Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: XSOS V3.0 Teaser Shot

Egyptian OverClocker
    there is no beta link

wait till nn_step release the V3
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Member
    Hi I got really excited when I read this article about DirectX10 over at Bit-Tech.net:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200..._gaming/1.html

Have you been able to test your dx10 implementation? Did you notice any of these advantages mentioned in the article, and maby a huge performance boost? Hehe
    Mb: Abit IX38QuadGT Cpu: Core2Duo E6850 Gfx: HD4870X2 Ram: CrucialBallistix 2x1GB Case: Gigabyte3DAurora Psu: Corsair620W

Xtreme Addict
    nnstep,

Fantastic work. I look forward to using it, and will definately donate to your cause if I find myself using it. Your time is DEFINATLY worth something!

I figued Vista would be chocked full of big brother programs and was hoping to jesus that there would be a gaming alternative.

You da man...

and just to throw another opinion into the mess... I'd like to see something snazzy for the GUI. I'd like people to sit down at my pc and be like... What OS is this?

Ryan
    Last edited by FghtinIrshNvrDi; 01-07-2007 at 06:30 PM.
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3200 w/ Tuniq Tower
    2x2gb A-Data DDR2 800
    AMD/ATi HD 4870

Xtreme Mentor
    Personally I like the vista GUI, a lot. But I agree for the most part, I like a GUI that makes people go, "wow thats awesome, what is that?" if not for the comments but just for personal appreciation. Only thing thats a guideline is the GUI should take very little recourses. I know some fancy GUI's out there but they are huge, complex and recourse hogs, big no thanks on those.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

YouTube Addict
    alright, I guess I can make an Icon pack and have you guys tweak it to your personal tastes.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Cruncher
    NN, you are the man. Been looking for a good Crysis os and this should fit the bill nicely...

Ply

Xtreme Mentor
    I second that, NN you're the best
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Addict
    nnstep,

XS OS V2 was less than 60mb. What's this one looking like?

Not that I care, I guess it's just a curiosity thing. I'm just looking for a Vista alternative to DX10.

Ryan
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3200 w/ Tuniq Tower
    2x2gb A-Data DDR2 800
    AMD/ATi HD 4870

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FghtinIrshNvrDi
    nnstep,

XS OS V2 was less than 60mb. What's this one looking like?

Not that I care, I guess it's just a curiosity thing. I'm just looking for a Vista alternative to DX10.

Ryan
    it ultimately depends on you the users. (the betas more specifically) the more features I add, the more space it takes up. But less than 700MB is a definite reality but we are making a DVD with multiple OS and applications.
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

sleepin is overrated
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    it ultimately depends on you the users. (the betas more specifically)

And those beta testers are a funny lot
    personally i be pushing for a small install i like to use the os not stare at it and drool over how pretty it is.

So glad the quick install is implemented (knew you could do little about v.2).

excited

p.s are we going to get all the feedback messages like last time (so funny)
    Last edited by -Acid-; 01-07-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by epion2985
    Personally I like the vista GUI, a lot. But I agree for the most part, I like a GUI that makes people go, "wow thats awesome, what is that?" if not for the comments but just for personal appreciation.
    I agree. An old, flat gray and blue GUI is boring IMO. And I guarantee more people would naturally be more interested in what this is all about if it simply looked "kick-ass". Many guys in particular are genealogically superficial that way. And, if it takes 0% additional resources, why not make it look vista-like?

I look forward to your v3 nn.

Xtreme Member
    Wow, I figured that we'd all be stuck with Vista. Won't MS get pissed about this and try to shut it down or something?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheFlow
    Wow, I figured that we'd all be stuck with Vista. Won't MS get pissed about this and try to shut it down or something?
    who do you think assisted us with DX10 integration?

Xtreme Addict
    nn... jeez. very nice!

this is awesome. it shows a lot when you go out of your way to configure an os towards a non-paying community.

ty! gl! etc!!

Xtreme Guru
    Wow, am i intrigued, i cant wait to see what this has to offer, just 3 quick questions though, cus chances are i will be using this on more then one computer...

1. If i go out to say best buy, and buy a program that runs on windows xp/vista and whatnot, will it have issues working with this OS? Or is this basically like a stripped down version of xp/vista to take away all the crap that goes along with it and slows down the computer.

2. Say we dont have a valid xp/vista cd key will there be limitations to using the OS without one, or maybe annoying popups that tell me to enter a valid cd key or somthing?

3. How will it install, will it be like windows xp where you put the cd in, startup boot from the cd, you get the option to format/partition etc etc...

All i really do on here is run AIM, Firefox/Thunderbird, ghost recon and other games, and tweak the computer thru my hundreds of little programs...i just wanna make sure that that functionality remains. The biggest thing that annoys me about microsoft operating systems is that you can only use one cd key per computer, which means i would have to buy 3-4 different cd keys for our house, which i DO NOT have the money for. Not to mention the fact that i cant justify paying 2-400 dollars for an OS that will be obsolete in a few years. But i like where your goin with this and i really really really cant wait to try it.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    Wow, am i intrigued, i cant wait to see what this has to offer, just 3 quick questions though, cus chances are i will be using this on more then one computer...

1. If i go out to say best buy, and buy a program that runs on windows xp/vista and whatnot, will it have issues working with this OS? Or is this basically like a stripped down version of xp/vista to take away all the crap that goes along with it and slows down the computer.

2. Say we dont have a valid xp/vista cd key will there be limitations to using the OS without one, or maybe annoying popups that tell me to enter a valid cd key or somthing?

3. How will it install, will it be like windows xp where you put the cd in, startup boot from the cd, you get the option to format/partition etc etc...

All i really do on here is run AIM, Firefox/Thunderbird, ghost recon and other games, and tweak the computer thru my hundreds of little programs...i just wanna make sure that that functionality remains. The biggest thing that annoys me about microsoft operating systems is that you can only use one cd key per computer, which means i would have to buy 3-4 different cd keys for our house, which i DO NOT have the money for. Not to mention the fact that i cant justify paying 2-400 dollars for an OS that will be obsolete in a few years. But i like where your goin with this and i really really really cant wait to try it.
    1) most Games work and many applications work
    2) don't need any serials or keys or anything other than the skill of how to download an ISO, check the MD5 and burn it to a CD/DVD
    3) to install, insert the burned cd and boot the system. Then like installing any other operating system, follow the prompts.

Xtreme Guru
    1) most Games work and many applications work
    2) don't need any serials or keys or anything other than the skill of how to download an ISO, check the MD5 and burn it to a CD/DVD
    3) to install, insert the burned cd and boot the system. Then like installing any other operating system, follow the prompts.
    Now you say most, what about the ones that wont work, what kinda programs are we lookin at that wont, are there any specifics? Programs designed for certain things or a certain way?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    Now you say most, what about the ones that wont work, what kinda programs are we lookin at that wont, are there any specifics? Programs designed for certain things or a certain way?
    thus far DOS games aren't supported (aka games made before the creation of windows 95) and since I don't have the money to buy every game on earth I can't test to make sure every game works. But if you have a game that you love and it doesn't work, tell me and I'll see what I can do.
    Right now for applications that don't work, are usually limited to extremely poorly made applications are the only ones that we know don't work.

Xtreme Member
    who do you think assisted us with DX10 integration?
    Are you saying that they actually are helping you with this or are you just kidding? If they are helping...what could possibly be their motivation for doing so?

Definitely looking forward to seeing what you get this OS to do!

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheFlow
    Are you saying that they actually are helping you with this or are you just kidding? If they are helping...what could possibly be their motivation for doing so?

Definitely looking forward to seeing what you get this OS to do!
    yes they actually assisted us with our developement, their reason for this I am not sure. But then again I still have no Idea why Xerox gave away the GUI to Apple and Microsoft

Xtreme Member
    yes they actually assisted us with our developement, their reason for this I am not sure. But then again I still have no Idea why Xerox gave away the GUI to Apple and Microsoft
    Well, for those who no longer believe in miracles...there ya go!

Xtreme Guru

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe
    Hi I got really excited when I read this article about DirectX10 over at Bit-Tech.net:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200..._gaming/1.html

Have you been able to test your dx10 implementation? Did you notice any of these advantages mentioned in the article, and maby a huge performance boost? Hehe
    Care to comment, nn_step?
    Mb: Abit IX38QuadGT Cpu: Core2Duo E6850 Gfx: HD4870X2 Ram: CrucialBallistix 2x1GB Case: Gigabyte3DAurora Psu: Corsair620W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What about Microsoft downloads? I often download the latest verisons of development tools and SDKs from Microsoft, but they prompt for validation? Will XSOS validate, skip, or just fail this?

And with that in mind, will I be able to use Visual Studio on this and make my own DX10 apps?
    P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP
    Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.8GHz
    GeForce 8800GTS

CLICK THIS:http://www.projectoffset.com/astormiscoming/ Each unique view moves the bar up. Last time it filled, a new picture was revealed.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizzler
    What about Microsoft downloads? I often download the latest verisons of development tools and SDKs from Microsoft, but they prompt for validation? Will XSOS validate, skip, or just fail this?

And with that in mind, will I be able to use Visual Studio on this and make my own DX10 apps?
    let me ask you a question, when you attempt to download such tools in any other *nix, what usually happens?

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast