Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: 26 120mm Fans Tested and Compared

Xtreme Member
    I'm also wondering about the Vantec Stealth fans... I recently bought the 60mm for my NB cooler and I (surprisingly) can't hear it at all at 12v (erm, at least it's now quieter than the tri-cools on low and/or my vga and psu fans).

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanki View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... but I thought I read (on SPCR?) that the Enlobal bearing was subject to the same sort of issues as sleeve bearings when not running vertical.
    I don't see how, the enlobal bearing makes the fan hub magnetically levitated so I don't see any way that there could be problems with parts of the hub coming in contact with other parts making scratchy noises. My YLs do that, its annoying as hell, and one of them is actually STUCK in the position where the place where the blades are attached to the bearing are coming in contact with the motor, making TONS of scratchy noises.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Member
    I'll go see if I can find that again.. maybe it was only when they tilted it over like 45deg or something.

Edit #1: Hmmm... maybe I'm mis-remembering that. Anyway, I'm not sure I like the sound of this thing at 12v (measured 25cfm).

Edit #2: Aha.. I was thinking of the Global Win (Nanometer Ceramic Bearing) fan.
    Last edited by Spanki; 06-03-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Admin
    Been playing with many different fans with this issue as I wait for my DMM to come in....and positional noise differences seem random.

What I've observed is that there's no trend with sleeve bearings getting significantly worse when the airflow points straight up/straight down. Maybe this is a long-term issue? I have a couple fans that make a bit more extraneous noises when blowing sideways...and a couple that make a bit more noise point up/down. No real statistical trend on any of these fans that I'm noticing. None of these fans have been run long-term, however.

All my official testing is with fans point downward. All subjective noise comments are as well.....so take those for what they're worth....if a fan is extraneous-noise-free when I test it pointing downward, it really is (I guess...lol, I really honestly don't have any sort of trend here to be sure...heck, the Yate Loon sleeve bearings make no extraneous noise in any direction). Even when I hear a low click, the frequency of occurence is much too low to be a rubbing issue (I think)...and the low clicks I hear are practically inaudible....the dBA meter doesn't notice them, they're just a different noise.

Xtreme Member
    I guess I'm not familiar enough with the geometry of how various bearings are constructed, but I'm guessing that the issue might come about due to any internal lubricant settling to one end of the shaft (?). This might affect a longer 'sleeve' type bearing, more than a relatively small/spherical ball bearing.

Anyway, thanks for the additional testing info - I didn't realize that you'd been testing horizontally.

Admin
    From a physical viewpoint...that makes sense Spanki....hmmm, I'll have to think about it and do some research, but yeah, makes sense.

Oh, and I just organized my fans (room was becoming a mess with all the new fans coming in)

Each fan is a unique fan, and I'm missing three (or four, can't tell what one of them is) from my own collection (being used), plus I've left all of Baenwort's fans in their own box to not mix them up (about 15 fans).

Egyptian OverClocker
    is the Sunon u got from Petra is Sunon KDE1212PMB3-6A
    i have one of them coming to me and i am planning to use on my BigTyphoon with a controller

i will be waiting for the results of this fan
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Member
    I am very interested in the Nexus test. I ordered 8 of them a week ago for my watercooling rig and wanted to "keep it quiet, keep it cool".
    Custom black murderbox
    QX6700 Quad Core
    eVGA Nforce 680I SLI A1
    2x eVGA e-Geforce 8800 GTX SC
    2GB Corsair 9136C5DF 1142 Mhz
    PP&C 750 Watt Sli PSU
    2x Raptor 150GB + 75GB
    Ek Waterblocks (Gfx, CPU, Chipset, Resevoir)
    MCP655 Pump / Variable Speed
    Thermalchill PA120.3 & PA120.2
    Custom Silverstone TJ-07 case

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SaFrOuT View Post
    is the Sunon u got from Petra is Sunon KDE1212PMB3-6A
    i have one of them coming to me and i am planning to use on my BigTyphoon with a controller

i will be waiting for the results of this fan
    Yeah, that's the one.

EDIT: also got the 3100RPM 120x120x25 version

Xtreme Enthusiast
    aaww no silverstone fans to insult on fake specs, its a shame. looking forward to Minebea NMB fan reviews. I have that horizontal fan issue with my sleeve bearing silverstone casing fans. the yate loons are fine with it.

Banned
    Just wondering, where can I pick up the ebmpapst fans? I can't find them at any of the usual places (PPCs, jab-tech, FCPU).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    since they are not normally used for computer fans you have to get them from industrial stores bro.

http://www.galco.com/scripts/cgiip.e...m=4412FGML-EBM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar3s View Post
    since they are not normally used for computer fans you have to get them from industrial stores bro.

http://www.galco.com/scripts/cgiip.e...m=4412FGML-EBM
    Wow that's a crazy freakin price for a fan... but you get what you pay for I guess. I'll enitially get the YL's for my new build, but will later switch to either these or golfballs... wish Petras carried those..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i would go for the golfballs. they come with rubber fan mounts, 3 pin to 4 pin convertor, 1 cable tie(geezz), 4 fan screws.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Been playing with many different fans with this issue as I wait for my DMM to come in....and positional noise differences seem random.

What I've observed is that there's no trend with sleeve bearings getting significantly worse when the airflow points straight up/straight down. Maybe this is a long-term issue? I have a couple fans that make a bit more extraneous noises when blowing sideways...and a couple that make a bit more noise point up/down. No real statistical trend on any of these fans that I'm noticing. None of these fans have been run long-term, however.

All my official testing is with fans point downward. All subjective noise comments are as well.....so take those for what they're worth....if a fan is extraneous-noise-free when I test it pointing downward, it really is (I guess...lol, I really honestly don't have any sort of trend here to be sure...heck, the Yate Loon sleeve bearings make no extraneous noise in any direction). Even when I hear a low click, the frequency of occurence is much too low to be a rubbing issue (I think)...and the low clicks I hear are practically inaudible....the dBA meter doesn't notice them, they're just a different noise.

Vapor -

What is the best high CFM 120 mm x25 mm fan that you've tested so far? >80 CFM.

i7-2600k @ 4.8Ghz 1.38v L044A892
    ASUS P8P67 LGA
    16GB G.Skill Rip Jaws DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
    1/2" ID Masterkleer, Swiftech MCP-655, Thermochill PA120.3 Rad, XSPC Rasa, MCW-60
    Cooler Master UCP 1100 Watt PSU
    GTX 680 1300/7000
    Lian Li PC V-2000

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Baleful View Post
    Wow that's a crazy freakin price for a fan... but you get what you pay for I guess. I'll enitially get the YL's for my new build, but will later switch to either these or golfballs... wish Petras carried those..
    Your can find papst fans at ppcs.com
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Your can find papst fans at ppcs.com
    I can't seem to find them at ppc's..... they listed under a different manufacturer?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i search ppc too i don't find them but you can email hank at ppc about them their supplier is alphacool in germany which has loads of them same place they get the sharkoons.

http://www.svc.com/r121225bl.html < silverstone FN121 case fans OEM !

In yet other pieces of news....the YL SM at 12/7V does 55.3/35.8CFM and the SH does 76.6/49.3CFM. My ear and unofficial numbers say they're nice and quiet
    i hope this is true cause i'm changing the order at PTS to SH instead.
    Last edited by Ar3s; 06-05-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Banned
    a good read, thanks for this vapor.

and also cant seem to find papst at ppc.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by septim View Post
    a good read, thanks for this vapor.

and also cant seem to find papst at ppc.
    PPCS carried them when Vapor first released his testing results. I can't seem to find them now. i guess he stopped stocking them. I remember he actually carried two different papsts as well.

I ended up going with the Sharkoon Golfball 2000's instead. However, I've since retired those for just regular ol YL LED fans instead.

PS, looks like Hank has been reading this site. I originally purchased 5 Sharkoon Golfballs for $15 fully sleeved. Seems prices have gone up since.
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    PPCS carried them when Vapor first released his testing results. I can't seem to find them now. i guess he stopped stocking them. I remember he actually carried two different papsts as well.

I ended up going with the Sharkoon Golfball 2000's instead. However, I've since retired those for just regular ol YL LED fans instead.

PS, looks like Hank has been reading this site. I originally purchased 5 Sharkoon Golfballs for $15 fully sleeved. Seems prices have gone up since.
    Or he saw demand skyrocket....still hasn't gotten the 2000 back in stock yet :-/

Xtreme Member
    Sorry for hijacking, but could someone let me know which would be better for mounting to my Ultra 120 E:

Vantec Thermaflow or Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000?
    E6400 L628 @3.4 1.4V
    Ultra 120 Extreme
    2GB team Xtreem @ DDR2-850 4 4 3 10
    Abit Quad GT
    X1800XT flashed to XTPE 700/1600
    OCZ GameXstream 600W

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin_Gunner View Post
    Sorry for hijacking, but could someone let me know which would be better for mounting to my Ultra 120 E:

Vantec Thermaflow or Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000?
    Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They should make this a sticky.
    DistroWatch - find your flavor of Linux
    Petra's Tech Shop - for all your watercooling needs

Banned
    it was, now its not, cause vapor reasoned that stickied post does not get read as often as non stickied posts...

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast