and a create a newer, more organized Dual 120 mod thread or should I add it to this one? decisions, decisions.
    go to sleep
    go to sleep
    go back to sleep.

carpe noctem.

i would say make an ew one. this one is so full and confusiong i dont think our current water junkies (myself included) will get the full benefit from it. If you want you can make a new thread and put all hte mods in there and I can ask one of the mods for you and we can make it a sticky. It would be a good sticky.

Xtreme Member
    My hero, looks like I'm going to have an excuse to use a torch over Spring Break now . Awesome guides.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jumanji969
    My hero, looks like I'm going to have an excuse to use a torch over Spring Break now . Awesome guides.
    thanks.

I really need to update it though - there are a lot of tricks up my sleeve that have not made it into this thread yet. I have come up with a fix for the barbed fitting brass 302s that makes them very usable as well as some other tweakage to the process. *note to self - update this thread*
    go to sleep
    go to sleep
    go back to sleep.

carpe noctem.

Here is two pisctures of radiator from Opel REKORD :
    Code:
    http://www.bbpix.com/pix/rekord1.jpg
    http://www.bbpix.com/pix/rekord2.jpg
    Intel Core2Duo E8400™@ 4050MHz (1,3V real in LOAD) >Prime stable< || eVGA 680i SLi A1 (P32) || all fans @ 5V
    silent wc system [D-Tek FuZion + GPU + NB + SB + HDD + DDC Ultra+AC top + MCR320QP + Trodas's res + 11/15 Tygon tubing]
    4x1024MB A-DATA Vitesta 800+ EE (D9GCT) @ 900MHz 4-4-4-8 (2,2V real) || 2x ASUS 8800GT 512MB SLI
    3x WD5000YS - 500GB + Samsung SP2004C-200GB || Samsung SH-S183A || 22" LCD Dell™ E228WFP
    Chieftec DA-01B-D - Bigtower || CORSAIR HX620|| Logitech Cordless MX + MX510 + MOMO Racing + DFP

Dual HeaterCore setup

Hey i was wondering if anyone in here would be willing to build a custom top mounted dual heatercore setup with shroud, fans and cover? Check out the disected diagram... i want the heater core to sit about 1-1.5 inches inside the case so the whole contraption isn't like 6 inches tall. :P

Last edited by sigel; 06-20-2005 at 09:18 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmmmm, does anyone in here do that?

-aMp-

165 @ 2.9 @ 1.45V | 2x1GB G.Skill HZ | NF4 Ultra-D
    MSI X1900XTX | G500 21" Trinitron
    X-Fi Fatality | Z-2300s | Little Dot MkIII | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
    TDX | Maze4 GPU | DDC Topmodded | BIP3
    Stacker STC-T01

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sigel
    Hey i was wondering if anyone in here would be willing to build a custom top mounted dual heatercore setup with shroud, fans and cover? Check out the disected diagram... i want the heater core to sit about 1-1.5 inches inside the case so the whole contraption isn't like 6 inches tall. :P

hmmmmm. that wouldnt be that terribly hard to do. Now that I think about it, a heatercore could be modded so that it would fit just about any depth into the case (and it could be mounted that way independently of the mounting for the external box).

Do you want an enclosure as small as possible in length or are you more concerned about height?? This sounds like a interesting project.
    go to sleep
    go to sleep
    go back to sleep.

carpe noctem.

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon
    hmmmmm. that wouldnt be that terribly hard to do. Now that I think about it, a heatercore could be modded so that it would fit just about any depth into the case (and it could be mounted that way independently of the mounting for the external box).

Do you want an enclosure as small as possible in length or are you more concerned about height?? This sounds like a interesting project.

Well kinda concerned about hight but not really that much... i mean i figured by having the core sit inside about an inch, that it would lower the height a bit and make it look more appealing...most full tower cases have about an 1" - 1.5" between the top and the psu or the first 5-1/4" bay.

Here's the closest pic i've seen to what i want done. Except i want an external enclosure for the fan/shroud/ and a bit of the core so it only sits in the case about 1-1.5" taking up one drivebay at the most.

LINK1

LINK2

Hey Weapon...PM me so we can talk!! I'm at the point where i don't care about the cover.... How much you want for a double heater core + shroud + 2x120mm fans all assmebled and shipped to canada?

alright i just read throught that whole thread and all I can say is wow.
    I have a 1977 pontiac bonneville heatercore sitting here now and Im trying to figure out the easiest way to mod it. I would really like to stay away from the torch if possible because id be too afraid of melting something off thats not supposed to come off. I do want to build my shroud out of steel tho so i kno i need a torch for that. Anyways anyone kno how big in diameter it tube that comes out of the tank is? Is it a standard size?

Thanks
    Sean

Oh btw where can i get one of those threading things?

Xtreme Member
    Hey sdat, a "TAP" ,"one of those threading things"
    Can be found at most good hardware stores.
    Take the core with you and you could find some tube size to fit over it easy also
    I just measured a pc I had cut off, 0.611 range, 39/64th's or 5/8 , (.625)
    un-cut, .622 and the raised part .710
    I have done two and the easyest way for me was to cut off with hacksaw and solder pipe fittings into the tube remaning, you will learn the torch just try it!
    Do have water, fire est, BEER, and maybe a friend handy!

goodluck

k thanks frozen
    Yesterday I cut the pipe off maybe an inch after it comes out of the core, and then I used a 5/8 inch ID thing that fits over the pipe and the other end has threads on the inside. It was a snug fit and i used JB Weld to secure it. I would love to learn to weld with a torch I just dont want my first time to be on a sensitive heatercore so I will buy a torch and learn while making my steel shroud.

just wanted to say thanks to everyone, i have modded my core and made an alluminium shroud, couldnt have done it w/o u guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paint 004.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	36088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shroud.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	36089  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i wish someone would sticky this. i think i'm going to try doing the heatercore conversion myself. i go the torch and such. btw... what happened to the pics in this thread? why do pics disappear on this forum? is there some special type of pruning goin on?

oh and i had a question. where can i find 3/8"NPT x 1/2" barb fittings? i've looked on a few sites and can't find it anywhere. nothing at home depot either (just 5/8"NPTx1/2"barb there).
    Last edited by moonlightcheese; 08-30-2005 at 08:25 AM.
    "premature optimization is the root of all evil" - Donald Knuth

<('_'<) <('_'^) (^'_'^) (^'_')> (>'_')> OMG ITS T3h POWER RANGERS!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlightcheese
    i wish someone would sticky this. i think i'm going to try doing the heatercore conversion myself. i go the torch and such. btw... what happened to the pics in this thread? why do pics disappear on this forum? is there some special type of pruning goin on?

oh and i had a question. where can i find 3/8"NPT x 1/2" barb fittings? i've looked on a few sites and can't find it anywhere. nothing at home depot either (just 5/8"NPTx1/2"barb there).
    mcmaster carr has just about anything you need in the way of barbed fittings.
    www.mcmaster.com
    If you need a local source, check with mom and pop type auto parts stores -- if they do not have them, they can usually order them. NAPA autoparts stores often carry them as well.

dead pics? I will check my pic links later - they are hosted on my private account so they should all still be working.

*edit - cox apparently got my storage space switched over -- most of the pic links have now been repaired....and I now have 5 times the storage space I used to have for pics, etc. time for some more weapon projects to fill up all that empty space.
    Last edited by Weapon; 09-06-2005 at 10:59 PM.
    go to sleep
    go to sleep
    go back to sleep.

carpe noctem.

Xtreme Member
    i live in a highrise and don't have all these wonderful tools available to me, or a place to do the work, so i'm wondering:

1) if i have the local hardware store hacksaw the tube ends off, can i heat up clearflex 60 with a blowdryer and slip it over the ends?

2) will DD's $15 shroud fit the '77 bonny heatercore?

and off topic, have you benched your heatercore against some of the commercial products, like the BIPII or PA120.2?

thanks for the info, and great job on the post!
    retired AMD64 Opteron 170 Toledo CCBBE 0615EPMW 3.1GHz 1.52V with removed IHS
    Intel Q9650 L827A 4.2GHz (467*9) 1.288v
    G.Skill 8GB F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe BIOS V1406
    eVGA GeForce 8800GTS SSC 512MB
    3x Western Digital 640GB Black RAID 0+5
    Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Swiftech H2O-220 Compact 35C/58C
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W
    Dell 2405FPW 24" WUXGA
    Antec Twelve Hundred
    Heatware iTrader eBay

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345