Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to pick a case for my PC help plz

Xtreme Member

Need to pick a case for my PC help plz

Well first of all i should let you guys know i dont no jack scuat about cases so use small words that i can understand, second i should let you know what parts i am going to be puting in computer. Note all parts are likely to change to sumthing better, i will prob get something better than the ones i have now.

Heres the case someone refered to me http://www.nzxt.com/products/lexa/ i kinda like it but will i have problems with it my price range try not to go higher than $160 american.

here are the parts:
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 - $310

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - $135
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x512MB DDR2 667 - $135
    GFX: eVGA 8800GTS - $400
    PSU: Sunbeam NUUO 550w SLI - $75
    HDD: Western Digital 320GB SATA II - $90 AR
    Optix: NEC 7170A - $31
    Last edited by Dr.FuzzyBallz; 02-15-2007 at 07:55 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Everyone will have many different preferences for cases, but something along the lines of this case or this exact one will be great. I love the Aurora.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811233002

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you already order that, or are you stuck with only 1gb or ram? You should really have 2. Also, do you want a smaller case or a full size case? Are you going to be working in the case alot, like water cooling or modding?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunner611
    Did you already order that, or are you stuck with only 1gb or ram? You should really have 2. Also, do you want a smaller case or a full size case? Are you going to be working in the case alot, like water cooling or modding?
    size dosent really matter as long as it looks sick and is easy to open and put together, and no i am getting 2gigs of ram i didnt order any parts i am going to buy them all at once

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quest_7F
    Everyone will have many different preferences for cases, but something along the lines of this case or this exact one will be great. I love the Aurora.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811233002
    i like this case - looks nice.

Xtreme Member
    While I am not going to click on each link, personally I have a Raidmax case and an Antec 900 that I just bought. Both are great. Personally the Raidmax is a bit more of a solid case with the duel side door design where the side with the MB will fold down for easy access.

The Antec is great for the air flow. So make some choices and decisions
    Crunchers up and running

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just try to find one that looks like it has a good layout, and a removable mobo tray is always nice. I have the p180, and although it seems cramped for my style, i would like it better i think if I had a modular psu.

Xtreme Member
    The first 4 cases are great ones. Ad I am not a fan of the rest Apevia has good cases. Both the Apevia cases I have bought for friends builds and they look god and hold up well. The last case though the LED corners are very bright and I had to take them out cuz my friend couldnt fall asleep at night.

Xtreme Guru
    coolermaster stacker. end of discusshion.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Addict

Exclamation

READ THIS

Instead of reading anything anyone has said, I'm just going to ask you some questions and provide you with all the options you could possibley need, to help you find the case thats right for YOU. Never ask anyone what the best case is. Because they're all going to say something different, and then you have the fan boys.

Note: Thermaltake is the one case manufacturer I've been the least impressed with. Many claim differently but everything I and people I've known personally have bought from them, either doesn't perform nearly as well as it boasts, is poorly designed, or parts of it break because they are cheaply made.

Style:

So, what kind of style to you like?

The techy look, with a flat seamless body?
    Lian Li PC-V2100

The sexy look with curves and an elegant design?
    Silverstone SST-TJ105B-X

Perhapse a mix of the two? A techy look with an exotic curvy design?
    Cooler Master Praetorian

Acrylic?
    Sunbeam AC-9B-HUVB

Also try these:
    Cooler Master Centurion

Material:
    1. Do you want something durable, strong and heavy with a better life span (steel), or light and less durable, lighter and a bit better at pulling heat away from components but with a shorter life span (Aluminum). Will you perhaps modify your case later? Do you want it to outlast your current system, so you can use it again for your next system?

I myself choose steel, because I don't like how all my old aluminum cased bent, warped, or broke. I especially hated how screw holes always lost there threads, meaning I would have to buy or dig around for a larger screw. I like steel, even though its heavy to move around. I also like the fact that its easier to work with if I choose to modify my case. Others like aluminum because they feel more comfortable with a metal that pulls heat a little better away from their expensive components. Ask your self what's important to you! Don't ask someone else!

3. NEVER buy a case built with a lot of plastic. They will eventually break, they scuff easier, and the plastic doesn't look as nice a year later compared to metal. Manufacturers mostly use plastic to cheaply massproduce cases with front panal with a lot of gawdy looking shapes and vents in them, that usually appeal to little kids and people with absolutely no taste. LOL Sorry, I had to say it. I've been wanting to say that for about 5 years.

Space:

1. Drive space is something very important! This includes the 5.25" bays, 3.5" bays, and internal hard drive bays. You need to consider what kinds of components you are going to put in those areas and how many, AND if you may add more later on. It pays to think ahead. This includes DVD/CD Players, DVD/CD R/RW drives, hard drives, fan controllers, floppy disk drives, zip disk drives, hot swappable drives, water reserve tanks, secondary PSU for a TEC, power read outs (like the kind that come with the Cooler Master Real Power PSU), media bays and card readers, audio card front panels, multifunction panels, fans, hard drive coolers, etc. There are tons of things that go in those front bays, even drawers, speakers, tissue dispensers, trash bins, and cigarette lighters!

2. You also need to consider how much space the internal components are going to need, while considering air flow, wire management, and other things. What kind of cooling solution will your system use, or possibly upgrade to later on and how much space will they require? If a CPU cooler is too big for a case, it will run into the panel or panel window. Water cooling can take up a pretty fair amount of space, so if you ARE using water cooling, make sure you have a case than How long is your video card going to be and will it run into anything?

3. IF your motherboard is an extend ATX, then you need a case that is also extended ATX.

Cooling

1. Where do you need fans? If you're cooling only with air, its good to have 120mm fans as they push more air than smaller sizes while making less noise. If you plan on having a powerful video card, then it would be a good idea to have a fan over the video card in the case panel. Having an intake fan in the front, an exhaust fan in the back is also important! Its always nice to have one over the CPU as well.

Functionality & Features:

1. What kind of features do you want your case to come with?

A. How many USB connections do you need it to support in the front? Do you need audio ports in the front?

B. Many cases have drive and PCI mounting brackets that allow you to easily install components without screws. HOWEVER, many cases that have this feature are not designed well, so they are clumbsy or difficult to use, making components harder to install, or even making it impossible to install components that were designed to work with standard scew holes Check reviews before considering a case with this feature.

I myself would rather have one that only has an easy mounting system on the drives and NOT for the PCI slots. I've tried three different cases that used PCI mounting brackets and hated all three. Luckily my current case has both options for PCI mounting.

C. You're going to pay more if the case comes with a PSU, and the PSUs that come with cases suck about 70% of the time. Trust me, its better to buy a PSU that will deliver the power that you need on each rail, has Active PFC, is well built so its dependable and will last, and has a high efficiency rating. I know people who have a PSU that has gone through at least 4 systems and still works like new (as long as open it up and clean the dust out before each new build. ).

D. There are other features some cases have that make wiring easier to manage and parts easier to stow away.

E. Front panel doors are a nice option if you want the front of your case to be seamless so all the drives are hidden. However, if you buy a case that has a plastic skin around it or the front panel is all plastic, then the door will always break. If you have an all metal case, then the door will most likely not break off, but the clicker that holds it shut will eventually break if its plastic. Its better to buy a case with a metal front panel that stays closed using a magnet, as these last the longest!

2. Are extra features, upgrades, accessories and parts you can buy for you're case important to you? (Bay fitting devices, hard drive cages, cooling upgrades, etc) If so, then search using Froogle.com to find out how easy it is to buy extra parts, accessories, and upgrades for any particular case company. Make sure you know whether or not the parts you find will fit the case you like though.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 02-15-2007 at 12:53 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfall
    coolermaster stacker. end of discusshion.
    wow thats a nice case still looking for more before a descison.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella
    READ THIS

Instead of reading anything anyone has said, I'm just going to ask you some questions and provide you with all the options you could possibley need, to help you find the case thats right for YOU. Never ask anyone what the best case is. Because they're all going to say something different, and then you have the fan boys.

Note: Thermaltake is the one case manufacturer I've been the least impressed with. Many claim differently but everything I and people I've known personally have bought from them, either doesn't perform nearly as well as it boasts, is poorly designed, or parts of it break because they are cheaply made.

Style:

So, what kind of style to you like?

The techy look, with a flat seamless body?
    Lian Li PC-V2100

The sexy look with curves and an elegant design?
    Silverstone SST-TJ105B-X

Perhapse a mix of the two? A techy look with an exotic curvy design?
    Cooler Master Praetorian

Acrylic?
    Sunbeam AC-9B-HUVB

Also try these:
    Cooler Master Centurion

Material:
    1. Do you want something durable, strong and heavy with a better life span (steel), or light and less durable, lighter and a bit better at pulling heat away from components but with a shorter life span (Aluminum). Will you perhaps modify your case later? Do you want it to outlast your current system, so you can use it again for your next system?

I myself choose steel, because I don't like how all my old aluminum cased bent, warped, or broke. I especially hated how screw holes always lost there threads, meaning I would have to buy or dig around for a larger screw. I like steel, even though its heavy to move around. I also like the fact that its easier to work with if I choose to modify my case. Others like aluminum because they feel more comfortable with a metal that pulls heat a little better away from their expensive components. Ask your self what's important to you! Don't ask someone else!

3. NEVER buy a case built with a lot of plastic. They will eventually break, they scuff easier, and the plastic doesn't look as nice a year later compared to metal. Manufacturers mostly use plastic to cheaply massproduce cases with front panal with a lot of gawdy looking shapes and vents in them, that usually appeal to little kids and people with absolutely no taste. LOL Sorry, I had to say it. I've been wanting to say that for about 5 years.

Space:

1. Drive space is something very important! This includes the 5.25" bays, 3.5" bays, and internal hard drive bays. You need to consider what kinds of components you are going to put in those areas and how many, AND if you may add more later on. It pays to think ahead. This includes DVD/CD Players, DVD/CD R/RW drives, hard drives, fan controllers, floppy disk drives, zip disk drives, hot swappable drives, water reserve tanks, secondary PSU for a TEC, power read outs (like the kind that come with the Cooler Master Real Power PSU), media bays and card readers, audio card front panels, multifunction panels, fans, hard drive coolers, etc. There are tons of things that go in those front bays, even drawers, speakers, tissue dispensers, trash bins, and cigarette lighters!

2. You also need to consider how much space the internal components are going to need, while considering air flow, wire management, and other things. What kind of cooling solution will your system use, or possibly upgrade to later on and how much space will they require? If a CPU cooler is too big for a case, it will run into the panel or panel window. Water cooling can take up a pretty fair amount of space, so if you ARE using water cooling, make sure you have a case than How long is your video card going to be and will it run into anything?

3. IF your motherboard is an extend ATX, then you need a case that is also extended ATX.

Cooling

1. Where do you need fans? If you're cooling only with air, its good to have 120mm fans as they push more air than smaller sizes while making less noise. If you plan on having a powerful video card, then it would be a good idea to have a fan over the video card in the case panel. Having an intake fan in the front, an exhaust fan in the back is also important! Its always nice to have one over the CPU as well.

Functionality & Features:

1. What kind of features do you want your case to come with?

A. How many USB connections do you need it to support in the front? Do you need audio ports in the front?

B. Many cases have drive and PCI mounting brackets that allow you to easily install components without screws. HOWEVER, many cases that have this feature are not designed well, so they are clumbsy or difficult to use, making components harder to install, or even making it impossible to install components that were designed to work with standard scew holes Check reviews before considering a case with this feature.

I myself would rather have one that only has an easy mounting system on the drives and NOT for the PCI slots. I've tried three different cases that used PCI mounting brackets and hated all three. Luckily my current case has both options for PCI mounting.

C. You're going to pay more if the case comes with a PSU, and the PSUs that come with cases suck about 70% of the time. Trust me, its better to buy a PSU that will deliver the power that you need on each rail, has Active PFC, is well built so its dependable and will last, and has a high efficiency rating. I know people who have a PSU that has gone through at least 4 systems and still works like new (as long as open it up and clean the dust out before each new build. ).

D. There are other features some cases have that make wiring easier to manage and parts easier to stow away.

E. Front panel doors are a nice option if you want the front of your case to be seamless so all the drives are hidden. However, if you buy a case that has a plastic skin around it or the front panel is all plastic, then the door will always break. If you have an all metal case, then the door will most likely not break off, but the clicker that holds it shut will eventually break if its plastic. Its better to buy a case with a metal front panel that stays closed using a magnet, as these last the longest!

2. Are extra features, upgrades, accessories and parts you can buy for you're case important to you? (Bay fitting devices, hard drive cages, cooling upgrades, etc) If so, then search using Froogle.com to find out how easy it is to buy extra parts, accessories, and upgrades for any particular case company. Make sure you know whether or not the parts you find will fit the case you like though.

WOW first thank you so much.

From those cases i liked the last one the see throught th ebest than the 3rd one the other 2 were alright, and yes i guess i want a steel case something easy to use and strong, i think i want around 4 - 6 usb ports, also i am at max going ot have 2 cd drives maybe 3, not going to have floppy drive, and space i am not sure.

I am not going ot be customizing my case and if i am at max i am going ot do is out fan grill, and lights PSU i dont know about that how much more is the case going to cost?

Again thankyou so much for taking your time to help me

Xtreme Addict
    I just found a GREAT sale on the Coolermaster Mystique! $29.99! Its usually around $100 or more!
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 02-15-2007 at 01:02 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    I just found a GREAT sale on the Coolermaster Mystique! $29.99! Its usually around $100 or more!

Acrylic Sunbeam AC-9B-HUVB how much is this one? and is it what i am looking for? from judging my answers cause this case looks sick.

Xtreme Addict
    If you're into that, Acrylic cases can be a lot of fun. You can even set up little laser light shows in them with premade parts that do that for you. The light shines through the entire case, which means that the color of the case is controlled by the color of the lights. Sunbeamtech makes a 5.25" bay that allows you to change the color of your lights to any color you want.

Keep in mind though, they are very distracting which is probably why a lot of people don't use them. You obviously want to display them in plain vew right? Well, imagine trying to write a school report or play a game with something that size glowing like a giant neon sign right next to you.

It'll be an annoying distraction about 95% of the time (when you just need it to function as a computer and nothing else) unless you can find a spot to place it that puts it mostly out of view from your computer chair, without hiding it from other views of the room so you can show it off. And you can always dim the LED and laser lights down.

Its your decision, just a friendly warning. By all means, if you really like it, GO FOR IT or you'll regret it.

If you want to look at some really nice pics and get started on finding an acrylic case, and accessories I'll start you off with some links.

Major companies who make acrylic and light effects for acrylic cases
    Sunbeamtech
    Logisys

Cases
    Sunbeam
    Logisys
    Froogle Search Results
    Newegg
    Performance PCs

Lighting & Effects
    Lazer Light Kits
    Acrylic Case Lighted Feet
    LED Case Badges
    UV Reactive Cooling Additive
    SVC
    Newegg

Controllers
    Sunbeamtech Lightbus
    Only Place I know of who sells the Sunbeamtech Lightbus

Edit:

Oh yeah, I meant to say. Just ask your self the types of questions I posted earlier, and apply them to the case. Then when you find a case that suits your needs, go to the area of the forum that will help you with any Acrylic Case Questions. It doesn't matter if the case is made of metal, acrylic, or cheese. All those questions up there apply to all cases.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 02-15-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    AND Acrylic is easy to remove scratches from and repair. If you want an acrylic case, make sure you keep this guide handy!

You can look for Novus here or find a different plastic polish, but from what I hear Novus is the best.

Xtreme Member
    If you're into that, Acrylic cases can be a lot of fun. You can even set up little laser light shows in them with premade parts that do that for you. The light shines through the entire case, which means that the color of the case is controlled by the color of the lights. Sunbeamtech makes a 5.25" bay that allows you to change the color of your lights to any color you want.

Keep in mind though, they are very distracting which is probably why a lot of people don't use them. You obviously want to display them in plain vew right? Well, imagine trying to write a school report or play a game with something that size glowing like a giant neon sign right next to you.

It'll be an annoying distraction about 95% of the time (when you just need it to function as a computer and nothing else) unless you can find a spot to place it that puts it mostly out of view from your computer chair, without hiding it from other views of the room so you can show it off. And you can always dim the LED and laser lights down.

Its your decision, just a friendly warning. By all means, if you really like it, GO FOR IT or you'll regret it.

If you want to look at some really nice pics and get started on finding an acrylic case, and accessories I'll start you off with some links.

Major companies who make acrylic and light effects for acrylic cases
    Sunbeamtech
    Logisys

Cases
    Sunbeam
    Logisys
    Froogle Search Results
    Newegg
    Performance PCs

Lighting & Effects
    Lazer Light Kits
    Acrylic Case Lighted Feet
    LED Case Badges
    UV Reactive Cooling Additive
    SVC
    Newegg

Controllers
    Sunbeamtech Lightbus
    Only Place I know of who sells the Sunbeamtech Lightbus

Edit:

Oh yeah, I meant to say. Just ask your self the types of questions I posted earlier, and apply them to the case. Then when you find a case that suits your needs, go to the area of the forum that will help you with any Acrylic Case Questions. It doesn't matter if the case is made of metal, acrylic, or cheese. All those questions up there apply to all cases.
    Distraction will not be a problem i got a special place for it, but are they durable like a steel case and have a long like a steel case?
    Last edited by Dr.FuzzyBallz; 02-19-2007 at 05:50 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My thermaltake was fine except that 1. half the motherboard standoff holes were tapped crappily so that the standoffs wouldn't go in without a wrench 2. the aluminum is getting bent up 3. the way the tray is done makes cable management impossible 4. the hard drive cage sucked so much that it completely blocked off a 120mm fan that was supposed to cool the hdds and it made the hdds sound like a jet taking off 5. the drive bay rail things don't fit perfectly into the whatever you call it so when my dvd drive is spinning it sounds even louder than a jet taking off 6. an aluminum bar sticking out in the middle of nowhere makes things especially difficult 7. its so tiny that working with it is a PITA 8. The "silver" paint they used looks crappy, I went over some parts with black sharpie to make it look better 9. the non-led fan that came with it had a scratchy noise and finally 10. the fan grills they cut blocked half the fan killing airflow.
    The only good thing about it is that it looks pretty nice, after I colored in the perforated parts with sharpie.
    I like acrylic cases, but if you have anything that isn't blingy, the whole scheme gets killed. Murdered. End of story.
    What I think is that investing a little money in a bigger case is good, because bigger cases are more adaptable to more different applications.
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.FuzzyBallz
    Distraction want be a problem i got a special place for it, but are they durable like a steel case and have a long like a steel case?
    No plastic is never durable, but they're cheaper than other cases and easier to repair.

And Im not sure I follow your second question? Long what? Long life?

If thats what you're asking, then its up to you and how well you take care of it. If you break it well... you're going to have to either fix or replace it just like any other case.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.FuzzyBallz
    wow thats a nice case still looking for more before a descison.
    You just noticed it's awesome?! You've seen mines a million times. But anyways, I say that you should try to stay away from acrylic because hiding wires is a real PITA and they will break easily. My personal advice would be to preferably stick with Lian Li, Silverstone, Coolermaster and Antec or something of the likes. I will have some more info for you tomorrow at school. And btw, the first few cases were good (from that huge list) but the rest of them are cheap crap imho. They are all flash, are pretty much all plastic, and the LED lights will probably die within 6 months. That Lexa case that you showed in the beginning is known to have horrible airflow so I would stay away from that. And change out a few of your other parts, but I'll reply regarding those in your other thread .

Usama aka Ferrari Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    A DFI board is like a divorce, expensive, but well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    I dunno... I think a DFI board is more like marriage... demanding, time consuming, and a PITA but rewarding in it's own twisted way.

Xtreme Addict
    True, acrylic breaks, if you're the clumbsy type. (me) LOL

But go with what ever case grabs you. Don't listen to anyone else. (Sorry farrari)

Also wire organization mods are easy easy for an acrylic case. All you need to do is mount a pipe to the back wall of the case and run the wires through it. If you want to make it nice, drill a few holes in it where you need the wires to come out or ask your dad or a friend to do it for you. You can use a metal pipe that you've polished, use a PVC pipe and paint it with UV paint, use a colored or clear plastic tube sprayed with a clear (which you can treat with a colored or clear UV reactive chemical). There's lots of ways to very easily mod a case.

For me, it was the Silverstone TJ05. It's built like a tank, has countless features that organize wires even wire conduits, tons of ways to expand and upgrade it, enough available parts to buy to keep me happy, its made of good heavy steel, and there are lots of ways to modify it. I'm going to mod the sh*t out of it for my next system.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 02-15-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Look around at what cases there are, and you may want to spend a bit more on a case. I put a cap on what I wanted to spend on my case and now I just want a better case even more. Oh and, a UV reactive pipe would look very bad in a case LOL. Black ABS pipe is more stealthy and would be like "background".
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Addict
    Unless you're using an acrylic case, and you'd want it to blend in... in that case a black tube wouldn't look so good in a clear case.

I wouldn't mind seeing the wires inside it, as long as I'm not seeing them all over the place outside of a tube in an acrylic case.

Xtreme Member
    Unless you're using an acrylic case, and you'd want it to blend in... in that case a black tube wouldn't look so good in a clear case.

I wouldn't mind seeing the wires inside it, as long as I'm not seeing them all over the place outside of a tube in an acrylic case.
    thanks man you are really helpful, and well since acrylic are easy to break and i am clumsy, also i have my uncel and his kids at my house every week or so i dont want to take the risk and break it even tho they look pretty kewl its not worth the risk an di move my computer arpund a lot so i guess i will stick with the case u said was on sale for $30 or ferraris advice and get a lian li, antech, silverstone etc.

thanks again guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast