Thread: Memory-chip Micron Technologies rose 3.9% today

Xtreme Member

Thumbs down Memory-chip Micron Technologies rose 3.9% today

And now you know why you pay such a high price for RAM

Memory-chip maker Micron Technology rose 3.9% after tripling its profit on 16% sales growth during the first quarter.

Source Wall Street Journal today 22 dec. 2006

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Your kidding right? *sigh*

Dude, Micron has the lowest margins in the entire DRAM industry. They would be even more screwed if they werent making decent coin on memory for enthusiast.

Plus, if Micron wasnt pumping out the great ram they have, we would all be using Elpedia and PROMOS.

Why not complain about the huge profit samsung is making, they dont even make ram atm that us Xtreme guys want.

Please dont post incorrect and fact-less information. This is almost as bad as FOX 10 o'clock news

There are lots of reasons why dram prices are high. eg: smaller dram co's upgrading to 90nm, vista a little, etc

Friendly reminder- nobody makes you buy Micron DRAM, there are plenty of good alternatives out there!
    Last edited by irev210; 12-22-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    RAM prices have been pretty ridiculous over the past few months. It makes sense though. DDR2 is in high demand since every new platform supports it, and I guess DDR just happens to follow that trend?
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Team TForce Xtreem ARGB 3600C14 2x16gb XMP
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: EVGA (rip) RTX 3080 FTW3
    PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 850w
    Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
    NVMe: SKHynix P41 Platinum, Samsung 980 Pro 2tb
    SSD: Micron 1100 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb
    HDD: WD SE 2TB, WD Black 1tb 3 platter with over 10 years of power-on time

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakfromyou
    RAM prices have been pretty ridiculous over the past few months. It makes sense though. DDR2 is in high demand since every new platform supports it, and I guess DDR just happens to follow that trend?

Its not a single factor. It is a bunch of factors that all come together.

Transition to DDR2, DRAM fab space being taken off line for upgrades, strong consumer demand, increase in average amount of memory installed per computer, price of parts going up, etc. etc. etc.

wafer prices going up as well

All just factors in a big puzzle

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by irev210
    Its not a single factor. It is a bunch of factors that all come together.

Transition to DDR2, DRAM fab space being taken off line for upgrades, strong consumer demand, increase in average amount of memory installed per computer, price of parts going up, etc. etc. etc.

wafer prices going up as well

All just factors in a big puzzle
    Not to mention all the costs that Micron is Racking up, in their strategy of Constant design improvements.
    What was it, every 8 weeks a new mask or something crazy high like that.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why not complain about the huge profit samsung is making, they dont even make ram atm that us Xtreme guys want.
    We can't complain because some one was already jailed for that

Where's me Beer?
    The reason prices are high is because most memory is assembled in China and the first week of October is public holiday. So all the factories close.
    Low supply, same amount or more demand. Prices increase.

Xtreme Member
    ^^ Err correct me if i am wrong,but isnt the current month December ? and the coming one January ?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by hixie
    The reason prices are high is because most memory is assembled in China and the first week of October is public holiday. So all the factories close.
    Low supply, same amount or more demand. Prices increase.

actually most of the memory used in the world is made by samsung and hynix, which are located in Korea.

The memory is made and assembled there.

A lot of memory is assembled in Malaysia and Taiwan, even in the USA they assemble a LOT of memory.

Anyway, China is not the reason why there has been DRAM shortage for the past 6 months. Interesting to hear your perspective though!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    actually most of the memory used in the world is made by samsung and hynix, which are located in Korea.

The memory is made and assembled there.

A lot of memory is assembled in Malaysia and Taiwan, even in the USA they assemble a LOT of memory.

Anyway, China is not the reason why there has been DRAM shortage for the past 6 months. Interesting to hear your perspective though!
    dont forget Germany also afik supertalent, kingston hyperx and many more are mande in the USA

Xtreme Member
    none of those guys are memory makers....they just re-brand it and put it on modules. One thing to remember about Micron is that they are reducing their focus in DRAM and putting it in NAND Flash and CMOS Imagers, as these products have better margins (hence Micron's larger profit). While a lot of DRAMurai have been nailed for price fixing, Micron has not, so dont blame their profit on corporate greed, blame it on capitalism.

Also, "tripling their profit" meant something like increase of 15% on Net Sales, and a 6% increase in gross margin. So unless you know what you talking about, shut yo mouf.

