Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Vapo PE Insulation.. but...

New Vapo PE Insulation.. but...

Hey all you clever heads!

First. Sorry for my bad inglesh.

So to the problem. My Vapo was in a serious need of new insulation.
    and i changed it with some brand new Armaflex from the old thin cr@ppy one.
    And a changed the PSU from a normal old ATX 350w with 12a on the 12V line. That should be fine for a Vapo PE. But the new one is a 400W BTX ( or what it so ever is called. You know, the new ones for LGA 775 boards and so on.. Picture is added further down the page .. )

This is how it looks when the new is on :

Personal, it looks fine ( for a first time job )

BUT!!

Know my Vapo is running like cr@p! First of all it wouldnīt start if the 20a 12V
    line is connected. Only if the normalt ATX caple is connected to the Chillcontroller. If i plug the 12v line to the 12V ( as you normally do ) it just wont start, ... or, the fans startīs in about 5 secs and then the chillcontroller is the only thing there is running. It shows 48 degrees celcius ( And as far as i know there is NOT 48 degrees in Denmark right know ) ..

And my connection looks like this :

The ATX/BTX Caple plugged into the Normal ATX caple , you can see what i mean. For me it looks right.

Here is what i mean with the 12V Line, that is not connected to the ChillController.

_______ What could the problem be here ?? ________

The other Question, is to the insulation.

Here is the temps ive got with the new insulation. Normal it hits the -34. Know its :

The Evap IS cold.. but not could enough.

___ What is wrong? Are there air coming to the suction line? Or what is wrong?

Hope you know what i mean.

Best Regards , Rasmus.
    Phase Change Cooling

Some one ? .. Please
    Phase Change Cooling

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well first off all I think you explained it very well. I'm not an expert, but it looks fine for me connected the ways it should be.

As I see at first picture the isolated pipe should not be horizontal like that it is says in the manual it could me flooding the compressor what may give you the worse temps. So bend the pipe down a bit so it is in an angle.

About the power cables weird, can't answer that one...

And give the rest some more time to react on your topic we have a time difference on the world you know
    Last edited by Ramaistro; 03-13-2007 at 12:25 AM.

Ramaistro. Thank you very mutch for your answer!! I will try that later!!
    and i will wright the results for ya!

Hehe yeah you got that right , i will just be patient!

Thanks alot again!
    Phase Change Cooling

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sure no problem. I was thinking some more....

Maybe because your old isolation wasn't that good you didn't get any floodback. Now with the new isolation it is colder in the suction pipe what causes floodback...

So if i bend the suction line a little downwards, it should help a little ?

Thanks again!

rasmus.
    Phase Change Cooling

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well I can't garantee this but it is in the manual that it shouldn't be horizontal because else fluid could flow back into the compressor.. Sot it could help but it is not sure...

i´ll give it a try later when im home and post.

thanks buddy!
    Phase Change Cooling

Damn.. i have just tryed what you said. And know ive got -18 ,sometimes -20.
    When i´ll pull a finger on the evap, it goes down to -16.

Hmm... i think i will take the unit out from the case and put new insulation on again..
    Phase Change Cooling

-100c Club Member
    have you repositioned the temp probe?

Nope not at all, its stock i this black tape. So i havent moved it.
    Phase Change Cooling

Banned
    Could it be stuck oil or a leak of gas?

There is no leak at all.

Stuck oil, i dont know ? ..

But in the suction line, it sounds like when the gas returns ( the system is running) that you are standing on the beach and hearing the waves going up along the beach coath.. Is that okay? i mean it is.

But should i bend the suction more?

Here is some pics, after i´ve changed the insulation again.

hmm, any ideas?
    Phase Change Cooling

damn .. i tryed to bend the suction a little downwards again. -13 was what i got.

Then i tryed to hold my hand on the evap, and it went to +11 ..

i dont understand Anything now .. haha , doooh.

Maybe i´ll should try to start it without any insulation?
    Phase Change Cooling

okay i think i´ve got the problem.

What i was saying about the 12VATX line, is no matter. ( The manual was so kind to tell me that.. ) ..

But the insulation problem, is still here.
    ive know got the evap down to -18. That was when i rolled a sock around the suction line next to the evap. So i think there is a hole somewhere at the top of the armaflex..

íll be back.
    Phase Change Cooling

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Raller View Post
    But in the suction line, it sounds like when the gas returns ( the system is running) that you are standing on the beach and hearing the waves going up along the beach coath.. Is that okay? i mean it is.
    That can be bad... You dont want much liquid in the suction line and you sure as hell dont want liquid getting to the compressor. The compressor might try to compress the liquid and that can and will sooner or later kill your compressor.

I think you are getting that liquid flow back because you arent putting a load on the evap so its getting flooded with liquid refrigerant and that is in turn getting sucked back into the compressor. Put a load on it and see if you still get the hissing and popping sound.

Okay, i just dont have a load tester right here.. but can a hair dryer do the job?

I see what you mean. Thanks alot buddy!
    Phase Change Cooling

Banned
    What about your pc?

I guess you could use a blow torch

Humm looking at the photo you havent thesuction line totaly sealed up,

Does the vapo have a sub cooler coil of cap tube effect at all just above the evaop on the back of it and could he of moved it?

I dont have a system to test it on right now..

oh yes, a blow torch. What about some lava? hahaha..

If it gets to plus 11 degrees by my hand.. i dont wanna know how the evap looks and the temp is with a blow torch
    Phase Change Cooling

Banned
    In the photo it looks like the cap tube which i guess is normla wraped round the very top of the suction line coming off the evap is no logner there!!!

I belive that could be the problem.

If it's hitting 11c in you hand then it's not going to hold any heat load at all

Xtreme Cruncher
    I forgot to say this before... is that hissing and popping sound just coming from the suction line or is it also coming from the compressor? I know it might be hard to hear it when the compressor is running, but put your ear by the compressor and listen. If you have that popping sound (sounds like when you deep fry something) in the compressor, shut it off to keep liquid from getting pulled into the cylinder and snapping the connecting rod.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    I forgot to say this before... is that hissing and popping sound just coming from the suction line or is it also coming from the compressor? I know it might be hard to hear it when the compressor is running, but put your ear by the compressor and listen. If you have that popping sound (sounds like when you deep fry something) in the compressor, shut it off to keep liquid from getting pulled into the cylinder and snapping the connecting rod.
    And if he does that finds it then what....?

if i correct understand what your mean. You say the captube normally is around the suction line? .. yeah, i know on Prometiea´s it is. But not on a VapoChill (pe).. Here it is inside the suction line..

see picture.. fast paint skills

Phase Change Cooling

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well it sounds like hes put himself at a risk of doing that before... something is up with his setup because no matter how he puts the suction line, his temps keep going up meaning the refrigerant is either not getting to the evap (maybe clogged cap tube?) or the evap is flooded and the refrigerant is boiling off in the suction line and inside the compressor housing.

I say try running the compressor for a short time and see if you get hissing and popping in the compressor housing or if its just inside the suction line.

The sound is comming from the filter / dryer there is at the top of the suction. ..

Again, see the picture to see that i mean. What i mean is the cigar at the top os the suction.
    Phase Change Cooling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast