Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: yayy!! another dead P5N-E SLI

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    where do you come up with selective memory
    ...here:

ok well my 1st P5N-E SLI was running jsut fine and then for no reason wouldnt boot, no post beeps no post, just the hard drive light stayed on.

now my 2nd one which was running just fine and dandy has just gone and done the same thing.

see you guys are saying "having so much trouble"
    thats just it i aint having all this trouble lol , so to speak.
    i havent had any troubles with it yet. just this death lol.
    ...I just found it a bit funny that you started the thread by saying that your 1st board died (for no apparent reason), then your 2nd one has now died (again, for no apparent reason) and then further down in the thread you give the impression that you're surprised that people talk about having so much trouble wih these boards (there's pretty much always a handfull of 'open box' ASUS boards at the bottom of the Newegg 600-series mb list - I guess that list is about to get one item longer ).

Again, I don't mean to derail the thread - I was just yanking your chain a bit.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    my ram only needs 2.2 volts.
    Ah, but wouldn't it prefer 2.4v?
    E8600 4.5ghz folder
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
    2x2GB OCZ Reaper PC8500
    2xPowercolor HD 2900XT (modded to run constant 3d clocks)
    Swiftech H220 Ultra Apex

Xtreme Addict
    this thread made me get a dfi board lol. 965p-s
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

I am Xtreme
    well there may be some light at the end of this dark and gloomy tunnel

a guy here at work had the same thing happen, but his was related to a bad stick of ram.
    it locked at the exact same post spot and everything.
    his hard drive light stayed on and his cdrom light was blinking.

so he replaced the bad stick and the same thing happened, so he stuck in the asus cdrom and it automatically repaired the corrupt bios by reflashing the board automatically
    so....
    this would explain why the cdrom is staying on like its looking for something. you can hear the laser head trying to read something.
    i never even thought of this before. DOH!!

there maybe some hope here.

i just wish i had known this before i went and tore the whole system down.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    well there may be some light at the end of this dark and gloomy tunnel

a guy here at work had the same thing happen, but his was related to a bad stick of ram.
    it locked at the exact same post spot and everything.
    his hard drive light stayed on and his cdrom light was blinking.

so he replaced the bad stick and the same thing happened, so he stuck in the asus cdrom and it automatically repaired the corrupt bios by reflashing the board automatically
    so....
    this would explain why the cdrom is staying on like its looking for something. you can hear the laser head trying to read something.
    i never even thought of this before. DOH!!

there maybe some hope here.

i just wish i had known this before i went and tore the whole system down.
    Yeah, that's what i thought too. BOTH times i had a P5B die. putting in the CD didn't do anything for me. But you never know..

I am Xtreme
    i suppose its worth a shot but i do have the unit here with me at work and am waiting to get a new RMA number back from Trinity @ Asus. (she's the one who helped me last time to i emailed her directly again for an RMA).

i should have time to run home on lunch and give it a try before doing the RMA.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    i suppose its worth a shot but i do have the unit here with me at work and am waiting to get a new RMA number back from Trinity @ Asus. (she's the one who helped me last time to i emailed her directly again for an RMA).

i should have time to run home on lunch and give it a try before doing the RMA.
    Good luck man! I've had a tough time with boards dying all over.. just crossed my fingers and im hoping this DFI 965p doesn't die too later on.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanki View Post
    ...here:

...I just found it a bit funny that you started the thread by saying that your 1st board died (for no apparent reason), then your 2nd one has now died (again, for no apparent reason) and then further down in the thread you give the impression that you're surprised that people talk about having so much trouble wih these boards (there's pretty much always a handfull of 'open box' ASUS boards at the bottom of the Newegg 600-series mb list - I guess that list is about to get one item longer ).

Again, I don't mean to derail the thread - I was just yanking your chain a bit.

this is asus, i chalk this up to normality for their hardware.
    but two boards doing this, sure its odd, but i dont call it an issue.
    i mean obviously there is something wrong, as you see above a guy here at work had the same thing happen, and another guy here said the same thing happened to him or a friend.
    its not a huge issue happening alot, and corrupted bios's do happen. but they shouldnt be happening this often thats for sure!

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    infact i have been loving this board to death...
    maybe love is the cause of its death?

Main Rig:
    CPU Intel i5 2500K @ 4500mhz
    Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Memory 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    Video Cards Sapphire 5850
    PSU Silverstone ST75F Strider 750W
    Hard Drive OCZ Solid 3 60GB | OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Samsung 103SJ's 4TB
    Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 | 1 Yate Loon D12SM 120MM

Xtreme Cruncher
    this is asus, i chalk this up to normality for their hardware.
    but two boards doing this, sure its odd, but i dont call it an issue.
    i mean obviously there is something wrong, as you see above a guy here at work had the same thing happen, and another guy here said the same thing happened to him or a friend.
    its not a huge issue happening alot, and corrupted bios's do happen. but they shouldnt be happening this often thats for sure!
    I hope this works for you. I've got a P5N-E SLi that's been working wonderfully for me, once I get the vdroop sorted, and if this happens frequently, I'd like to know I've got an easy fix.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Xtreme Member
    Well mine arried in the box DOA. now as for letting a presumed dead motherboard lay for 3 days and then it lives again makes me think of Easter.
    If not Easter then Asus should nick name the board the opossum.
    I should get my new board back later this week. I am looking forward to testing it out. unfortunately til I get a new liquid cooler set up it will only have a stock cooler

WZ

I am Xtreme
    was yours DOA as in doing the same thing as i have described ?

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    No Lestat I never had the pleasure of seeing even a bios page.it was just dead.

WZ

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lestat, have you tried the board with cheaper ram? because my board didnt get past the post screen when i first turned it on, so i had to install a stick of 533 ram, manually set it to 2.178v in the bios, turn it off, install my crucial 6400,s and everything worked fine.turns out the bios sets my ram to 800mhz 1.8v by default.
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
    Gigabyte ep45-ud3lr
    Sapphire HD6970
    Team Xtreem 2*1gb 1300
    1TB Western Digital

I am Xtreme
    no the gskill hz's dont need any swapping they will boot at 1.8v and run there up to 800 5-5-5 so...
    and i have two kits of it, one EPP one non EPP
    but th eboard itself doesnt even have a working EPP so i dont know what its there.
    you enable it and it shuts off all your overclocking anyways.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12