Xtreme Mentor
    unless ur an investor, stock performance is irrelevant to us. a trippling of profits on only a 16% gain in sales growth is almost impossible unless they did some major cost cutting. There's always a certain amount of demand at a given price point on a supply/demand curve. They can jack up the price all they want, but if the demand isn't there its just a number! Now if ur an investor, ring the register and your money just got a +47% overclock.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

I am Xtreme
    well demand for micron is high, so micron dram prices are pretty darn high, but as for dram in general, i think it's still pretty cheap, i mean, not cheap like pre conroe/am2 cheap, but still reasonable.

i mean you can still get 2g of DDR2 for under $200... doesnt seem like it's that high at all.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by situman
    a trippling of profits on only a 16% gain in sales growth is almost impossible unless they did some major cost cutting.
    If you had a profit of $1 in Q1 and a profit of $3 in Q2, would that be so hard? $190 million in profit on a billion and half in sales is not that much.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    well demand for micron is high, so micron dram prices are pretty darn high, but as for dram in general, i think it's still pretty cheap, i mean, not cheap like pre conroe/am2 cheap, but still reasonable.

i mean you can still get 2g of DDR2 for under $200... doesnt seem like it's that high at all.

Its funny how we can find micron chips on value ram and the same chips can sell for twice as much.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by ether.real
    If you had a profit of $1 in Q1 and a profit of $3 in Q2, would that be so hard? $190 million in profit on a billion and half in sales is not that much.
    no it wouldn't be hard, but what would be the reason? Major cost cutting, major surge in demand at elevated prices? In other words, a 16% sales growth should lead to about a 16% gain in profits at the same profit margins. Now if you tell me their margins trippled, then that would be cause of celebration and load up on the stock once it pulls back a little.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Member
    Never underestimate the value of good binning.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by situman
    no it wouldn't be hard, but what would be the reason? Major cost cutting, major surge in demand at elevated prices? In other words, a 16% sales growth should lead to about a 16% gain in profits at the same profit margins. Now if you tell me their margins trippled, then that would be cause of celebration and load up on the stock once it pulls back a little.

Actually thats not true. Esp for semiconductors, much of the spending is a fixed value, ie R&D, QA, CapEx. Once you exceed a certain sales figure, profit margin cant help but go up.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    none of those guys are memory makers....they just re-brand it and put it on modules. One thing to remember about Micron is that they are reducing their focus in DRAM and putting it in NAND Flash and CMOS Imagers, as these products have better margins (hence Micron's larger profit). While a lot of DRAMurai have been nailed for price fixing, Micron has not, so dont blame their profit on corporate greed, blame it on capitalism.

Also, "tripling their profit" meant something like increase of 15% on Net Sales, and a 6% increase in gross margin. So unless you know what you talking about, shut yo mouf.

IIRC, micron settled out of court, basicly narc'd out samsung etc etc to help save their butt.

They still got pretty screwed out of the Deal, I think they got taken back to court again anyway.
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.6GHz w/ 1.29vcore (517*7)
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6
    Memory:
    Crucial 8500's
    Video:
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    PSU:
    Zippy 700W (fan modded of course)

Xtreme Member
    There was one manager at Micron found price fixing. Once he was found out, he was quickly done away with and Micron proceded to cooperate with the DoJ.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    There was one manager at Micron found price fixing. Once he was found out, he was quickly done away with and Micron proceded to cooperate with the DoJ.
    Oho, that's rich! One lowly manager, acting alone, commits a multi-billion-dollar corporation to an international price-fixing scheme. If you believe that, I've got a bridge here in New York you might be interested in.

Back to the OP, though -- since when did increased profit in and of itself prove nefarious behavior? There could be plenty of legitimate reasons for that. Just off the top of my head, it's perfectly plausible that Micron's DDR2 manufacturing efficiencies are just now kicking in, allowing a higher margin until other manufacturers catch up.

165 @ 2.9 @ 1.45V | 2x1GB G.Skill HZ | NF4 Ultra-D
    MSI X1900XTX | G500 21" Trinitron
    X-Fi Fatality | Z-2300s | Little Dot MkIII | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
    TDX | Maze4 GPU | DDC Topmodded | BIP3
    Stacker STC-T01

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aMp
    Oho, that's rich! One lowly manager, acting alone, commits a multi-billion-dollar corporation to an international price-fixing scheme. If you believe that, I've got a bridge here in New York you might be interested in.

Far from a "multi-billion dollar international price fixing scheme". The manager only had control of a small sales territory in the NE USA iirc. AFAIK, there is nothing to show Micron had anything to do with the price fixing schemes the koreans commonly involve themselves in.

Heres the new info about IC price it will grow so the memory price will grow too.

http://www.purchasing.com/article/CA....html?ref=nbcs