Thread: TheRed's H20 Cooled 830 Project log *(56k=anger)

Xtreme Member

TheRed's H20 Cooled 830 Project log *(56k=anger)

1st Project log for 1st Water cooled system

Hey guys, for the past 4 months or so I've been planning this project. Hearing about new water blocks that were “just about to come out”, and the question whether it was worth the money just kept me from actually starting it. Slowly though parts started to come in, and with good timing I had everything for the start of my spring break. So about after 20 hours of work (fun work) this is what I got to show you guys. You guys basically taught me about water cooling so thanks to you, thanks to Quoc also (from petrastechshop), I probably called him 15 times in a manner of 2 days lol.

Pre project pics:

The whole command center

front of the case

side views

night side views

And now for the start of the project:

Parts

I will find out later that I forgot to install the O ring under Petras Top.....lol

Here you can see some random stuff from the case and my mobo tray with marking for holes to be cut

The case almost stripped completely

my motherboard chillin

I inverted the case and layed rads in just get a feeling for how its going to look.

Reasons for the inversion: One, my mobo has only 2 regular pci slots, one being occupied by my x-fi. If i had left the case in its normal orientation the airflow from the fans pushing through the rad into my case would almost be 50% blocked by the sound card. It was only a half an inch or so above the rad, even in the higher of the 2 pci slots. So by inverting I now have the airflow coming in from my double rad blowing over the cpu area, mosfets, and even the northbridge. Later or I will purchase the thermalright mosfet coolers which will be in the direct path of the airflow, and an aftermarket nb cooler. Good stuff

for the rear rad plus the fan to fit (rad is inside the case, fan attatched outside) I needed to remove these 4 metal brackets similar to the ones preventing lage psu's from being installed. They just are there to hold those black plastic fan holders that come on the side panel air flow crazy thing. So i just drilled out the rivets and was left with this

First off, I apologize to all children and women for my friends engraving skills, he's a sneaky one lol. Anywho, here you can see the holes cut out on the motherboard tray. Sides sanded with a handfile and sandpaper. All cuts are done with my dremel btw.

Taping a template for a Dual rad and using my handy dremel I got this

my holes where off my +/- a couple mm for each one so I had to widen the holes to accommodate

The Single rad fitted in with screws and a fan. I also put a uv blue gasket between the rad and case, and a black gasket between the case and fan. You can kinda see them in the pics. As simple as it looks it was kinda hard to get right. The rad holes were then off of the fan holes already predrilled in the case so me and my friend were stumped for awhile (hence the various confused pictures of us) but we got it done. Maybe it was the fact that it was 2 in the morning....

view through front and my method of hd suspension

There needed to be a way for wires to go from beneath the case, where the fans are, up to the power supply, so on each side of the drive bays (in case I ever revert it back to a normal layout) I drilled holes big enough for 3 pin connectors to fit through. Its kinda hard to see but...

And here is the work area in the garage. Many hours of hypothesizing occurred in this concrete hobbit hole hahaha

Now for the res and pump placement. First off for the pump. After going to a hardware store I found a perfect little bracket...

...that I spray painted black. Now that will mount to the motherboard tray with acrylic sitting on top to hold the pump. And on top of that would be some Petras gelllly stuff.

I cut out 2 pieces of acrylic the exact same size that would match the pumps width and depth. One piece was just clear acrylic, I painted it black and that was the bottom black layer you see above. One top of that is a piece of UV Blue acrylic. And on top of that is the Gelllly stuff. So my theory was that it would hold the pump and when light hit it the uv blue would glow and at the same time light up the Gellly stuff.

The pump bracket need a little padding though between it and the motherboard tray so what better way than salvaging a liverpool coaster! I needed a little liverpool somewhere in the case!

So with that done, I drilled the holes in the motherboard tray and also a hole for the clip of the EK multioption res to mount to. I am going to have the res feeding directly into the inlet of the pump so I had to make sure the bottom barb on the res was right above the pump. I achieved this by a complex washer setup lol. Turned out fine though

And yessss the res is upside down. Not thinking it would make that much of a difference, I installed it that was because it just fit in the case better. Soon though into my first leak test I realized that there shouldn't be a vortex of bubbles feeding into the pump, and the tubes shouldn't be white with bubbles as the pump ran. There are no pics of this because it was a dark time in the process of my build hahaha. Thanks Quoc for help with this issue!

Pic of me cutting acrylic in my motorbike gloves with an Airsoft mask....

Many have told me that wielding a dremel wearing this attire is somewhat scary but I beg to differ.

Me and my friends also had an Idea for the Fillport. Originally my plan was to put it just the top of the case somewhere with the quick disconnect inbetween the top of my res and the fillport, that way I could take out the whole loop without undoing tubing or anything. However my friend thought that I should just do it somewhere in the front. So I went with that and combined it with some switches I bought from Radio Shack that would control the lights....

Good stuff

The next phase was migrating to the kitchen for tube fitting and leak testing.

Here is the tube fitting ordeal

It is about an hour after this that I attempted the first leak test. Problem number one was a leak from the pump. As I mentioned earlier somehow the O ring that goes in between the pump top and bottom was not put back in. And I was completely oblivious to this, so when I started seeing water coming from the center of the pump, not the barbs, I got that sinking feeling in the stomach that makes you want to wake up as if from a nightmare. Luckily though I somehow took it apart and saw a faint ring from something....and bam! O ring! So i ran upstairs to my room where i stashed the stock top and found the O ring stuck in its little groove. There we go! Just let the pump dry completely and more leak testing.

Then the res issue. Advice for any noobs out there. If there is a massive vortex of bubbles in your res feeding right into your pump, somethings wrong. If your tubes are white because of bubbles when your pump is running somethings wrong. If you spend 4 hours trying to but still cant Fu&#ing bleed the stupid freaking loop, somethings wrong. If your pump makes you say “wow this thing is much much louder.....wtf why is this so loud”, then somethings wrong. So with some hypothesizing with Quoc, I reversed the pump (Maybe Eddy actually made that little divider for a purpose...) and what do you know, its at least 8 times quieter, and bleeds in a manner of minutes.........it is true I did waste 5 hours of my life learning these lessons.

Well, leak testing is done and now time to install in the case

And I promise, the dye is much more orange in real life....I swear! Seriously though, its more orange, and the lighting in my case isn't so purple.

Notice how the bend under the pump is rife with zip ties lol. It worked though, no kinks

My grandpa posing for the pic lol

Phase 3........wiring the whole system up

K this is where I get obsessive. I like organizing so I do my best to nip and tuck wires everywhere I can. I stayed up till 5 in the morning doing all the wiring....im crazy i know....and my fingers absolutely despised me after.

All wired up

Fans on the bottom

Grandpa helping with a multimeter question

This is where the quick disconnect goes, still inbetween the top of the res and the fillport, but the fillport remember is in the front. Kinda hard to see I know

The mess on the other side.........ewwww

still fits

Some Glory shots

Thanks to this forum and everybody in it for advice and again thanks Quoc lol. Hope you guys liked it! Stay tuned for some pics of it back in my room and some good night shots.

BTW: Temps are pretty good I think. Hardmounting the GTX with a backplate off of an zalman 9500 im getting about 38-40 idle on both cores with 1.44 vcore and 53-56 load. My gpu doesnt even really change temps while gaming lol, it idles at 33. While playing Fear for an hour or so my cpu temps went up 2 degrees from idle and my graphics card when up 1 degree lol. I guess its time to voltmod my 7900GT.
    ~~~Intel C2D 6600 (L29B) @ 3.2 - Asus P5W64 WS Pro - 2gig Team 667mhz (3-3-3-8) - eVGA 7900GT (580mhz x 800mhz) - X-Fi Fatal1ty - 150gig Raptor - 200gb WD hd - OCZ 700w GameXstream - Black Stacker 830 - Dell 24" 2407 A03 || X-fi > CI Audio VHP-1 > Grado HF-1 #90

Petra's DDCT-01s on DDC-2 > MCR-220 w/ 2 coolinks > hardmounted Apogee GTX with backplate > BIP 1x120mm rad w/ scythe fan > MCW 60 + ramsinks > EK 150 multioption res containing Distilled water + pt nuke + cool-cases-usa uv orange dye || all connected with Tygon 7/16ID 11/16OD

PROJECT LOG

Xtreme Addict
    That is one clean build, awesome job man, oh and where in socal are you located?
    i9-10900k@5.3ghz//MSI MEG z490 Unify//32GB Gskill TridentZ b.die@DDR4666//RTX 2080ti(+150/+700) kingpin bios//Samsung 970 Pro//Corsair AX1200i
    Custom Loop: Dual DDCs->Dual EK XE360 w/GT's -> HK IV CPU -> HK IV GPU ->EK X3 Res controlled by Aquaero 6

Egyptian OverClocker
    why two threads ?
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circaflex View Post
    That is one clean build, awesome job man, oh and where in socal are you located?
    Right near santa monica

SaFrOuT: Some people dont wander into the water cooling forums, so I just posted it in here also. Heck, there are still sub forums I havnt been into really lol.

peace
    ~~~Intel C2D 6600 (L29B) @ 3.2 - Asus P5W64 WS Pro - 2gig Team 667mhz (3-3-3-8) - eVGA 7900GT (580mhz x 800mhz) - X-Fi Fatal1ty - 150gig Raptor - 200gb WD hd - OCZ 700w GameXstream - Black Stacker 830 - Dell 24" 2407 A03 || X-fi > CI Audio VHP-1 > Grado HF-1 #90

Petra's DDCT-01s on DDC-2 > MCR-220 w/ 2 coolinks > hardmounted Apogee GTX with backplate > BIP 1x120mm rad w/ scythe fan > MCW 60 + ramsinks > EK 150 multioption res containing Distilled water + pt nuke + cool-cases-usa uv orange dye || all connected with Tygon 7/16ID 11/16OD

PROJECT LOG

A great job man!!!
    CPU: Q6600 G0 @ 3,6
    MB: Asus P5K Deluxe
    RAM: 4*1 GB Cellshock PC8000
    STORAGE: 2x 80 Gb Samsung Raid 0
    VIDEO: Asus 8800 GTX
    POWER SUPPLY: Tagan Easyconn 700W
    CASE: Cooler Master Stacker
    LCD: Samsung 205BW
    COOLING CPU: Tuniq Tower

Xtreme Addict
    awesome work, congratz

I am Xtreme
    Nice clean build man, does the extra radiator help a lot, can you give me some temps on ya CPU and GFX card ?

My E6600 (non lapped) at 3600Mhz 1.42 volts at around 58°C orthos load

Geforce 8800GTX ( stock clocks ) GPU at 30°C idle and 38°C load (Few 3dmark runs)
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    i loved your stacker before h2o, now i love it even more. nice job.
    AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
    Geil Ultra 1GB PC3200 RAM
    250+640GB
    Sapphire X850XT PE
    SINGLEC0RE4EVER

Xtreme Member
    Looks Fantastic, great work
    en4cer's system!

DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS
    AMD Phenom 9850 BE @ 3.4Ghz 1.35v
    4GB Corsair Dominator @ 1066MHz 5-5-5 2.2v
    Visiontek ATI Radeon HD4870
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    2x Western Digital 320GB SATA-II
    Lian-Li PC-A17B Case
    Corsair 750TX 750W Power Supply
    Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 Speakers
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64

HEAT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great job.

Very organized.
    Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.0 - Load @ 32c°| Gigabyte P35 DS3P | 2gb Crucial Ballistix Pc2-8500| eVGA 8800GTX| X-fi Fatal1ty | OCZ GameXStream 600w | Custom Watercooled | Custom-built Case

Dtek Fuzion | DD Maze4 Acetal | Swiftech MCR-320 | DD D5

3dMark01 3dMark05 3dMark06 Aq3 SuperPi

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't beleive in passive cooling.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Nice clean build man, does the extra radiator help a lot, can you give me some temps on ya CPU and GFX card ?

My E6600 (non lapped) at 3600Mhz 1.42 volts at around 58°C orthos load

Geforce 8800GTX ( stock clocks ) GPU at 30°C idle and 38°C load (Few 3dmark runs)

with a lapped E6600 w/ 1.45vcore I get 55°C load on a normal day. If its a cold morning I can get around 51 or so lol. As for if the rad in the back helps, I couldnt say, I havnt tested without it. Though with feedback from the watercooling forum if I reverse my fan so instead of pulling the hot air from over the mosfet area, I pull the cool air outside the case, my temps should go down some more. With the fan on the rad as an exhaust the watercooling masters think its either not really doing anything or actually bringing down my temps. So once I get my yate loon's in ill switch it all around the proper way and see how it goes.

As for the 7900GT temps, when playing fear for 3 hours, my temps went from 33°C to 34°C. I have yet to run 05 or 06 though, so 34°C isnt my true load temp.....well rather a real world load temp....i dunno haha.

PROJECT LOG

Xtreme Member

More Pics!

Updated "command center"

from the front, door open

from the front, door closed

more pics

All Uv cathodes on (one 12" and two 6")

Only 6" UV's on

No UV cathodes

side off

PROJECT LOG

Xtreme Addict
    That vortex you have in the reservoir in that last pick of your previous bunch of pics looks cool.

Xtreme Member
    ya lol i agree, unfortunately it was a little too low, occasionally a bubble would get sucked in by my pump, so I topped the water off. Im very tempted to let it drain a wee bit to get it back though haha
    Last edited by TheReds; 04-16-2007 at 09:00 PM.

PROJECT LOG

Xtreme Addict
    That is some awesome work you've done! You gave me a few ideas that I hope you don't mind if I "borrow"?

I love all the pictures as well. Very well detailed case mods.
    As quoted by LowRun......"So, we are one week past AMD's worst case scenario for BD's availability but they don't feel like communicating about the delay, I suppose AMD must be removed from the reliable sources list for AMD's products launch dates"

Xtreme Recruit
    hahaha thats great It even had the family experience aswell!
    the ek res looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    Can I sue Tt for emotional distress or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar: Re Scientology
    The most worthless pile of crap ever thought up. people stupid enough to fall for it should be runover and then teabagged.

Xtreme Member
    Nice setup you've got there, very clean. I alway's seem to manage a clean build for other people but mine always ends up very messy :P.
    i7 920 D0
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    6GB OCZ Reaper PC3-1500
    XFX 4980 1GB
    Audigy X-FI music
    silencer 610w
    Water cooled with HAF 932 case

nice build you got there...

That is some nice cable and tubing management. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Good job, it's amazing
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @
    Cruz Alta (Cba.) Argentina

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice build TheReds. Looks + performance = win. I was looking at your whole setup picture and said to myself "wowa, i see grados" (yes I know shame on me for practically looking at the headphones before anything else) then looked in your sig and saw "Grado HF-1 #90". Very nice! You head-fi? Oh and zip-ties FTW

Xtreme Member
    Thanks guys!

Ya anyone use whatever you see for ideas, no prob.

and yes im a head-fi member, HF-1's FTW!!!! Iv kinda not been on the forums for a while though.......ever since I bought the parts for this system.....I go through hobby phases

PROJECT LOG

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheReds View Post
    and yes im a head-fi member, HF-1's FTW!!!! Iv kinda not been on the forums for a while though.......ever since I bought the parts for this system.....I go through hobby phases
    I figured as much Not a lot of people outside of head-fi would get something like the HF-1s I still go to head-fi but mostly to lurk since my home setup (X-Fi > AT A500s) isn't all that impressive (I don't want to amp) and I really only go there now for my portable setup needs (Cowon D2 > UE metro.fi 2 for now).

Oh and btw I linked a head-fi friend of mine to a picture of your rig (after telling him about the HF-1s) and he was very adament that you are nuts for putting your case so high above the ground (and above your monitor) since you live in SoCal (same as me) and thus are at risk of earthquakes knocking it over. Do you have any sort of supports on it?

Xtreme Member
    Looks awesome, extremely neat.

Xtreme Member
    thanks guys!

ya suprisingly the thing is very solid up there. The level I have the two shelfs at is maybe 2 cm off, and the only part that conflicts with this is the hard plastic front piece where the buttons are. So you pretty much I have to kinda wedge it in there and once its in its not going anywhere lol. To be honest earthquakes didnt even really cross my mind, cant remember the last one i felt......a big one is due though *(as i get out some straps)*

PROJECT LOG