Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recent water block (GT/Fuzion/Storm) test results...

Xtreme Member

Make sure to check out this mod

Make sure to check out this mod it does help make the mounting more steady and a little more consistent.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post1972879

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Quote Originally Posted by h20 frag-monger
    2. Apogee GT Bowed (nikhsub1, im a little worried to break my MB or CPU by moutintg this, anything i should no? i will be using the springs so im hoping that will help)
    I wouldnt worry about it... swiftech uses IIRC 45lbs of total mount pressure. Every singe stock Intel HSF warps the crap out of the board. Anyway, just don't use too much force to mount... mount it like you do all other blocks.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Kindly spell Shamino's name right. Its not Shimano, as in the bicycle components heh

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY
    Kindly spell Shamino's name right. Its not Shimano, as in the bicycle components heh
    Shimano hehe my bicycle has that stuff written all over it... BTW my stock hsf does evil stuff to the board. I had to push with all my strength to get the pins down:P
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Xtreme Addict
    to add my results of the Fuzion:

Storm Rev1 using CoreTemp

Idle 41-42C Load 54C max

Fuzion :

39-40C Idle 51C Load

I used Orthos Large FFT's to compare. This is also comparing a fresh application of AS5 on the freshly mounted Fuzion vs the Storm's performace on a fully cured AS5 application.
    7820X | Asrock X299 Taichi XE | Gigabyte 1080 Ti Xtreme | 32GB Memoriez | Corsair HXi1000 | 500GB 960 Evo

In response to someone earlier in this thread, the reason no one talks about the MP-05 anymore is that it's no longer in production. It's discontinued and has been completely replaced by the FuZion.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Methylphenidate
    In response to someone earlier in this thread, the reason no one talks about the MP-05 anymore is that it's no longer in production. It's discontinued and has been completely replaced by the FuZion.

They are not even made by the same company. Are you sure the Mp-05 is discontinued, I still see them on the cooltechnica site?

D-tek was the primary producer of the MP-05. I've spoken with Danny personally about MP-05 availability. He is sure no one is still producing them.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    MY mistake then, only ever saw the Mp-05 sold through Cooltechnica as their own.

Yeah, my understanding of it is that that's what made their partnership degrade so quickly. That's why availability of the block was always poor even though it was a great performer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IanY
    Done!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Budwise
    to add my results of the Fuzion:

Storm Rev1 using CoreTemp

Idle 41-42C Load 54C max

Fuzion :

39-40C Idle 51C Load

I used Orthos Large FFT's to compare. This is also comparing a fresh application of AS5 on the freshly mounted Fuzion vs the Storm's performace on a fully cured AS5 application.
    I've added your results to the summary. Thanks!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I did not test in the ways mentioned here, maybe I will if I get the time, but for me Fuzion bested the apogee and storm on my Kent, but the storm bested the apogees on conroes. I have not tried the fuzion on my conroes.

Xtreme Addict
    Update: Added coolingmasters excellent review of the Apogee GT here...

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

Too bad they didn't include the Fuzion in their testing.

Banned
    Please fill in my blanks:

Philly_Boy (Apogee GT vs Fuzion)
    CPU: E6300 OC to 3.7GHz @ 1.6 Vcore
    WC Gear: MCP-355, PA120.3
    Test SW: TAT
    DT Results (from CoreTemp): Fuzion 37c; Apogee GT 34c Delta T from ambient air
    Winner: Apogee GT (flat/bow?) beats Fuzion by 3
    Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=54

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_Boy
    Please fill in my blanks:

Philly_Boy (Apogee GT vs Fuzion)
    CPU: E6300 OC to 3.7GHz @ 1.6 Vcore
    WC Gear: MCP-355, PA120.3
    Test SW: TAT
    DT Results (from CoreTemp): Fuzion 37c; Apogee GT 34c Delta T from ambient air
    Winner: Apogee GT (flat/bow?) beats Fuzion by 3
    Link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=54
    NP, but while I'm at it... Did you use the flat or the bowed base on the GT?

One other thing, while we're at it... can you clarify if the results from the first CES test were using the flat GT base? The second test (the next day?) was using the bowed base? Is that correct? Thanks!
    Last edited by virtualrain; 02-19-2007 at 11:35 PM.

A couple of issues I would like to raise

Measuring relative performance of these blocks on the same rig, whatever its configuration, is entirely valid since you are comparing like with like - however the delta T figures being used ( core temp to ambient ) are meaningless as they are completely dependent on the performance of the whole cooling loop. The only valid comparison would be the delta T between core temp and water temp at a given flow rate but since each tester is using a different configuration that is not possible. The only useful conclusions that can be drawn are from the relative performance of each block in the tests to see what trends emerge which would seem to be that - on Kentsfield at least - Fuzion and Apogee GT (bowed) about same, better than Apogee and noticeably better than Storm and MP-05.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant but I hate reading conclusions based on meaningless results. Some of the results listed would require a cooling loop that could take a load of 150w+ and yet have the water remain at ambient!!

Regarding the full load figures I should remind people that Prime95, Orthos etc do not heat up a Kentsfield as much as CPU Burn in and way less than TAT. Difference for me between Orthos & TAT is around 5C!

My rig QX6700(lapped)@3.75(266 x14) @ 1.5v(1.45v actual), 680i cooled with modded DDC ultra, PA120.3, 3 x Noctua 1200rpm fans, Apogee GT (bowed), DD880GTX block, DD680i N/B & Swiftech MCW30 on S/B - in parallel. Can run any bench/test 24/7 in closed case. I also have Storm, Apogee, MP-05 and ApogeeGT outperforms them all. I am waiting on a Fuzion so I can continue testing but I am not expecting any great performance difference from ApogeeGT.

Incidentally regarding the load on motherboard - especially with bowed blocks - I too am more than a little concerned and feel that a backplate would be a good idea. Swiftech? D-Tek?
    Last edited by lawnmowerman; 02-21-2007 at 02:16 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain
    NP, but while I'm at it... Did you use the flat or the bowed base on the GT?

One other thing, while we're at it... can you clarify if the results from the first CES test were using the flat GT base? The second test (the next day?) was using the bowed base? Is that correct? Thanks!
    I used the Apogee GT with the bowed base for my anecdotal test. I corrected my part of Post #1.

Swiftech Challenge Night (Tuesday) was with with both flat and bowed bases on the Apogee GT. The results from the next night are now correctly stated in post#1. The Fuzion with it's own mounts and mounting methodology hit a 37.1 Delta T so we accepted that as the final figure for the Fuzion.
    Last edited by Philly_Boy; 02-21-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnmowerman
    A couple of issues I would like to raise

Measuring relative performance of these blocks on the same rig, whatever its configuration, is entirely valid since you are comparing like with like - however the delta T figures being used ( core temp to ambient ) are meaningless as they are completely dependent on the performance of the whole cooling loop.
    Since every test summarized in Post #1 just swaped CPU blocks and kept everything else the same, the delta T figures are not meaningless... as you say they are measuring the relative performance of these blocks on the same rig/loop.

Xtreme Addict
    I used the Apogee GT with the bowed base for my anecdotal test. I corrected my part of Post #1.

Swiftech Challenge Night (Tuesday) was with with both flat and bowed bases on the Apogee GT. The results from the next night are now correctly stated in post#1. The Fuzion with it's own mounts and mounting methodology hit a 37.1 Delta T so we accepted that as the final figure for the Fuzion.
    Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain
    Thanks!
    It is I who need to say thank you....for gathering and presenting the data in one post so the uninformed can see which block might be better for them.

I'll have a boat load of data in 10 days when I publish the G80 water block review.

I see C2D's in the list but no AMD's. Could somebody please do a comparison between the Apogee GT, Fuzion, and storm on a dual core AMD with and without the IHS? Thanks
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
    I see C2D's in the list but no AMD's. Could somebody please do a comparison between the Apogee GT, Fuzion, and storm on a dual core AMD with and without the IHS? Thanks
    Sorry my AMD rig is down at the moment....but maybe we can make that happen. I own all those blocks as well as a few others. I have a FX60/DFI LP Expert/Muskin Redlines based rig that we could dust off and do a comparo on an old skool s939 rig...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sorry my AMD rig is down at the moment....but maybe we can make that happen. I own all those blocks as well as a few others. I have a FX60/DFI LP Expert/Muskin Redlines based rig that we could dust off and do a comparo on an old skool s939 rig...
    I've got an MP-05 and a 6k2 if you want to borrow them to add them to the testing.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonOrta
    I've got an MP-05 and a 6k2 if you want to borrow them to add them to the testing.
    We'll tawk soon.....gotta clear out some backlogged reviews then this can happen.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast