Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: XSOS V3.0 Teaser Shot

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander
    As someone with "35 years of business experience", you should know that you don't even get your calls returned by Microsoft, let alone get in their door, if they think you're a clown that will fall flat on your face, as you describe it.

So they effectively give away DX10...for what knowledge? There are absolutely oodles of brilliant programmers out there, and if given access to the Vista/DX10 code and assistance from Microsoft, oodles of brilliant programmers who could make DX10 work with OS's other than Vista. The people at Microsoft who just designed DX10 could do this as well as anyone.

Hence my curiosity on this point, a point I would assume the XSOS design team (nn_step + ?) would recognize as critical for many people unfamiliar with their efforts. This really is the simplest question to answer. What specifically does Microsoft gain from this?

hell as far as you know Dave Cutler, Theo de Raadt, Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds could be working on XSOS, but then again you would never know.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    hell as far as you know Dave Cutler, Theo de Raadt, Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds could be working on XSOS, but then again you would never know.
    No, I am focusing on the MS question, as your quote of me would indicate. You already made it clear your team, such as it is, is anonymous.

I'm asking really basic questions I don't see why you feel the need to be evasive.

YouTube Addict
    No, I am focusing on the MS question, as your quote of me would indicate. You already made it clear your team, such as it is, is anonymous.

I'm asking really basic questions I don't see why you feel the need to be evasive.
    to say I know all of Microsoft's reasons, would be incorrect because actually I don't. My best guess would be mutual benefit.
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

Xtreme Mentor
    to say I know all of Microsoft's reasons, would be incorrect because actually I don't. My best guess would be mutual benefit.
    I'm not asking for "all of Microsoft's reasons".

But it is obvious that you have no intention of being upfront or forthcoming. If everything you say is on the up and up I cannot imagine why you would not engage these questions and put to rest any doubt, no matter where that doubt comes from, as to the veracity of the claims made regarding your project and its circumstances.

YouTube Addict
    I'm not asking for "all of Microsoft's reasons".

But it is obvious that you have no intention of being upfront or forthcoming. If everything you say is on the up and up I cannot imagine why you would not engage these questions and put to rest any doubt, no matter where that doubt comes from, as to the veracity of the claims made regarding your project and its circumstances.
    then please clearly express what exactly you are asking.

Xtreme Member
    I'm still not sure why it's even an issue. Mr. Step will deal with Microsoft related BS as it arises, I imagine. If MS gets the download pulled, then we'll get it from torrents.

I just want to try it out.

Oh, and BTW, HILARIOUS avatar.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by oshox
    I'm still not sure why it's even an issue. Mr. Step will deal with Microsoft related BS as it arises, I imagine. If MS gets the download pulled, then we'll get it from torrents.
    Why would MS get it pulled when they are a PARTNER (or at least significant contributor) in the development? Right?

Xtreme Guru
    so NN i have a few more questions, i was in the middle of toasting some toaster strudels thinking to myself how awesome xsos is gona be and these thoughts occured, i dont know if they have been posted before but they should help out us newbies who are worried about how user friendly it will be.

Basically convenient stuff such as the ability of the OS to autodetect new hardware, and autoplay when u insert a cd rom, etc. I know you hardcore guys can probably type a few lines of code to do all of that for you but us newbs rely on windows ability to do alot of this stuff for us. So will stuff like that be in XSOS or is alot of stuff gona have to be done manually.
    Last edited by Spawne32; 01-29-2007 at 08:34 PM.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    so NN i have a few more questions, i was in the middle of toasting some toaster strudels thinking to myself how awesome xsos is gona be and these thoughts occured, i dont know if they have been posted before but they should help out us newbies who are worried about how user friendly it will be.

Basically convenient stuff such as the ability of the OS to autodetect new hardware, and autoplay when u insert a cd rom, etc. I know you hardcore guys can probably type a few lines of code to do all of that for you but us newbs rely on windows ability to do alot of this stuff for us. So will stuff like that be in XSOS or is alot of stuff gona have to be done manually.
    umm you are speaking of Plug and Play and every version of windows after 95 supported it

Banned
    how long we will wait for this? any date.. like a month-two-three?

I am Xtreme

DUDE! When the avg joe is making toaster struddle its WAY TO DAMN early to be thinking deep...............well my mind doesn't wake up till after noon :-P.

Hey NN_Step, here is a naked shaved kitty for you :-P

Last edited by phelan1777; 01-30-2007 at 05:21 AM.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ndave
    I estimate April 1st :P
    darn you spoiled my secret evil plan for world domination

Banned
    I'd rather stay the hell away forem anyhing remotly Visat bassed. Work stop for a whole week due to Bill and his brigaed thinking there smart. That yellow liqud i let out works better than any of his OS do to date! Please can we have the last best working OS you made back online. Manny are wanting it and i wana bench the hell out of my rig

Banned
    I'd rather stay the hell away forem anyhing remotly Visat bassed. Work stop for a whole week due to Bill and his brigaed thinking there smart. That yellow liqud i let out works better than any of his OS do to date! Please can we have the last best working OS you made back online. Manny are wanting it and i wana bench the hell out of my rig

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777
    DUDE! When the avg joe is making toaster struddle its WAY TO DAMN early to be thinking deep...............well my mind doesn't wake up till after noon :-P.

Hey NN_Step, here is a naked shaved kitty for you :-P

i was making toaster struddle at 1am

Xtreme Guru
    umm you are speaking of Plug and Play and every version of windows after 95 supported it
    Well yeh basically, the kinda the stuff that makes it easy to install hardware/software for super noobs and old folks

Xtreme Member
    .... and old folks

I resemble that remark!!!

At any rate, if this is as excellent as the previous two versions were, I'm pretty stoked. Of particular interest to me is going to be how easy/difficult it will be to run my dvd reauthoring apps- if they don't work, no biggie I guess, just have to dual-boot.

Question International language support question... yet again :P

I know ths has been asked a lot in this thread, but I think I missed nn's answer. I want to know if XSOS' development team is planning international language support. I am particulary interested in Japanese language support.

I have no idea how is this OS being developed but, if it is borrowing resourses in any way from an existing Window$ version, then I guess it should not be a problem (that would further justify why M$ is asking for an existing Window$ license, BTW).

Please do not flame me. I am asking because I do not know

YouTube Addict
    yes XSOS is going to feature a good few languages, however we are waiting on the majority of our language packs as we speak. So no worries

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDov
    I resemble that remark!!!

At any rate, if this is as excellent as the previous two versions were, I'm pretty stoked. Of particular interest to me is going to be how easy/difficult it will be to run my dvd reauthoring apps- if they don't work, no biggie I guess, just have to dual-boot.
    so if you resemble it then you know what im talkin about

I must say that the prospect of XSOS v3 excites me beyond reason. My only hope is that it will completly annihilate my dependence on MS-Win (and to some extent Linux) for my laptop in particular, mostly because I have to stay with WinXP Home if I want to be legal (and we all want to be legal, right? ;)
    I will be on needles and pins until I can get my hands on a copy if for nothing else the fun of trying out a new OS. That being one of my favorite pastimes ^_^

And a special message to nn_step: (since I'm to lazy to PM right now)
    If you need hosting for the odd image (i.e. the teaser shot that has gone missing for instance ;) I will gladly provide it. I have a server with more space than I can use (using some 19% at the moment and hosting a couple of forums/image dumps) and more than enough bandwidth. PM me or something if you're interested =)
    Last edited by Etrai; 01-30-2007 at 02:42 PM.
    // Etrai
    [Insert witty signature quote here]

hmm, i just read all 11 pages....wow ....

i want to know if it will be possible to have a linux desktop environment and window manager (i.e. gnome and beryl (where beryl would provide the eyecandy aero can't achieve :p (www.beryl-project.org)

or even kde4....

(though after reading this thread, i don't have much hope )

o ye, and thnx to everyone working on this

I am Xtreme
    <<<Still glaring at NN, listening to his watch tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777
    <<<Still glaring at NN, listening to his watch tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc tic toc
    that is it, your in the last Beta team

I am Xtreme
    that is it, your in the last Beta team
    aww man, I was just kidding.....................to stressed out to take a joke........

<<<<<<RUns to his room and starts crying....

"IM TELLING YOUR MOM!"
    Last edited by phelan1777; 01-30-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast