Thread: My first subzero/DryIce session. *56k warning*

Xtreme 3DTeam Member

My first subzero/DryIce session. *56k warning*

Hi all,

after some years into "extreme overclocking" business, i finally decided to start some benching with serious temperatures!

I recieved 10kg of DryIce yesterday and started benching with my AMD system, bcs. i thought it would be a great start to see how all is acting under subzero. Well, as you guys all know, coldbug on AMD is very horrible, thats the reason why i have no screens, validations or something, just some pictures from the setup.

Ok, now i was a little pissed off and thought it is better to get started with a subzero friendlier system - Intel.

First step was to mod the P5K, just Vmch, Vdroop and Vcore.

Let's start with some pictures of the setup:

I sticked in my old Celeron 331 first -

Validation was ~ equal to max. 1M, something killed my oc, but did not found out what it was.

After that i decided to bench my 6600ES B1, but found fsb wall at around 490MHz and stopped benching with it, bcs. i could not reach sub 11s 1M.. Already have 11.797 on water.

After a few hours of sleeping i sticked in the Celi again and tried to go for 1M WR with 331. A few hours before i benched with 52xxMHz now i stucked at 5030MHz.. But still got a nice time imho! Second place on hwbot.

Now all the DryIce was gone.. I t was really fun and i hope i will have some time soon, to make a session again! Maybe then with some LN2 and better CPUs!

Regards
    PC : Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 + Intel Core i5 i2500k + 2 x Asus HD6870 DirectCU + 2x2GB PC12800 G.Skill Eco 7-8-7-24 + Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe + Scythe Mugen 3.
    Digicam : Pentax *istDL2 + Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL + Cosina F3.5/100mm Makro.
    Heimkino : Samsung LE-46B450 FullHD + Arion AF-4000HDCI + Onkyo TX-SR505E + Quadral Quintas 5.0 + Heco Victa 25A.

Admin
    Great start funkflix. Very clean mods. With your experience hitting big numbers will surely be no problem. Sucks about the FSB wall. :-/

Cellies sure are fun.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Thx!

I hope the retail 6850 will be good to oc and have a high fsb wall, then i will get "some".
    PC : Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 + Intel Core i5 i2500k + 2 x Asus HD6870 DirectCU + 2x2GB PC12800 G.Skill Eco 7-8-7-24 + Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe + Scythe Mugen 3.
    Digicam : Pentax *istDL2 + Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL + Cosina F3.5/100mm Makro.
    Heimkino : Samsung LE-46B450 FullHD + Arion AF-4000HDCI + Onkyo TX-SR505E + Quadral Quintas 5.0 + Heco Victa 25A.

I am Xtreme
    Good and clean benching, great work!
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Member
    Excellent, clean benching as said before too!

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    Nice start into xtreme cooling
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Member
    good job funkflix

Xtreme Member
    Nice Piotres pot! Is it the newer one? I had the same bad luck with my amd system...which to be honest was kinda dead before I started DICE anyway! How is the P5k for subzero? I was thinking of getting one too!
    E8600 4.5ghz folder
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC8500
    2xPowercolor HD 2900XT (modded to run constant 3d clocks)
    Swiftech H220 Ultra Apex

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    Good and clean benching, great work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord AnthraX View Post
    Excellent, clean benching as said before too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3ak View Post
    Nice start into xtreme cooling
    Quote Originally Posted by Zannema View Post
    good job funkflix
    Thx to all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigchrome View Post
    Nice Piotres pot! Is it the newer one? I had the same bad luck with my amd system...which to be honest was kinda dead before I started DICE anyway! How is the P5k for subzero? I was thinking of getting one too!
    Hi,

i had no problems with the board at all, but could not reached the limits of it anyway. I really like P35 for benching, it is faster then P965 and P5K is like the perfect board for some oc, especially if u do a few mods to it. And yes, the Pot is the newer one, produced around one week ago.

Regards
    Last edited by funkflix; 07-07-2007 at 04:49 PM.

symphy
    What temps did you reach finally?

No insane results with the Pentium - but (really) a VERY, VERY nice and clean run for the first time, including the voltmods. Don't waste your time with DI... go for LN and show us some Conroe numbers . You've shown that you're able to do it. =) I made much more "insulation mistakes" the first time by trying to make it more than perfect.

Use nailpolish and try to improve the insulation around the socket (more layers of armaflex) - even with DI cooling you will have condensation if it's not totally airtight. But for sure enough for one run.

Greetings from the south of Germany .
    Last edited by symphy; 07-07-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symphy View Post
    What temps did you reach finally?

No insane results with the Pentium - but (really) a VERY, VERY nice and clean run for the first time, including the voltmods. Don't waste your time with DI... go for LN and show us some Conroe numbers . You've shown that you're able to do it. =) I made much more "insulation mistakes" the first time by trying to make it more than perfect.

Use nailpolish and try to improve the insulation around the socket (more layers of armaflex) - even with DI cooling you will have condensation if it's not totally airtight. But for sure enough for one run.

Greetings from the south of Germany .
    Best temperatures in bios i saw was -56°C with the Celi on 1,39V 4000MHz.

Thx! If i bench with some LN2 in the near future, i will do some better insulation on the board, including nailpolish. Had no condensation on my runs this time.

Greetings back from the south of germany.

-100C Club
    I'm sure you had fun dude, i having a feeling next time you will get the no.1spot with your celi.

I must say also they are some great photos, super quality

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    Great start funkflix. Very clean mods. With your experience hitting big numbers will surely be no problem. Sucks about the FSB wall. :-/

Cellies sure are fun.
    celeron rocks the fsb wal sucked..... but what do you think the hammer was fore

nice pics!
    celeron!!

Xtreme Member
    On pic8
    What the are you using that sledge hammer for....,

Nice setup you got there
    OCTeamDenmark Crew - Cooled and sponsored by CoolerKit.dk

Xtreme Member
    Nice job. I really liked the idea when you had the mobo in the cooler, cut a few more holes and mount some more fans, not sure if it would help a whole lot . But nice job overall, haven't posted my pics from my first Dice run yet
    .:Gaming Rig:.
    *Rebuilding*

very neat job on vmod there...and great result too
    and.. we like your bench room

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by giraffen View Post
    On pic8

Nice setup you got there
    smashing up the dice maybe?

first time subzero, 2nd place celly.
    best of luck on your subzero adventures.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Qman View Post
    I'm sure you had fun dude, i having a feeling next time you will get the no.1spot with your celi.

I must say also they are some great photos, super quality
    I hope i will get first spot next time! Thax!

Quote Originally Posted by Gebba View Post
    celeron rocks the fsb wal sucked..... but what do you think the hammer was fore

nice pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by giraffen View Post
    On pic8

Nice setup you got there
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badhabit View Post
    Nice job. I really liked the idea when you had the mobo in the cooler, cut a few more holes and mount some more fans, not sure if it would help a whole lot . But nice job overall, haven't posted my pics from my first Dice run yet
    Quote Originally Posted by wedfighter View Post
    very neat job on vmod there...and great result too
    and.. we like your bench room
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_c View Post
    smashing up the dice maybe?

first time subzero, 2nd place celly.
    best of luck on your subzero adventures.
    Thx all!

Yes, the hammer was there to crush the DryIce..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good 331 CPU

Я пока сильно не тестировал свой 331 но скоро примусь за него

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice results. I need to find a good cpu to do some dice runs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MV-G
    3770K 5.00
    7970 1200/1700
    GSkill 2400
    Seasonic Platinum 1000
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    - Koolance AC-370 - Swiftech MCP-35X - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Rad - Koolance VID-AR797 -
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA National Debt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice first run funkflix. I am sure it will get you hooked. Good wprime Nordling I picked one a up a few months ago only gave it a few minutes on dice. This was an unmodded EVGA 680i I will try in the next week or two to throw it under LN2 on my modded P5K.

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Thx all and nice Celi results! I will try wprime too next time!

Just one picture more, i made a few hours ago.

Xtreme Legend
    great result.
    not bad for your first dryice session, bro

nice set-up!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    harleybro
    I next week shall continue "to play" with liquid nitrogen. If remains, I shall try it on 331 And the result so is bad, owing to a glitch of memory which has soon died.