Page 4 of 182 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Testing / comparing : Intel D975XBX2 / Asus P5B DX ***56K WARNING***

Been reading this thread, and also wanted to know, if you would recommend this board when it comes to terms of 3D stability when OCed. Also, can I get it easily up to 4Ghz with say Corsair XMS2 800Mhz CL4 and E6600? Do you think for such case P4B DLX would be better? Same? Better perf with Bad Axe 2?
    If so, I am off to the shop
    Last edited by Kosta; 11-28-2006 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teratism
    Gwillakers: If it was an everest problem then the incident of resetting the voltages would not be limited to the bad axe 1 or bad axe 2 board. It may not be but with the data I have now of it mainly happening with these two boards it sounds more like the board makers forgot to shove in a safety to prevent this from happening.
    Safety to prevent this from Happening? ???

If you want to prevent it from happening ... then stop running the buggy program!

It is the program that is in control! Everest changed the voltage!!!

The Bios does not reset voltages when programs terminate.

If I write a program that makes an annoying beep when run on an ASUS board, would you blame ASUS for the noise?

As to Everest and Sandra having the same issue, well it wouldn't be the first time one vendor lifted code from a competitor... bugs and all.
    {Note, I am NOT stating that either manufacturer did something illicit, there are many forms of code sharing agreements in the industry}

I just think that as a consumer, one has a responsibility of placing blame where it belongs. One should not be too quick to state that this is a problem of vendor X, when in fact it could be a problem of vendor Y.

It is an issue that one could reasonably raise with both vendors, but my money would be on it being a problem with the writer of the failing application.
    Last edited by GWillakers; 11-28-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Gwillakers: I will agree blame should not be immediately placed on one or the other vendor and if possible both should be asked to correct this issue if it is their fault.

Xtreme Member
    The Everest developers told me that it was a BIOS issue. I've heard of no other board doing this. Moreover, this happened on the badaxe 1 with Speedfan and CPU-Z also.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heikis
    you're using the faster (1066) strap, right?
    yup, its default strap

Quote Originally Posted by uclajd
    That is pretty slow pi for 3.8 and such a high FSB. What are your RAM timings? Does the reduced cache make that much difference?
    ya, it does prettey much @ 1M

Xtreme Member
    what app do u guys to check vcore in windows?
    Last edited by tjelaw; 11-28-2006 at 05:33 PM.
    my buddy, Lian Li A70:
    * Asus P6T Deluxe & Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 + HT, stable @ 1.3875v & 6GB OCZ PC3-12800 Triple Channel Low Voltage & 1X Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    * DELL 30"WFP3007-HC & 2x 4850 CrossFire & X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro & Sennheiser HD595
    * SilverStone Zeus 750W

my liquid setup:
    *cpu EK Supreme Acrylic *rad TFC Xchanger 480QUAD *pump DDC-2 + XPSC reservoir top
    *tubing Tygon B-44-4X 1/2"ID - 3/4"OD + all Feser compression fittings

MY LIAN-LI A70-480QUAD WORKLOG - KAOZZ.COM

Quote Originally Posted by alejo
    The Everest developers told me that it was a BIOS issue.
    Well you are gonna get far with a response like that.

Did you ask him for specifics as to what code was broken?

What BIOS call was being made? What parameters did the function take?
    What were the values that were expected to be returned?

What "Documented" Interface was the application vendor using that he feels failed?

Their are documented BIOS interfaces for things like A) reading Harddisk sectors, B) setting times and dates, C) beeping the speeker...
    but I know of no "published" specifications for setting voltages on the motherboard.

Without published specifications, application vendors try to "hack" into the
    system. Try to figure out what snippets of program code are really doing.
    Problem is they often guess wrong. Maybe they were sucessfull for deciphering something in an Award BIOS or Pheonix, but maybe it's different in Intel.

You see...it's not really an Intel problem untill you can prove it to them it is an Intel problem. And then they WILL take ownership of it. Read the Errata sheet for your motherboard. There you can find out all pending problems, whether it is planned to be fixed by a BIOS, or a Hardware change, or not fixed at all.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWillakers

What "Documented" Interface was the application vendor using that he feels failed?

Their are documented BIOS interfaces for things like A) reading Harddisk sectors, B) setting times and dates, C) beeping the speeker...
    but I know of no "published" specifications for setting voltages on the motherboard.

Problem is they often guess wrong. Maybe they were sucessfull for deciphering something in an Award BIOS or Pheonix, but maybe it's different in Intel.

You see...it's not really an Intel problem untill you can prove it to them it is an Intel problem. And then they WILL take ownership of it. Read the Errata sheet for your motherboard. There you can find out all pending problems, whether it is planned to be fixed by a BIOS, or a Hardware change, or not fixed at all.
    They were not very forthcoming with info and even if they were to provide me with anything, I wouldn't know what the heck to do with it anyway. I'm just an end user. I asked if they could maybe take it up with intel, but they said that they are not in contact with them.

Anyway, sorry for the derail. I was just curious if the Badaxe2 had this issue also.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjelaw
    what app do u guys to check vcore in windows?
    For intel boards, use their Intel Desktop Utilities.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teratism
    How exactly did everest reset your voltage? Also does this mean you recommend this board?
    Yep, it will. I already did post it before on my Blog (and on Eva's posting). You can find link here: http://sleektech.nl/~dm/review/intel...x-note-04.html

Eva's post: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=122350&page=2

Use Intel's supplied utility, IDU (Intel(r) Desktop Utility) to measure environmental settings in Windows.

Visit Site: FanBoyReview™
    TEST
    (c)1999-2010 DM
    All rights reserve, All wrongs deserve

Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER
    ROFL, the "retail" clause now.

Let it go man, Conroe is gonna punk AMD bad.

Quote Originally Posted by GWillakers

Sounds like you are the best man for this job. My suspicion is that whomever you talk to on the other end will be like ummm, huh? Those tech support peons will have no clue what you are talking about and will have no desire to get you to the person that does.

Xtreme Member
    death metal: Thanks for the heads up.

gwillakers: I checked the errata sheet from the intel website. They have none or so the guide says.

Xtreme Recruit
    Can we stop squabbling over a peice of software?

Supertim0r >> Any updates on how things are going with the board?

I just put an order in for one and am very looking forward to playing with it
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    Can I sue Tt for emotional distress or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar: Re Scientology
    The most worthless pile of crap ever thought up. people stupid enough to fall for it should be runover and then teabagged.

INTEL inside
    yes, installed the kentsfield but I hit a wall at 390fsb
    retired computer enthusiast

Xtreme Member
    Well... Ive been playing around with mine, and it not what I expected.
    The OC-ing performance is okay so far, 370x10 with 6700 ES, fsb:mem 1:1.
    But nothing my P5W-DH couldnt do. Im own a rev. 503 btw

My findings:
    - vdroop is not that bad, but not as excellent as tim0r says. (note that using the advanced power slope feature helps!)

- I find the overclocking feature pretty frustrating and disappointing. If you set a too high setting, and it wont boot, you will have to clear/config the bios manually by turning of power and switching jumpers EVERY TIME. As where the P5W just automatically uses safe settings when boot or post fails.

This is very very very very fing annoying, especially since OC-ing in windows is not yet possible, because of the new PLL IC.

I can see myself trying to find the best vcore-vMCH-fsb ratio and having to switch jumpers 50 times every evening. And its not placed in a easily reachable place!

- The BIOS freezes very often while adjusting settings. ctrl-alt-del helps to reboot. But it seems very buggy. Having had to try 5 times to change vcore from 1.55 to 1.6. NOTE: this also happends with perfectly stable stock/default settings. I already updated to the latest bios

- CPU multi is NOT adjustable, at least it isnt for me. The option is shown in bios, but isnt selectable.

New bios plz?

More to come
    my buddy, Lian Li A70:
    * Asus P6T Deluxe & Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 + HT, stable @ 1.3875v & 6GB OCZ PC3-12800 Triple Channel Low Voltage & 1X Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    * DELL 30"WFP3007-HC & 2x 4850 CrossFire & X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro & Sennheiser HD595
    * SilverStone Zeus 750W

my liquid setup:
    *cpu EK Supreme Acrylic *rad TFC Xchanger 480QUAD *pump DDC-2 + XPSC reservoir top
    *tubing Tygon B-44-4X 1/2"ID - 3/4"OD + all Feser compression fittings

MY LIAN-LI A70-480QUAD WORKLOG - KAOZZ.COM

Xtreme Member
    Anyone that has this board have an X-FI? Are there any issues with it and the BA2? I've been contemplating dumping my 680i and have been looking at this board. Any feedback?

Thanks.

Shawn
    Asus P6T6 Revolution/Core i7 965EE
    Vista Ultimate 64bit
    BFG GTX295
    6x2gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-S223Q
    2 640gig WD's in raid 0
    Areca ARC-1210
    Auzentech X-FI Forte/Z-5500's
    Corsair 1000w psu

Quote Originally Posted by shawn1998
    Anyone that has this board have an X-FI? Are there any issues with it and the BA2? I've been contemplating dumping my 680i and have been looking at this board. Any feedback?

Thanks.

Shawn
    BX2 @ stock with X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro. No probs so far, but I only tried it in Oblivion and a couple of other games. There is one minor issue, but I guess it's Xfi software related: in gaming mode if you change any settings in the THX control panel the channels get re-mapped (e.g. front left disappears, rear left gets mapped to sub). If you don't touch THX all is fine, though. (5.1)
    Bad Axe 2 rev. 503 Bios 2507
    E6600 @ 3.0 (335 FSB; 420 RAM)
    eVGA 8800GTX
    Corsair XMS2 6400C4 2 Gb
    X-Fi Gamer Fatal1ty
    Corsair PSU 650W
    WD 1500ADFD, WD 360GD
    Zalman 9700
    XP Pro SP2

Xtreme Member
    Thanks.
    Asus P6T6 Revolution/Core i7 965EE
    Vista Ultimate 64bit
    BFG GTX295
    6x2gig OCZ Platinum DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-S223Q
    2 640gig WD's in raid 0
    Areca ARC-1210
    Auzentech X-FI Forte/Z-5500's
    Corsair 1000w psu

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjelaw
    Well... Ive been playing around with mine, and it not what I expected.
    The OC-ing performance is okay so far, 370x10 with 6700 ES, fsb:mem 1:1.
    But nothing my P5W-DH couldnt do. Im own a rev. 503 btw

My findings:
    - vdroop is not that bad, but not as excellent as tim0r says. (note that using the advanced power slope feature helps!)

- I find the overclocking feature pretty frustrating and disappointing. If you set a too high setting, and it wont boot, you will have to clear/config the bios manually by turning of power and switching jumpers EVERY TIME. As where the P5W just automatically uses safe settings when boot or post fails.

This is very very very very fing annoying, especially since OC-ing in windows is not yet possible, because of the new PLL IC.

I can see myself trying to find the best vcore-vMCH-fsb ratio and having to switch jumpers 50 times every evening. And its not placed in a easily reachable place!

- The BIOS freezes very often while adjusting settings. ctrl-alt-del helps to reboot. But it seems very buggy. Having had to try 5 times to change vcore from 1.55 to 1.6. NOTE: this also happends with perfectly stable stock/default settings. I already updated to the latest bios

- CPU multi is NOT adjustable, at least it isnt for me. The option is shown in bios, but isnt selectable.

New bios plz?

More to come
    anybody else with those problems?

and has anybody used badaxe2 on e6400 or e6300? i have my e6400 waiting for a board and im not sure if it will fly on the baxe2
    Intel C2D E8400 @ 4000MHz ~1,192V
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120
    MSI P35 NEO2-FIR (bios v1.8)
    ADATA 2*2GB DDR2 800+ EE
    ASUS Geforce 8800GT 512MB + Accelero S1
    Seasonic S12-600

INTEL inside
    -yes, you need to reset cmos everytime an oc fail
    it's annoying but it's new board, early bios

I made a switch to reset the cmos this summer for Bad Axe 304...using it on the bx2 now so I don't have to move the tiny jumper everytime my oc fail

-the vdroop is VERY small for me (YRMV)

-X-Fi = no problems for me

-I can only adjust multi on Kentsfield Q6600ES, not on E6600ES
    retired computer enthusiast

Before I make my order at ZipZoom, could you look at my list and see if any conflicts/problems.
    To Buy:
    Badaxe2
    8800 gtx (evga)
    I've have bought:
    ufo
    storm
    mcp355
    pa120.3
    turbo cool 1k (24 pin atx,8 pin cpu,2 x 6 pin pcie)
    loon fans & baybus & rheobus
    Still need:
    couple of raptors
    dvd/cd rw
    sata cables , etc
    My 1st build, has taken year to accumalate, Will probably use retail fan then
    switch to storm when system is up and running stable. First hurdle would be to put it all together and run stock. My two teenage boys would love to play
    Oblivion first before I start tweeking/ocing and burn it up. ( Have hipro mem smoker too )

thanks

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grain_Man
    To Buy:
    Why not pay a few dollars more and get a Xeon 3060 (higher quality E6600)?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=122224

bofors . Thanks
    3060 looks interesting. I'll give it a try.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My Bad Axe 2 from ZZF should be here monday. Naturally I'll torture it and post results.

Banned
    Again, nice work Supertim0r

Looks like there might be a replacement for the XBX I bought off you

Still haveta wait for RD600 and make the choice then, but it is nice to know your results.

Page 4 of 182 FirstFirst 12345671454104 ... LastLast