Thread: The Arrival of TeraFLOP Computing

Xtreme News

The Arrival of TeraFLOP Computing

At IDF this year, Intel again showed off its 80-core processor, but this time using a working sample and a hell of a lot more detail on how the project came about. Currently, the processor requires a ton of life support to keep it going and interact with it; it’s certainly no desktop part in its current form. However the guys behind the research project make no apologies for this since it is nothing more than a technology demonstration and a proof of concept that could be adopted into future products.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...mputing/1.html

Xtreme News

Currently Intel has three terascale chips but, when we saw them, only two were working. The chip requires watercooling in order to minimise current leakage, despite being built on Intel’s very capable 65nm process. The engineers were able to overclock the 80 cores to 6.26GHz delivering two TeraFLOPs of data, at a cost of 191.79W heat output. In comparison, a single TeraFLOP can be achieved at a very reasonable 2.92GHz and an equally respectable 68W thermal design power (TDP).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice find, I am glad this is turning into a cool project for Intel.

Xtreme Addict
    IIRC, already posted about a month ago
    I was about to post it, too, but was late to it.
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R