Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048-6400C4D..opinions please

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Exactly right fhpchris

Wired-HoH
    ^Let us see how many people will still buy this after they send out a review samples to websites of the latest batch with the promos chips
    As of now only people who dont know or dont care about what chips are used in them will buy these..
    and there will be those who still think that these are still using the old D9s not knowing about the promos
    Last edited by GrimReaper; 11-27-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Corsair Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimReaper
    Exactly right fhpchris

Wired-HoH
    ^Let us see how many people will still buy this after they send out a review samples to websites of the latest batch with the promos chips
    As of now only people who dont know or dont care about what chips are used in them will buy these..
    and there will be those who still think that these are still using the old D9s not knowing about the promos
    Just so you guys know, we never sent out the 6400C4Ds to review sites. The 6400C4D was created as a response to the "Dominator is sooo expensive!" complaint. We wanted to produce a lower-cost version of the Dominator that would work well for the mainstream consumer.

We don't send 6400C4Ds out because, honestly, it's kind of a boring part. A bunch of different companies have a Cas 4 800 MHz part out there, why would we send that out to compete when we could send a Cas 3 800 MHz part or a Cas 4 1111 MHz part?

The Promos ICs we use on the Dominator are screened at the IC level by us, and the 6400C4Ds that use them DO respond well to voltage. They have good headroom at Cas 5 and voltage, you can frequently get over 1000 MHz at 5-5-5 and 2.1 VDIMM on them. Which, in my opinion, is decent headroom for a part sold at 800 MHz.

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused, but as you all seem to know, Microns are very hard to get, and we've got a lot of orders to fill on our other parts.

We screen our Micron ICs for 8888C4, 9136C5, 8500C5, and 6400C3. If, for some reason, they can't hit any of those, the downbin path is to put them into 6400C4s.

Again, I don't feel like we mislead anybody. We never sent out the 6400C4Ds for an overclocking review, as far as I can tell, and occasionally a part might STILL be made with Microns if there's some fallout from the high-end screens I mentioned above.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by matsuya
    Hearing all this about Corsair, I'm trying to figure out if I should cancel my order on the 8500C5D's. I currently have G.Skill HZ's. I have a QX6700 on the Striker 680i.
    Those are good sticks and 100% compatible with the 680i we are talking here about the 6400C4D also the G.skill are good kits but the corsair will scale better with Cas5
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

If you consider "latest batch" to mean when they were made, consider this snippet from the afforementioned IC Inquiry Thread (as well as quoted earlier by me):
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    CM2X1024-6400C4D XMS6404v2.2 0645284-8 = PROMOS 667MHZ, CL5, .09u 64Mx8
    CM2X1024-6400C4D XMS6404v1.1 0645065-1 = Micron, 64Mx8, 2-533 CL4, Rev D
    Same date

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired-HoH
    uummmm..... W H Y? It doesn't matter what ICs they use! Yes, I fully understand that some enthusiasts look for certain ICs to maximize their potential / chance for high OCs, but they are selling a product that meets certain specs (timings / speed / voltage). They guarantee those settings, not the possiblity of how high they may go over that.
    Buying micron has nothing to do with "maximizing your potential", as everything else in the market just plain blows ass.

Again, they are not. Refer to previous statement. Nowhere do they state that a specific part # is made ONLY with a specific IC, with only one or 2 exceptions IIRC.
    I hate to rain on your parade, but the difference between even the worst D9GMH and the "best promos" (kinda sounds contradictory) is huge.
    1) make promos look like micron parts, that crappy promos stuff does not need heatspreaders at all, yet alone ones that even look like high end ram.
    2) charge as much for promos as others charge for micron
    3) Start making the ram with micron, and switch to promos to "save money"(or just cheat customers out of money)
    4) -saving space for my craptastic memmory here-

If the average user doesn't READ the packaging specs, that's no one's fault but their own. Caveat Emptor.
    Oh look, even advanced users here at XS have no freeking clue WTF corsair is going to ship out under those PC2-6400 spreaders. The problem is when people make ram that looks like micron, smells like micron, costs as much as or more than micron and even start production as micron, and switch to some promos crap to screw everyone (mid week even!).

I have no problems with anyone selling promos crap, as long as they say : "blah blah promos" I would be all for someone like Mushkin selling cheap elipidia/inferion/promos as something like the "green line" and even marketing it to overclockers -- so long as they say what the product is and what it is capable of.

Please post links where a memory manufacturer states on their webpage that they guarantee that a specific part # is made only with a specific IC. In otherwords, you can go to a store, ask for that part # (no version BS unless it's considered a separate part / SKU / whatever), and be guaranteed that it has a specific IC.
    Who cares about a webpage, lets see what the company reps say:
    GSKILL
    Quote Originally Posted by G.S Technician
    sup guys

yeah we change SN from month to week number hehehe
    but don't worry, for DDR2 800 2GBHZ is still using Micron chip for sure
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...on#post1849789
    MUSHKIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duonger
    these are micron d9 chips. can u show me where i posted it is elpida?
    Quote Originally Posted by Duonger
    Hi Eric

yes i know this thread is about the 6400 but the 8000 and 6400 uses the same chip exact that the 8000 is heavily binned. We got chips in and are still binning to get both parts back to the market.

Tom
    TEAM
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamUSOffice
    They were made by "M"icron ICs.

We have release a news regarding End Of Life DDRII 667 3-4-4-8 in the US and use DDRII 667 3-3-3-8 to replace the old model.
    Feel free to go the link I listed below to review the details.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=104389

Thanks for the support guys!
    ZOMG THEY EVEN EOL'D AN OLD MODEL! NO ELIPIDIA/INFERION/PROMOS HERE EH?

OCZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    The plat rev2's are not Elpida based, being honest i have been told not to say what they are but I will say they are not micron either.
    WOAH? HE SAID THEY ARE NOT MICRON! Clearly 150$AR/2gb isnt Micron.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    Finally if you want monster 1:1, VX2, the new 8500 or the 8000GEEK, 7200EPP...all high yield micron...
    Notice now the 315$ 7200EPP is "high bin" micron, funny how it costs the same as that promos crap...

Note that there's nothing wrong with them doing this of course, I've just never seen it. If they do in fact do it, then recommend that memory
    I do, just ask good ole' Perky. BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX BALLISTIX GET BALLISTIX!

Does that work well enough?

instead of pointing fingers whenever a manufacturer chooses to use multiple ICs so that their consumers can purchase the part now instead of waiting for the ICs to come in / get binned / etc.
    You are the one who said "buyer beware" in latin, I 100% agree. Buyer Beware M*****F***, and payback for selling this crap to us is a b**ch!

Like kemo said (and I'm paraphrasing a bit here), Corsair made no claims as to them using a specific IC exclusively in any of their advertising or forum posts in the Dominator series, and has even gone to the extent of answering IC inquiries on their forum for those who are wanting to know what ICs their sticks do use. They are not hiding anything, you just have to ASK.
    Three problems dude,
    1) normal people dont know what ICs are (hell even xtreme legends have no friggan clue WTF corsair uses, how will normal people)
    2) Corsair changes to promos on a weekly basis, with many finding out only after they have the product in hand.
    3) This was the general consensus up till a week or so ago:

Quote Originally Posted by varzmaster
    Twin2X2048-6400 were never ment to be Micron only. Official Micron D9 parts from Corsair are the 6400C4, 6400C3, 8500C5 and the Dominator.
    What could be confusing? <sarcasm>

A bit off-topic, but that ram list has listed incorrect information for some time concerning Corsair memory. It assumes part # + version # = IC, which IT DOES NOT! I've PM'd the author of that thread multiple times in the past, and gotten a response once IIRC, but it hasn't been updated at all. For the sake of your readers, PLEASE post a link to the IC Inquiry Thread, which is updated by Corsair, so that they have 100% correct information.
    What the IC list not updated correctly? What a suprise! I bet they will update it after someone posts a "hot deal" and we all buy it to find its not micron like the early parts of 6400c4d were.

Other manufacturers will just not have stock, or will EOL micron parts on low availability, corsair just screws people.

Corsair Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by fhpchris
    Other manufacturers will just not have stock, or will EOL micron parts on low availability, corsair just screws people.
    I really don't think that's fair to say.

I am Xtreme
    Have to agree with you there Chris. Corsair makes a great product. Their PSU's kick ase and some of their ram is great. I've ran XMS twice in my main rig, never had bad experiences.. though one of the times I did infact get "screwed" by the revision games they play.

Bought some TWINX2048 and it was supposed to be UCCC or Infenion CH I think, and I was expecting 250MHz or so. Nope, got Promos. GG. 227MHz 3-3-3-8 max. 3-4-4-8 or more volt wouldn't budge it.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NickS
    Have to agree with you there Chris. Corsair makes a great product. Their PSU's kick ase and some of their ram is great. I've ran XMS twice in my main rig, never had bad experiences.. though one of the times I did infact get "screwed" by the revision games they play.

Bought some TWINX2048 and it was supposed to be UCCC or Infenion CH I think, and I was expecting 250MHz or so. Nope, got Promos. GG. 227MHz 3-3-3-8 max. 3-4-4-8 or more volt wouldn't budge it.
    Usually corsair ships great uber-high-end stuff, and I feel it is a shame that they just cannot compete with stuff under 450$.

I run 8000ul in one of my rigs all the time, and sure my 4th gb of it from newegg was DOA, but I am happy with my older kits. What troubles me is things like this:

Quote Originally Posted by nicepun
    Got my sticks (4), I removed the heatspreader (don't worry I have a huge roll of thermal tape) and they have D9DQW if that means anything to anyone. I'll mess with them later this weekend so see what results I get.
    So how does the same revision of 8000ul end up with D9DQW and not D9DQT?

Xtreme Member
    If you can't ship out Micron, don't package Promo ICs under the uber dominator heatsink and sell them for Micron prices. That isn't fair to us...the customer.
    If the Promo ICs are cheaper...why not create a line of memory for that and sell it for Promo prices...not Micron prices. if you are out of stock...you are out of stock. *cough* greed *cough*
    ASUS P5N32E
    E6600 @ 3ghz
    2x1024 Buffalo Firestix 4 4 4 12 1T
    2x 7950GX2
    2x74gb raptors Raid 0

Have any 8500C5D's used Promos?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by matsuya
    Have any 8500C5D's used Promos?
    No not for now atleast they still seem to be D9s for now

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Despotes
    My 6400C4 Dominator kit I ordered a few weeks ago uses Promos chips not the D9s according to Corsair's IC info thread.
    Exactly what are Promos chips? Are they crap compared to Micron D9's?
    Makes me happy to know I spent $300 on crap. hehe I haven't tested then yet btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Despotes
    OK. After some testing. I can now say Promos really is crap. Why are they called Dominators?? Because they dominate at sucking. The 6400C4D's anyways.
    ouch! how bad did these do? post some numbers

No not for now atleast they still seem to be D9s for now
    I ordered mine from newegg last week. They just happened to pop up back in stock and are out of stock again. I hope Corsair didn't decide to change it. It should be in on the 30th.
    Last edited by matsuya; 11-27-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    They could at least make the Promos Dominators red or something other than black.

That and cut the price in about half.

Well this is kinda dissapointing - it looks like I just dumped $789 CDN for glitzy looking value ram. I have to say that I feel slightly mislead with this mem - the Dominator series seemed clearly clearly marketed at the enthusiast market and as such I thought they would use higher quality IC's, but alas, it seems that I might have bought a riced out Honda Civic. The only review I can find of the rev 2.2 is over on the Egg, and that particular user was unable to get his modules to run at their rated speed without throwing errors in Orthos. Here's hoping I have better luck when my Bad Axe 2 gets here and I install them in my build.

I guess next time I should email the retailer I am buying from and get the exact part, lot, and version number before ordering. I inquired over at HardOCP as to which modules were used in the Dominator 6400 modules and was told by a Corsair rep (Mike C) that " To my knowledge, all Dominator has been and will be made only with Micron ICs. But, the only way to know for sure is to have all the info listed in post #1 on that thread above.". Note to self - next time heed their advice and get all info before placing an order.
    Last edited by loafer87gt; 11-27-2006 at 09:57 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Corsair makes some sick ram (dominator 8888, 5400UL, 6400c3 anyone?) but this "version game" you play just tells me to not even consider looking at corsair when ram shopping because I don't have 500 dollars for a 2gb set of ram and I don't want to get raped with elpida junk or promos POS. You're losing customers here
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by loafer87gt
    I guess next time I should email the retailer I am buying from and get the exact part, lot, and version number before ordering.
    Many places will go tell you that the stuff they have is in a warehouse and getting those numbers is impossible. This is almost worse than the times everyone was buying up all the Kingston Bh-5, and all we had to do then was go look for a simple part number, not version and lot numbers too...

I inquired over at HardOCP as to which modules were used in the Dominator 6400 modules and was told by a Corsair rep (Mike C) that " To my knowledge, all Dominator has been and will be made only with Micron ICs. But, the only way to know for sure is to have all the info listed in post #1 on that thread above.". Note to self - next time heed their advice and get all info before placing an order.
    Even the company reps have no clue WTF is going on, ouch!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fhpchris
    They could at least make the Promos Dominators red or something other than black.

That and cut the price in about half.
    charging 300$ for this is should be 220 for so for promos and surely shouldnt look like the other dominators.

OK - some good news. I called Ncix and they said I can return my $800 worth of promos for a 15% restocking fee. They carry Crucial, Mushkin, GSkill, and Team group memory as well as Corsair. Corsair was originally my first choice, because in the past I have recieved really good support and very high quality / strong overclocking modules. To be honest, its not the overclocking headroom that concerns me most about these chips - its overall reliability / quality of the modules, something Promos isn't exactly known for. What do you guys recommend for a replacement part for use with a Bad Axe 2 / Kentsfield?

Here is their selection of memory if you guys wouldn't mind helping a fellow out.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...minorcatid=105
    Last edited by loafer87gt; 11-28-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Corsair Rep
    We don't have a Bad Axe 2 in the lab yet. However, my thought is the PC8500 (yes, our Dominator 8500 IS Micron and Micron only) will be plenty unless this chipset is faster than the original 975 boards or if you plan on modding etc. If you want to run faster than 1066mhz and you are still considering Corsair, the Dominator 8888 is great stuff.

fhpchris, I just got hired less than 30 days ago so I'd appreciate a little break here. I'm doing the best I can in the face of this unpleasant situation. BTW, is fhp for Florida Highway Patrol or what?
    Yes, Yellowbeard, a tall rough man with a big yellow beard

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by loafer87gt
    OK - some good news. I called Ncix and they said I can return my $800 worth of promos for a 15% restocking fee. They carry Crucial, Mushkin, GSkill, and Team group memory as well as Corsair. Corsair was originally my first choice, because in the past I have recieved really good support and very high quality / strong overclocking modules. To be honest, its not the overclocking headroom that concerns me most about these chips - its overall reliability / quality of the modules, something Promos isn't exactly known for. What do you guys recommend for a replacement part for use with a Bad Axe 2 / Kentsfield?

Here is their selection of memory if you guys wouldn't mind helping a fellow out.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...minorcatid=105
    Team Xtreem PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-10 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit 2.0-2.2V

or the G.SKill 6400HZ
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8GHZ 1.28V (Core Contact Freezer)
    Asus X58 P6T
    6GB OCZ Gold DDR3-1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
    XFX HD5870
    WD 1TB Black HD
    Corsair 850TX
    Cooler Master HAF 922

I am Xtreme
    BTW, is fhp for Florida Highway Patrol or what?
    YES! And he's going to arrest you for misleading products

(actually his car was a flordia highway patrol car from an auction or something)
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Corsair Rep
    WOW! Good thing I'm not in Florida then eh?
    Yes, Yellowbeard, a tall rough man with a big yellow beard

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Really guys, this whole Micron to Promos switching crap is nothing new.

Corsair has been pulling this for a quite a long time now.

I went into a big rant on AT about this, & of course, they responded the same way.

I don't blame the reps, however...

I do think though that if they want to regain any respect back from those of us who actually know what we are buying, they've got a lot of work cut out.

Corsair & OCZ specifically do this a ton, which means they make tons of money off unsuspecting n00bs.

That's why i will not recommend either brand to anyone at the moment.

When Corsair stops changing ICs like the wind, & starts offering kits actually worth buying, i might consider recommending them to n00bs.

Till then, i will evangelize against them
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | i7 930 @ 4 GHz | Corsair H50
    G.Skill RipJaws 4x2 GB @ DDR3-1600 7-7-6-24-1N | HIS Radeon HD 5870
    3x Intel X25-M 80 GB RAID-0; OCZ Agility 120 GB | Samsung SH-S243D
    Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64

My first post here and I had to just let Corsair know that they lost a sale on this one. I was on newegg and read the post from a guy on there who said they switched IC's and basically 'covered it up' as it were and decided to do a little searching and found this thread. I was all set to buy the 6400c4d's too. That post on newegg has since disappeared, no doubt at the behest of corsair. Between two shady vendors like newegg and corsair many unsuspecting noobs will get taken on this one. I'm just going to go with the super talent T800UX2GC4 kit instead which was my original choice anyway. I just figured with the bad axe 2 the corsairs would be more stable due to the corsair name. Boy was i wrong.

It's not so shady of them to change the IC to promos if the promos were capable of doing 800mhz at those 4x4x4x12 timings but reading many of the reviews and threads so far it appears that about half of the people can get them to run at that speed and half can't. AFAIK the microns had no trouble running those speeds or in many cases even greater.

Corsair really should lower the cost of these modules to the low 200's because no way they are worth the same price as the modules with micron IC's.

Customer relations fiasco.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast