Thread: Too many rads?

Xtreme Member

Too many rads?

Hey guys,

Im currently planning my first system.

I'll be cooling a C2D 6600, the NB and vidcard (R600 when its out)

I've already got a:
    Swifttech Storm
    Swiftech NB & GPU Block
    Swiftech 355
    BIX GTS360 Stealth Radiator
    x2 Petras tops

Soon I'll be getting my Tygon tubing and a 2nd 355 pump.

If I was to add 2 more single 120mm radiators to the front and rear fan holes in the case, would that be too much of a restriction for my system? 3 Radiators

Even if the 2 single 120mm rads are single pass and the 3x 120mm rad is dual pass, would the twin 355 with petras tops be powerful enough considering I also have those 3 blocks?

Or should I just stick to the single GTS360 Stealth?

Im thinking the R600 vid card I'll be cooling will pump out a lot more heat and I'll need the extra cooling capacity of more radiators.

Cheers

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgod
    Hey guys,

Im currently planning my first system.

I'll be cooling a C2D 6600, the NB and vidcard (R600 when its out)

I've already got a:
    Swifttech Storm
    Swiftech NB & GPU Block
    Swiftech 355
    BIX GTS360 Stealth Radiator
    x2 Petras tops

Soon I'll be getting my Tygon tubing and a 2nd 355 pump.

If I was to add 2 more single 120mm radiators to the front and rear fan holes in the case, would that be too much of a restriction for my system? 3 Radiators

Even if the 2 single 120mm rads are single pass and the 3x 120mm rad is dual pass, would the twin 355 with petras tops be powerful enough considering I also have those 3 blocks?

Or should I just stick to the single GTS360 Stealth?

Im thinking the R600 vid card I'll be cooling will pump out a lot more heat and I'll need the extra cooling capacity of more radiators.

Cheers
    If the your case/mods allow for it... change out the GTS360 before adding anymore RAD's.

What fans are you using BTW?

I just got a GTX and it looks promising but the Thermochill and Swiftech RAD's are the proven leaders right now with low CFM fans.

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Squire|Shuttle SD36G5M| R.I.P.

Xtreme Member
    I was going to use very low CFM fans for low noise.

I'll be keeping my GTS360 Stealth

Just need to know if add the 2 extra single fan rads is a waste of time and adds too much restriction?

Xtreme Cruncher
    I was going to use very low CFM fans for low noise.

I'll be keeping my GTS360 Stealth

Just need to know if add the 2 extra single fan rads is a waste of time and adds too much restriction?
    Curious as to why your so stuck on keeping the GTS esspecially when your using very low CFM fans?

I am curious because there is a review around here that proves the GTS to be a horrible performer with slow fans getting beat out by a significant amount by the MCR series and a PA120.2 is the equiv of a MCR320...The GTS don't pick up performance until fans > 70-90 CFM are used.

Also not to mention that the GTS is "the" most restrictive RAD that I know of by a huge amount (over 2 PSI drop where as MCR and PA's are <1 PSI drop) adding more RAD's (esspeically more GTS's) to an already highly restrictive RAD is just going to kill your flowrates and we all know storms hate low flow...

Also a tripple RAD should be enough for your loop and if it is not giving you the performance you want then don't you think you should be changing it? If you don't beleive me go look around for and find some of the veteran's around here running basically what you have (Storm, 2x DCC+ w/petras', GPU, ect...) and have great performance with 1 tripple RAD.
    Last edited by Bun-Bun; 11-27-2006 at 09:32 PM.

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Xtreme Member
    The main reason is Ive already bought the GTS360 Stealth, and the mounting Ive built for it wont fit anything else

Plus the fact Im in Australia and Thermochills are difficult to find.

How about if I got rid of the GTS360 and replaced it with two PA120.1's and housed them inside the case? The PA120.3 is just too big to fit outside my case

Xtreme Cruncher
    The main reason is Ive already bought the GTS360 Stealth, and the mounting Ive built for it wont fit anything else

Plus the fact Im in Australia and Thermochills are difficult to find.

How about if I got rid of the GTS360 and replaced it with two PA120.1's and housed them inside the case? The PA120.3 is just too big to fit outside my case
    I can respect that reasoning. It is the same reason (except availibility) That I chose not to go with Thermochill.

Check out the Swiftech then. I beleive it is similar in dimensions to the GTS. Multiple PA's would be alright because of there super low pressure drop.

Xtreme Member
    Swiftech are almost as difficult to find around here.

Looking at pics of Radiical radiators they look somewhat similar, does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for your help Bun