Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nvidia 680i supports Penryn

Xtreme Member
    I want to see Intel official statement before I believe it.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    But apart from the fact that 680 runs penryn fine, we still dont know anything, right? Its still not clear if it runs on 965 or 975 :/
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon Biker View Post
    Wasn't one of the points of this thread that the VRM for Penryn is in fact the same as for Conroe (VRM 11.0) and only Nehalem will need an update to 11.1? In that case what's to stop people modding the BIOS to support Penryn, even if Intel and mobo manufacturers won't offer official support?
    This is what I have been able to gather, Intel demoed Penryn initially on 975 or 965, the P35 has official support, and with this rumor (and it is currently a rumor as I understand), it appears that the VRM 11.0 spec for Penryn is valid... I have not noticed anything official from Intel though....

Jack

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FLG_Poncho View Post
    I work for Intel and I'm currently working on enabling 45nm CPUs on current server/workstation platforms... I'm also working on the design for the reference board for Nehalem and I can tell you.... Penryn DOES NOT need 11.1 and that 11.1 isn't even available yet and won't be for another couple months which means that the reference boards that are currently being used for Penryn validation DO NOT have 11.1 and won't at launch.

Thank you very much FLG_Poncho, it is greatly appreciated

Xtreme Mentor
    FLP_Poncho -- thanks for clearing it up.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    I work for Intel and I'm currently working on enabling 45nm CPUs on current server/workstation platforms... I'm also working on the design for the reference board for Nehalem and I can tell you.... Penryn DOES NOT need 11.1 and that 11.1 isn't even available yet and won't be for another couple months which means that the reference boards that are currently being used for Penryn validation DO NOT have 11.1 and won't at launch.

Now...that doesn't mean that Penryn will work on retail 965, 975, or 680 platforms. Yes... the hardware is capapble but it needs software updates (Bios/CPLD) to make it work and whether or not manufactures enable it is up to them and their agreements with Intel. Don't count on it working... hope that it does but prepare yourself in case it doesn't.
    Thank you very much for your statement. So Penryn will work fine on all 1333FSB mainboards that have a updated Bios/CPLD.
    That should put an end to all the speculation.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, we pretty much knew that already. The question remains which boards (if any) will have official support and if they won't will someone be able to do a BIOS mod?
    Docendo discimus (lat.)

Banned
    EVGATech_JacobF has confirmed that EVGA will be releasing the BIOS needed to run Penryn on the 680i.

http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=57172 post #13 sums it all up

I am Xtreme
    now I hope that the p5n32-e plus supports penryn and gets a new bios update.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    what about the p5n-e sli?
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3lr
    Sapphire HD6970
    Team Xtreem 2*1gb 1300
    1TB Western Digital

Xtreme Legend

Now...that doesn't mean that Penryn will work on retail 965, 975, or 680 platforms. Yes... the hardware is capapble but it needs software updates (Bios/CPLD) to make it work and whether or not manufactures enable it is up to them and their agreements with Intel. Don't count on it working... hope that it does but prepare yourself in case it doesn't.
    good to see an Intel guy confirming older VRM spec works provided bioses support the newer CPUs

someone needs to update your account status too i think
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

...so now that the ball is in the motherboard makers' court; i'd say fat chance...unless the mobo makers want to keep selling "old" 965/975/680 motherboards.

i'd give it a 50/50 chance of a bios update at this point in time.

if there is a higher marketshare in 965/975/680/650 boards over newer p35/38 boards then it would make sense to make the older boards compatible with newer intel chips... but that's just wot i think.

i dont think there is a big enough performance difference with penryn chips to "force" everyone to dump their old platforms for a p35/38...

i'd say the mainstream does not turf out a computer once a year, but could easily be tempted into plopping in another faster cpu; but that's the whole point of this thread is it not?

dumping an old mobo isnt that much of a big deal these days cos most of them cost less than a mid-to high-end cpu.

intel should be promoting wide compatibility with new cpu's to increase sales, while i would think that mobo makers will probably be trying to sell more new boards...but to the mobo manufacturers; i dont think they could care less what they sell, but that they sell XX thousands of YY units at ZZ price.

If the majority of buyers already have 965/975/680, then i doubt whether they will go out of their way to kill off p35/38 sales.

if you have a relative product monopoly you can treat the customers like offal and what can the customer do? they can either buy it or not buy it.
    Last edited by adamsleath; 06-11-2007 at 04:44 PM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Legend
    i don't think there will be too many of them jumping into Penryn support

afterall they have to sell newer ones coming out
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Do you think there will be many jumping into Barcelona support? According to Anand, there will be lots of heavy BIOS tweaking to accomodate, while for Penryn, BIOS is only updated for recognition.

i thought barcelona was to be compatible with existing AM2 boards.

....but i havent heard anyting about a new nvidia SLI chipset for Intel Penryn.

I think there is a new Nvidia SLI chipset planned for Phenom, but havent heard any details
    Last edited by adamsleath; 06-11-2007 at 06:29 PM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Barcelona will be with BIOS update. So will Penryn. Penryn BIOS updates are said to be only to recognize the CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3006
    AMD's partners just recently received their first "production quality" Barcelona samples, and as expected, the current boards required some heavy BIOS work before the new chips would even work, much less perform up to the expectations set by AMD.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Cool makes me happy I went with the EVGA 680i A1
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    i don't think there will be too many of them jumping into Penryn support

afterall they have to sell newer ones coming out
    I so hope your wrong on that dinos22, as there will be alot of peed off people that paid $450+(aud) for there 680i boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    Cool makes me happy I went with the EVGA 680i A1
    Thats good that atleast one company is coming on board or out in the open to say they are supporting it. I just hope Gigabyte get off there backsides and do something abort the GA-N680SLi(rev1) board.
    Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6 | Intel CORE 2 Q6600@2835(Damn 680i FSB Limit) | CoolerMaster GeminII Cooler | Asus EN8800GTX SLi | 2xCorsair Twin X2048MB 6400C4 | 2x150G SATA Raptor-X | 8xSamsung HD501LJ | Pioneer DVR-112DBK | 1.44 Floppy Drive | Lian Li PC-201B/S | Enermax Galaxy 1000w | Logitech G15 | Logitech® G5 Laser Mouse| LG L194WT-SF | ACER AL2416W - Altec Lansing AHS602i Head Set | MS VX-6000 Webcam

did you try ASUS? asus support's Yorkfield?
    ------ NO SIGNATURE ------

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ediflorianus View Post
    did you try ASUS? asus support's Yorkfield?
    Necro RESURECTION of thread :|
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    so will 650 mobos support it or not

Xtreme Enthusiast
    /hope for a cheap pci-e 2.0 board thats supports 45nm and ddr2

or

/hope for 965p-ds3 45nm bios update

ok ok ok , I'l let the cat out of the bag .... but plz don't buy yet one of this board's (plz...) nextweek only

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...59&modelmenu=1

- Support Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-core CPU
    ------ NO SIGNATURE ------

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234