Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swiftech MCW7000-T for Corei7 announced

Hybrid View

Xtreme Enthusiast
    These look quite good for a nppb like myself who might want to dabble in something with a higher performance than water.

Are they only going to fit the 1366 socket or will they be available for AM2+ as well?

Xtreme Member
    @ SteveRo : i have a psu for the TEC alone, not on myn pc psu.

I'm creating a new Cpu cooler with 300w TEC in it, here are some graphics designed on 3d program solidworks.
    This is going to be my next cpu cooler on Evga X58 Classified mobo and a 965 ES :

2x TRUE full coppers, solid plate copper 10mm x 100mm x 100mm,
    the white plate is the TEC itself, green is the motherboard, i used the coldplate of the Swiftech mcp6500 blok,
    and created on size a mounting for getting everything together.
    We are making it now on this moment.

3dmark Vantage : +47K (NO PhysX)
    3dmark11 : +14K
    3dmark06 : +41K
    3dmark05 : +50K
    3dmark03 : +187K
    3dmark01 : +126K
    Wprime32m : 3.233sec
    Wprime1024 : 1m30sec320

Xtreme Member
    Woah that's $300 in heatsink material if you are actually serious about that then I'm amazed. Going to an industrial heatsink manufacturer and getting them to custom design you something would probably end up cheaper. What wattage of TEC do you plan on using?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flak-spammer View Post
    Woah that's $300 in heatsink material if you are actually serious about that then I'm amazed. Going to an industrial heatsink manufacturer and getting them to custom design you something would probably end up cheaper. What wattage of TEC do you plan on using?
    normally this friday this cpu cooler is ready, and then this weekend begins testing.
    3dmark Vantage : +47K (NO PhysX)
    3dmark11 : +14K
    3dmark06 : +41K
    3dmark05 : +50K
    3dmark03 : +187K
    3dmark01 : +126K
    Wprime32m : 3.233sec
    Wprime1024 : 1m30sec320

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Holy Sh*t!!
    Corsair Obsidian 650D - EVGA P67 FTW - Samsung F3 1Tb - 8Gb A-Data cheapest crap DDR3 - Intel Core i5 2500K w/ Corsair H50 - EVGA GTX 295 co-op - Corsair AX650

Xtreme Member
    you can find his buildlog here :

http://www.highflow.nl/forum/f34/chi...a-monsta-2146/

how are you chiller btw?

300w tec
    -to big to say it all- i can only use up to 4 lines

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I am glad to announce that Swiftech will soon be releasing a new liquid cooled thermal head for Intel Core i7.

Expect the device within 6 weeks. There is no pricing information at this time.
    Any updated information on this?
    the Borg Cube:
    Case - Lian Li PC-343B
    Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified (759)
    CPU - i7 920 (D0 stepping), watercooled w/Enzotech Luna Rev.A block
    RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 2000 (8-8-8-24) w/fan
    GPU - EVGA GTX295 quad-SLI, water cooled w/Koolance NX295 blocks
    PSU - Corsair HX1000
    O/S - Windows 7 RC build 7127

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I am glad to announce that Swiftech will soon be releasing a new liquid cooled thermal head for Intel Core i7.

Expect the device within 6 weeks. (03-08-2009) There is no pricing information at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler358 View Post
    Any updated information on this?
    I might be completely wrong BUT....i think they have come up on the problem with powering this thing. But then new products are rarely released on time...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    would this swiftech TEC work on a single PSU like this one:

ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W?

If so, it'd be pretty frickin amazing to have I'd like this with a single loop on the CPU and let's say a 240 or 360 rad + another 360 for SLI/CF vga.

Xtreme Member
    The problem isn't finding a power supply that can deliver the voltage and/or current. The problem is that molex connectors don't have the ability to put out more than 7A safely. Computer PSUs arn't meant for high current applications. So to answer your question to safely power a TEC that draws more than 7A that power supply would not be suitable without significant modification.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The problem isn't finding a power supply that can deliver the voltage and/or current. The problem is that molex connectors don't have the ability to put out more than 7A safely. Computer PSUs arn't meant for high current applications. So to answer your question to safely power a TEC that draws more than 7A that power supply would not be suitable without significant modification.
    could you then mod the TEC so that it uses 2+ molex (like any newer higher end video cards)?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Your idea is sound in the correct situation but unfortunately flak you have missed the subject here....

The issue is the power supply....

It all depends on the actual specs of the TEC which unfortunately Gabe did'nt give in their entirety the problem that exists is that if the specs he did give are working specs as opposed to max specs the power supply to give that much power is readily available BUT at a price...a very big price.
    The problem will be is it really financially practical to potentially have to pay $300-$350 (for unit + PSU) just to achieve say -10º/-20º at "no load" and perhaps 5ºC/15ºC under load. I would be very surprised if they managed to achieve anything more with a direct die cooler.

There is no way one can power this through the molex the current is way too high...a seperate PSU is a must and it will not be a ATX version.

Xtreme Member
    I'm well aware that the external PSUs are costly however I was answering the question as to if an ATX PSU could be used and the answer is no. Simply put this TEC cooler will not be for people without a large budget and that would be obvious from stated specs and required hardware.

Xtreme Member
    Until we get real specs and pricing we won't know...
    the Borg Cube:
    Case - Lian Li PC-343B
    Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified (759)
    CPU - i7 920 (D0 stepping), watercooled w/Enzotech Luna Rev.A block
    RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 2000 (8-8-8-24) w/fan
    GPU - EVGA GTX295 quad-SLI, water cooled w/Koolance NX295 blocks
    PSU - Corsair HX1000
    O/S - Windows 7 RC build 7127

Xtreme Addict
    I thought this was going to come out in six weeks.

Xtreme Member
    i know im waitin for this too...

Xtreme Member
    I would use this on my Xeon if they made the brackets for it. Is swiftech actually going to follow through?
    ~FoxDie~
    CM HAF 932
    MSI Z68A-GD65
    2600k Watercooled @ 4.6 GHz
    Powercolor HD6950
    4x4GB G.skill Ripjaws X 2133
    2x Crucial M4 128GB R0
    WD 1TB Black

Xtreme Member
    there is one out for lga775 already its going to be kinda hard for you to find it though most places are out of stock... the only difference is that the 775 version has a smaller tec but you can open it and install w/e tec you want in it

Xtreme Member
    So would getting an SE-1000-24 Meanwell be a safe bet for the MCW7000 reguardless of what TEC is actually used? Also, even with overtemp settings in bios, whats the chances of the CPU frying itself before it shuts down if the TEC fails? Especially considering this will be on an overclocked 975 $1100 CPU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
    So would getting an SE-1000-24 Meanwell be a safe bet for the MCW7000 reguardless of what TEC is actually used?
    Possibly It depends...wouldn't it be better just to wait and see what comes out ?
    It was supposed to come out in 6 weeks but who knows looks like it might be 6 months...at the speed the electronics industry evolves I would sit on it and wait.

Also, even with overtemp settings in bios, whats the chances of the CPU frying itself before it shuts down if the TEC fails? Especially considering this will be on an overclocked 975 $1100 CPU
    If the overtemp settings in bios wont save it why would any thing else ???

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post

If the overtemp settings in bios wont save it why would any thing else ???
    Because a regular water loop or heatsink still offers some kinda cooling capacity even if fans and pumps break whereas a non functioning TEC does not and in fact becomes an insulator or worse. I would bet a heavily overclocked i7 will continue to heat up beyond whatever temps you set for it to shut down at once the TEC goes and then after the computer stops adding more heat, it will now have to cool back down with nothing to move the heat other then the IHS and a ceramic sheet hindering it cooling down.

No doubt people have raised this issue before, I'll go search while waiting for some enlightenment here.

Xtreme Member
    Because a regular water loop or heatsink still offers some kinda cooling capacity even if fans and pumps break whereas a non functioning TEC does not and in fact becomes an insulator or worse. I would bet a heavily overclocked i7 will continue to heat up beyond whatever temps you set for it to shut down at once the TEC goes and then after the computer stops adding more heat, it will now have to cool back down with nothing to move the heat other then the IHS and a ceramic sheet hindering it cooling down.

No doubt people have raised this issue before, I'll go search while waiting for some enlightenment here.
    Whoa Nelly!! If we are talking about a TEC cooled device supposed to run at say 30C, you can set the shutdown temperature to 50C and never trigger unless the device fails. The TEC, which has significant mass, will be at 50C at shutdown too. The latent heat in a few grams of silicon will not win that fight - I'd be surprised if the core hit 60C in that scenario. And that's not even warm for a 975.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xTKxhom3r View Post
    there is one out for lga775 already its going to be kinda hard for you to find it though most places are out of stock... the only difference is that the 775 version has a smaller tec but you can open it and install w/e tec you want in it
    I think you are confusing the issue here the thread is for MCW7000. Which in my estimation will take a 62mm TEC. Might be wrong but I don't think so.

Your talking about the previous model with a 50mm/40mm TEC...smaller in physical size as well as wattage rating. So there are limitations on the TEC's you can put in it.

Xtreme Addict
    Come on Gabe, give up an update.

Banned
    i wonder how much farther i could OC a i7 920 with a TEC versus a heatkiller 3.0 water block

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast