Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: XSOS V3.0 Teaser Shot

Xtreme Member
    hmm, be neat to see the stripped down version, I've got a spare 1gb CF card and an IDE to CF adapter I'd like to put to use :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, VM will burn out flash drives.

But I like the option to boot from USB for crunching to save HDD and power usage expense. I've done it in limited fashion on both linux and Bart's PE, but problems remain.

I eagerly await a USB pen drive flash OS that can:

1) install and run Windows-based distro projects (and other apps), including D2OL which uses a java installer;
    2) recognize multi-core CPUs and allow me to set processor affinity on multi-core CPUs;
    3) Can do NIC/wifi and run related security apps;
    4) Doesn't have an enormous learning curve like linux or Bart's PE.

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Flash drives are not an option because of the virtual memory involved in the system.
    However a Flash OS is in development for our beloved crunchers, though it lacks DX10 but is far more light on system resources
    <----- REST IN PEACE, KIT. 1993-2007.

Xtreme Member
    im lookin forward 2 this, looks awesome... love your work nn_step
    ggz

Xtreme Mentor
    What is DRM exactly. I never fully understood it and its evils.

Cant wait for XSOS V3.0, it it windows based in terms of drivers and general software and hardware compatibility? I hope it wont be like linux, in terms of compatibility and support.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by epion2985
    What is DRM exactly. I never fully understood it and its evils.

Cant wait for XSOS V3.0, it it windows based in terms of drivers and general software and hardware compatibility? I hope it wont be like linux, in terms of compatibility and support.
    DRM is digital rights management http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
    Which is an umbrella term that refers to any of several technologies used by publishers or copyright owners to control access to and usage of data or hardware. We believe if you buy music or movies or what ever, that you will within fair usage maintain that media. We don't limit your overclocks (like a few OS's that I will not mention Vista SP2 ) Or what hardware you install. What limits we give you are the ones that drivers and applications you select. Unlike Microsoft which is trying to be on good terms with the record companies, We don't give a sh1t. We do not use Trusted platform or anything else that limits what you can and can not do on your computer. With that comes with responsibility to secure and maintain your system. I'm not your mother and what you do in your room is none of my business. I don't care if this OS is used for gaming or for you to beat off to Pron. it doesn't concern me and if your "uber script kiddie" tools don't work with it, your SOL. Now if a game or application that I think is worth the time, shows to have a problem; I would be more than willing to try to fix it.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

I am Xtreme
    <<< Just sits and waits.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Where's me Beer?
    Does this version include quick format?

Xtreme Member
    Speaking of Looks, does anyone here think we should Change the GUI up and make it look different?
    this is minor, but i hate the vista start button when in classic mode. can you make it look like the one in xp's classic mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket
    Erm, its a little weird how a lot of peeps dont have a case for their PC.....essentially thats a cheat because in a case things always run hotter, yet ppl will claim their OC "stable"

Sorry, in my book nothing is valid unless its in a case, and hence, a "normal" environment, by all means go nuts on cooling not a problem, but an open top setup with an OC ppl claim to be stable when in all reality inside a PC it probably won't be? Thats just unacceptable to me.

Xtreme Mentor
    DRM is digital rights management http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management
    Which is an umbrella term that refers to any of several technologies used by publishers or copyright owners to control access to and usage of data or hardware. We believe if you buy music or movies or what ever, that you will within fair usage maintain that media. We don't limit your overclocks (like a few OS's that I will not mention Vista SP2 ) Or what hardware you install. What limits we give you are the ones that drivers and applications you select. Unlike Microsoft which is trying to be on good terms with the record companies, We don't give a sh1t. We do not use Trusted platform or anything else that limits what you can and can not do on your computer. With that comes with responsibility to secure and maintain your system. I'm not your mother and what you do in your room is none of my business. I don't care if this OS is used for gaming or for you to beat off to Pron. it doesn't concern me.
    If one were to have XSOS and vista on the same pc, if you use and work with media files etc in vista can you then boot in to XSOS and be without the DRM issues or does vista embed it or alter the files in any way once you use them / work with them, in vista?

if your "uber script kiddie" tools don't work with it, your SOL. Now if a game or application that I think is worth the time, shows to have a problem; I would be more than willing to try to fix it.
    Can you clarify this a bit more. Does this mean that for the most part it will support everything windows does with some exceptions (I don't know what you mean by script kiddie tools) or that it will only support a very limited, your personal, selection of apps.
    French Duron Poof

Every time you lap a swiftech block a kitten dies

"Extreme Systems, yes. But it could also mean Extremely creative, Extremely resourceful and on and on. Please don't use the name of this site as an excuse to do stupid things" -situman

HEAT

Xtreme Cruncher
    script kiddies are people that try to be hackers, but don't really know what they are doing.
    A wolf in wolves clothing.

homepage

does this project have a homepage?

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by semiskilled
    does this project have a homepage?
    www.nnstep.com

It only provides XSOS V2.0 and no further info. It does have a nice pic though
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Excellent job nnstep. Will this be out soon. Also I am confused, is this based on vista or xp.
    Thanks
    ||Asus P5B||Celeron 420 320*8||1GB RAM||Samsung 24IN LCD||Seti@HOME||
    ||XFX 680I LT||No CPU||2GB RAM||Seti@HOME||-Down
    ||PSP||PS3||Wii||iPhone||Mac Mini||LCD-TV||2-LAPTOPS||Z5500||

OCTeamDenmark Founder Nosfer@tu's Avatar
    Such as DRM What will the DRM do ??
    Trusted Platform What does that mean, is it the part about certified drivers?
    that Keylogger WTF is that??
    Former owner of OCTeamDenmark.com
    MSI MOTHERBOARD!!!!!!

Linkedin

Nosfer@tu, man, wikipedia or google-it

nn_step: what keylogger ???

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosfer@tu
    Such as DRM What will the DRM do ??
    Trusted Platform What does that mean, is it the part about certified drivers?
    that Keylogger WTF is that??
    DRM limits what you can and can not do with certain Data or hardware
    Trusted platform is a hardware based version of DRM
    and apparently vista includes a keylogger as well as a great deal of user profiling, probably for administration but it smells too big brother like for my personal tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by epion2985
    If one were to have XSOS and vista on the same pc, if you use and work with media files etc in vista can you then boot in to XSOS and be without the DRM issues or does vista embed it or alter the files in any way once you use them / work with them, in vista?

Can you clarify this a bit more. Does this mean that for the most part it will support everything windows does with some exceptions (I don't know what you mean by script kiddie tools) or that it will only support a very limited, your personal, selection of apps.
    Vista uses NTFS, so you shouldn't have any problems.
    Yes this version will support Quick format
    We support MOST windows applications but not ALL
    and should an application fall into the unsupported category, you are supposed to tell me. For there to be a decision on if we are going to make a patch to include support or not.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Cant wait to run the beta! looks promising
    Project Blackhole: XS Case forum

Xtreme Cruncher
    will this support winfs? and any WILD eta; a estimate?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    DRM is like sony and blue ray, and their copy protective things, you know, sony is trying to make it so you cant touch a file or record your cd's onto your computer. etc etc etc.
    emptiness

Where's me Beer?
    Glad this version includes quick format!
    Saves so much more time when i build computers at work and need to test them.

Great work nn_step

in what stage is now?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by illidan
    in what stage is now?
    Beta.

The Blue Dolphin
    Quote Originally Posted by XSAlliN
    Beta.
    I suppose it's more like alpha, since the beta is not yet released.
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking forward to trying this
    Q9650 @ 4Ghz - 1.216v
    E8600 @ 4500Ghz - 1.34v - Q822A435
    Q6600 @ 4014Ghz & E2160 @ 3.6Ghz
    Silverstone Zeus 850w, Maximum formula,
    Custom Water Cooling, 4GB OCZ 9200 Flex II,
    Xfire 4850's 800/1150, 3D Mark 06 , Vantage,
    Frontlineforce

nn_step i want to test drive it
    i think u forgot me on the list
    wheres that beta-link?