Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia 680i supports Penryn

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
    This thread has more rumour and speculation every minute, it would make Fud
    envious
    I'll speculate that some of the speculation here is not really speculation at all.

Xtreme Member
    I hope the RD600 will too, I don't want to switch motherboard anytime soon.
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 1,0| AMD FX-8120@?| Corsair H100| 2x4 GB Patriot Viper Xtreme Division 2 PC15000 9-11-9-27| 2*Powercolor Radeon HD6970 2048MB @ Crossfire| 3*NEC MultiSync EA231WMi 23" Monitorer @ Eyefinity| OCZ Vertex 3 60 GB| 2*Intel 80GB X25-M G2 @ RAID0| Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000W| Cooler Master ATCS 840|

Xtreme Addict
    RD600 will not officially support penryn as Ati doesn't have a 1333fsb licence. Quite whether it will be able to unofficially run them is another thing altogether.

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by billdavis View Post
    i wounder if my jinu117 phase unit will be able to hold a penryn

i sure hope so
    If it can hold a Kentsfield, Penryn will be no different.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
    Are 965 and 975 (and 650) capable of running them, or do they require vrm
    mods? How hard are these mods?
    Could someone please clear this up?
    Thx.
    apparently the 'Santa rosa' Desktop PM965 will support it

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    apparently the 'Santa rosa' Desktop PM965 will support it
    they will support mobile chips you mean
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Quote Originally Posted by onewingedangel View Post
    The e6850 is a 1333fsb conroe rather than penryn.

I would expect the 45nm chips to be a part of a new chip series rather than using the ?6??0 of the 65nm parts, otherwise your not left with any room to ramp up the clocks.

so what is a penryn?

wolfdale. 2cores

yorkfield. 2x2cores, or "native" quad core

45nm.

...so the the 6850 etc are just revised step 1333fsb??? c2d

what about ridgefield?

im so confused (vinny barbarino voice)
    Last edited by adamsleath; 06-01-2007 at 02:38 AM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

all outta gum
    Penryn is a collective name for revised Conroe uarch and 45nm process. Conroe was such a name, too, but it was also a codename of specific core; Allendale, Kentsfield and Clovertown are analogic to Wolfdale and Yorkfield.
    Also Yorkfield is not a native quad core - native means there are four core on single silicon piece (like AMD's K10). Kentsfield, CLovertown and Yorkfield consist of two silicon pieces on one PCB under one IHS.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FLG_Poncho View Post
    Not sure... I'm more chipset/platform focused, though I would guess that it's the same as previous Conroe CPUs. As I understand it there wasn't a drop in performance going from 32 to 64 bit.... just not as much of an improvement compared to other 64 bit CPUs. A lot of theories exist for this.... and the one I side with is that Intel doesn't want to take marketshare from the Itanium line so they focus more on 32 bit performance. Just a guess though.
    The MacroOP fusion in long(64bit) mode is disabled because the instructions are some longer(48bits in average) and the 24byte fetcher is unable to fetch enough instructions which can be fused. This has nothing to do with Itanium, because Core2 and Itanium are different architectures, are using different OS-es and software and are not competing anyhow. If Itanium has a competitor on the 64bit field that would be Opteron 8xx/8xxx.

On topic, I wouldn't use Penryn on a board without P35.
    Last edited by gOJDO; 06-01-2007 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xoqolatl View Post
    Penryn is a collective name for revised Conroe uarch and 45nm process. Conroe was such a name, too, but it was also a codename of specific core; Allendale, Kentsfield and Clovertown are analogic to Wolfdale and Yorkfield.
    Actually, Penryn is the codename for the mobile version of the 45nm shrink Core microarchitecture, the successor to Merom.

Conroe never covered the whole family (Merom was used initially), and only refers to the desktop version of 65nm Core ľarch MPU.

Long story short:
    (market) 65nm Core ľA -> 45nm Core ľA

(mobile DC) Merom -> Penryn

(desktop DC) Conroe -> Wolfdale
    (desktop QC) Kentsfield -> Yorkfield

(server DC) Woodcrest -> ???
    (server QC) Clovertown -> Harpertown

mmm i'v since read some of the penryn desktop thread and it is all as clear as mud now

anyone have specific details on why a penryn would NOT function in motherboards other than p35?

i mean the p35 is just better all round and has wicked quad core clocking potential doesnt it?
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Bios and CPLD code.... that's it provided the board supports Core2Duo CPUs.
    Are you sure that's it? AFAIK, there are conflicting rumors about penryn needing a new VRM version on the mobo (kind of like only some of the later 975 boards support Conroe), which no BIOS code could correct.
    Q9550@3.71, 1.3v load / 4GB / 8800GT 740-975-1890 / Commando / Xonar D2 / MCW60+Apogee GT / Vista X64
    Q9300@2.5, 1.12v load/ 2GB / 8800GS stock / GA-G31M-S2L / Scythe Ninja / Ubuntu 8.04
    Macbook 13" Merom 1.83, 0.975v

Xtreme Cruncher
    nvm
    Last edited by Origin_Unknown; 06-01-2007 at 09:58 AM.

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    hey guys

Penryn is supported on 680i boards....."unofficially"

Dinos22
    any chipset that supports c2d will support 45nm chips afaik.
    the important thing is the vrm spec of the mainboard, not the chipset i thought?

Xtreme Addict
    Yes I'm sure. Everybody that I've talked to, as well as every board that I've enabled 45nm CPUs on just needed updates to the Bios and/or CPLD code. The only VRM update in the future is VRM11.1, and that won't happen until the Nehalem architechture. The Spec for Penryn calls for VRM11.0
    Good news!
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

if that vrm thing is the same then hopefully a bios update will magically appear sometime (abracadabra...woosh)
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    mmm i'v since read some of the penryn desktop thread and it is all as clear as mud now

anyone have specific details on why a penryn would NOT function in motherboards other than p35?

i mean the p35 is just better all round and has wicked quad core clocking potential doesnt it?
    while we're on topic of quad cores

there will be another revision coming out soon Rev.D with even better quad core OC potential
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Addict
    Can it support Penryn? With a bios fix.... yes. Will it support Penryn? That's 150% up to Asus. The board is capable, provided it supports Conroe, but it needs to have it's software updated in order to run Penryn. Now.... look at it this way: If you were Asus, or any company for that matter, and see on the horizon a CPU that is badass and that everybody will want.... do you try and capitalize on it and force people to purchase a new board? Or do you make it so those people can upgrade without putting another dime in your pocket? A shady thing to do? Meh.... maybe, but that's the reality. I love when people blame INtel for new sockets, chipsets that don't support new CPUs, etc. It has little to do with INtel since the motherboard companies want you to have to buy new boards.... well, intel does as well but to a lesser degree. Intel makes it money from the OEMs that will buy new chipsets regardless.
    let's hope not. but you miss the fact that some brands might support penryn with a simple Bios-Update and do you think the disappointed Asus-board-owners would buy the next Asus? I don't think so and if you look at it this way such a behaviour could easily backfire

all my Boards up to now were from Asus, but if my P5W-DH doesn't support Penryn but other 975X do, then it was the last Asus I bought I'm sure I'm not the only one who would react in this way. we got several good brands out there, so why not try another?
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Monster
    Please change the thread title because is not just i680 that will support Penryn.

There are many motherboards that supports 1333.

Xtreme Member
    OK, so what do you do if you have to buy a new board right now? Do you pay more for a maybe not very good P35 board, or do you buy a cheaper and kick-ass P965 board like the DFI or QuadGT and hope that somehow they will support Penryn?
    Docendo discimus (lat.)

Xtreme Legend
    haven't heard of any current P965 board with VRM required to run Penryns
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Member
    Wasn't one of the points of this thread that the VRM for Penryn is in fact the same as for Conroe (VRM 11.0) and only Nehalem will need an update to 11.1? In that case what's to stop people modding the BIOS to support Penryn, even if Intel and mobo manufacturers won't offer official support?
    Docendo discimus (lat.)

Xtreme Legend
    little birdie was not 100% clear whether all 680i boards have VRM 11.1......so i can't answer that question...
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/12619
    Ragones told me existing nForce 600-series mobos already support Intel's upcoming 45nm Penryn processors and 1333MHz front-side bus speeds.

Thanks FLG Poncho.

You heard it guys, no need to argue the point any longer
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel