Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus Striker Extreme, E6600, small review

Asus Striker Extreme, E6600, small review

Hey All, this is a small attempt at a review since not many people have a retail board and might be interested in buying it but is not sure if its worth the money.

First of all, everything in my sig is retail parts bought from online stores (mostly newegg).

Lets get on with the little review.

Installing the board is just like any other board really, the main concern people have is the 8pin power connector under the heat pipe, its actually really easy to connect, only takes a couple more seconds then if the heat pipe wasnt there. The way screen shots was posted it looked horrable to install, but its really not, the heatpipe is slightly over the socket, but its not dramatic.

The board was a dream for phase change, theres is so much clean room around the cpu socket, you wont need to cut the foam around all the caps. like you normally do, which was nice for once.

The boards default memory voltage is 1.85 (1.88 overvolted) which was not enough for my G.Skill, so be aware of that, swapping a generic stick in and adjusting voltage solved the problem. But i had to disable the cpu fan monitoring to get it to save the voltage change (since im not using a cpu fan)

This board gets very hot, very. When checking stability later, i kept raising voltages to make it stable, turns out it was heat not making it stable, and dropping voltages helped alot, also for any serious overclocking, you will NEED fans, the heatpipes are fine up to about 450FSB or so, after that you need to put some fans over the heat pipes to get stability, i used a 120mm fan blowing over the northbridge, and a 80mm over the PVM area, if your using air cooling you may not have this issue as you would have air movement coming from your CPU fan. Also the board comes with a optional blower type fan that i used over the northbridge, and i used the one that came with my P5WDH and placed it over the heatsink closest to the I/O plate.

This board overvolts every voltage except cpu voltage which is undervolts, most voltages are overvolted .03, example 1.45nb will read 1.48 in bios and windows, but it undervolts cpu by alot, .1 actually, 1.60 set in bios = 1.5 actual, and then it will vdroop another .03 with load on it, so 1.47. Adjusting the voltages didnt have much effect for me, moving them up a slight helped, but moving them up alot made things much worse. Be careful about your voltages and heat buildup.

500 FSB was easy, but more then that takes quite a bit of work messing with voltages and dividers, 1T is also easy to do, but takes a slight bump in memory voltage to get stable.

SLI worked perfect, Ntune allows you to adjust a couple things, but not much, was easier to adjust everything in bios.

The board does do the shutdown thing, but only once, if you go from stock to 349FSB it never does the shutdown thing, once you go over 350 it shutsdown and saves, then after that it will never do it again, however, on a failed overclock, instead of it defaulting to stock settings, it defaults to 350 FSB, and it will also keep your memory voltage the same, so you dont have to keep swapping sticks in and out. Also on a failed overclock, almost always it will hang after you have saved the new bios settings, if you just push the reset button on the board, or your case, it will boot fine and will default to either stock settings or 350 FSB depending on if you had booted before with a FSB over 350. I never had to clear the CMOS, just a reboot.

Also under the CPU socket is clean, theres no parts there to smush. And the asus probe II software was very accurate for all readings which was nice, including cpu temps, almost exactly matching coretemp readings.

SS of 500 FSB

SS of 1T timings

Since i only have a pair of 7800's theres no point in posting 3d mark scores, as they are not as impressive the 8800's

My super pi times for 1M was always in the 11.5s - 12.5s range depending on what i was setting my memory at, which seems about right.

For now, i settled on 4.2ghz @ 1.52v as my 24/7 stable

i played with memory settings for about 3 days, and oddly enough, the best choice was default settings, 4-4-4-5 @DDR 1000, going more would change the divider giving less performace, upping it into the 1200+ range i had to lossen the timings which killed the bandwidth, at 3-3-3-5 1T @ 800 its almost exactly the same bandwidth as 4-4-4-4-5@ 1000 but it required more voltage to make it stable. After finals when i have more time ill mess with memory more and cpu clock speed.

Also, this might be worth mentioning, at one point i had set the 1.2vht voltage to 1.5 (1.55 overvolted) and the computer hated that, both of the ethernet ports stopped working all together, i messed with them for 2 hours but it seemed i killed them, i installed a pci nic card, and soon as i rebooted, they worked again, im guessing it was a IRQ conflict, even though windows said that there was no conflicts. Anyways, they work again now.

So there you go, some info on the board from just a normal person like yourself, for me, it was worth the 400 bucks, you will need to decide if its worth it for you, and i hope this info helps.

Hehe this post was suppose to be about the board, but since everyone is sending me PM's on the CPU, heres the info on the box.
    L630A983 10/23/06 pack date..........got it from Newegg last week, shipped from CA
    Last edited by zemzelett; 11-28-2006 at 01:33 AM.
    Intel E6600 OCed 4.2ghz Vapochilled 24/7 stable @1.5v
    2x Gskill 1GB PC2-8000 2GBHZ (D'9s)
    BFG 7800 GTX 505/1370 SLI, Custom Water Cooled, Dell 24" Wide Screen monitor
    2x 150gb Raptor's RAID 0
    4x 250gb Seagate's RAID 5 (in NAS for backup)
    2x Plextor PX-716A DVD Burners
    PC Power and Cooling 1k Watt Power Supply
    Asus Striker Extreme
    Case- Lian Li 7077BW Fully Customized
    Want to buy 2x Gskill 1GB PC2-8000 2GBHZ (D'9s) to match mine, send PM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice post .nice cpu you have there . can you tell me if that cpu you have clocked better in other boards ,or vice versa?
    Gigabyte X38T-DQ6/2x1gb xtreme/2x2900xt
    E6850@ 4500
    1000w psu/vapo Ls/2x74gb raptor raid.

Xtreme Guru
    nice cpu bro, how good does it clock on air?

Xtreme Mentor
    Where did you buy the striker from?
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Vanovich,
    I dont have a answer for you, the cpu i had in my P5WDH was a week 27 and it died in the process of the motherboard swap, my only guess is from static, even though i was wearing a anti-staic bracelet at the time, bad luck i guess. So I had to buy another one from newegg last week and sent the other one back to intel for warranty (will go in my alt machine later)

GAR,
    I dont know about on air, ive been using phase for a couple years now and dont own any aftermarket heatsinks, i could test it with the stock one that came in the retail box, but as you prolly already know, once you get have a cpu installed and its working really good, its best not to mess with it.

Xgman,
    I bought it from newegg last week, at the time it was 399.99, an hour later it went up to 409.99 and a couple hours after that it was sold out. I know tankguys also had some last week but last i checked they was sold out now as well. I would think most retailers will have them back in stock in the next couple weeks.
    2x 150gb Raptor's RAID 0
    Asus Striker Extreme

Xtreme Mentor
    Very nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the review m8, i like the fact that you made clear that its an all retail board bought with your hard earned cash. Worrying are the heat issues and the undervolting of the CPU. I guess these two things simply dont justify its price tag.Nevertheless, i have mine arriving this week probably and ill give it a go till RD600 has come out
    E6600 L629B
    Asus Striker Extreme testing. I hope DFI can make my dreams come true!
    CELL SHOCK PC6400
    Tuniq tower 120
    MSI 7900GTO
    OCZ 600W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    very nice what week is that CPU?

Xtreme Member
    very very nice~!
    this is my ASUS 680i

QK Team2005
    未經QK Team同意禁止轉載.複製.修改文字.圖片等低能行為 。
    本サイトに掲載する一切の文書・図版・写真等を、手段や形態を問わず複製、転載することを禁じ ます。
    The copyrighted works contained in this information service shall not be copied, reproduced, varied, altered, modified, adapted, distributed, performed and displayed in any form without the written permission of the copyright owner.

Xtreme Member
    very nice mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom-Crusher
    very nice mobo.

What MOBO ???

Not one review to date has a picture of that LCD display on the back. ASUS acts like its this huge advance, not to have to use troublecodes, but not ONE friggin' person has shown anything about it. For a 400 dollar mobo, this should definitely be something that is brought up, as well as the cooling capacity of the NB/SB heatsinks. Sorta annoying.

Nice review, otherwise, though.
    Pentium D 805 @ 3.8Ghz
    2048mb DDR2 533 @ 3-3-3-8
    PCIe X1900XT (700/800)
    Audigy 2 ZS

I am Xtreme
    for a 400 dollar board they could have had the stupid lcd in a place that was visible without crawling behind the desk to see it.
    its retarded to put it on the back of the board.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Killnine
    Not one review to date has a picture of that LCD display on the back. ASUS acts like its this huge advance, not to have to use troublecodes, but not ONE friggin' person has shown anything about it. For a 400 dollar mobo, this should definitely be something that is brought up, as well as the cooling capacity of the NB/SB heatsinks. Sorta annoying.

Nice review, otherwise, though.
    Umm this thread already has lots of pics of the board Link
    so i didnt see the point of making more pics that everyone has already seen, asus also has pics of that little screen on their site as well.

qk4723Deluxe, is that just a max oc or are you stable right there? And what cooling was that, looks like DI to me judging by the cpu temp.
    2x 150gb Raptor's RAID 0
    Asus Striker Extreme

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zemzelett
    Hehe this post was suppose to be about the board, but since everyone is sending me PM's on the CPU, heres the info on the box.
    L630A983 10/23/06 pack date..........got it from Newegg last week, shipped from CA
    Hmmm. I just got a 6600 from there around last week (maybe the week before) and it was a L626B089. I haven't tested it yet because I don't have a board that overclocks the CPU at the moment.

Xtreme Addict
    I am air but the board has great FSB potential, still have some tuning left to do.

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/8...er7x534rp1.png

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zemzelett
    Umm this thread already has lots of pics of the board Link
    so i didnt see the point of making more pics that everyone has already seen, asus also has pics of that little screen on their site as well.

qk4723Deluxe, is that just a max oc or are you stable right there? And what cooling was that, looks like DI to me judging by the cpu temp.
    sorry!~
    Stability I didn't do a test,Yes, what I use is a dry ice

QK Team2005
    未經QK Team同意禁止轉載.複製.修改文字.圖片等低能行為 。
    本サイトに掲載する一切の文書・図版・写真等を、手段や形態を問わず複製、転載することを禁じ ます。
    The copyrighted works contained in this information service shall not be copied, reproduced, varied, altered, modified, adapted, distributed, performed and displayed in any form without the written permission of the copyright owner.

Talking

OMG....

OCSTATION TEAM THAILAND
    www.ocstation.com

Xtreme Member
    Looking good so far. ASUS have been very solid of late. Although expensive, I suppose you get what you pay for. Mate, can you please show us all the stuff the board came with. Does it come with Wi-Fi?
    Code:
    ASUS Maximus II
    Q6700  
    ZIPPY GSM-6600P (G1)
    Ballistix PC6400
    Sapphire HD4870

Xtreme Legend
    500MHz FSB that's good to hear looks good on the 1T 467MHz too
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade
    Looking good so far. ASUS have been very solid of late. Although expensive, I suppose you get what you pay for. Mate, can you please show us all the stuff the board came with. Does it come with Wi-Fi?
    It does not come with wifi, someone around here had some pics of what came in the box, think it was bingo13, its just the normal stuff, sata cables, ide cables, backplate, 3d mark 06 advanced, ghost recon, kaspersky anti virus, and some kind of huge mic that i havnt even taken out of the package, think that was most of the stuff anyways, just normal crap really.
    2x 150gb Raptor's RAID 0
    Asus Striker Extreme

Xtreme Enthusiast
    zemzelett...very nice job w/ the review. You answered many of the practical questions I had about the Striker board. Based on your results I now have a reference point to start tweaking the board. In addition to that it was good to hear from an "average Joe" sorta speak, using retail gear.
    Intel Xeon 3520 | eVGA Classified E759, GTX-285 SSC Tri-SLI | Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz 7-8-7-20 | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude | Intel 160GB X25-MG2 x 2, WDC 1TB Green Storage | Watercool HK 3.0, GPU-X² GTX285, MO-RA 2 Pro | Mips Chipset Kühler | Dual Laing 18w DDC+ | Corsair HX1000 | murderMod TJ07 #007 | Dell 3008WFP | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 |

Xtreme Member
    nice review but very expensive board(in holland over 300 euro)

Xtreme Mentor
    Is there room in between the heatpipes to maount an evap head using a standard Jinu117 style mounting kit?
    Never empower an idiot with a response....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Seller/Buyer Reputation:
    Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=50905
    Ebay: {Family Account} Kasyg3 http://myworld.ebay.com/kasyg3/
    Ebay: {My personal Account} Sdumper http://myworld.ebay.com/sdumper/

Quote Originally Posted by sdumper
    Is there room in between the heatpipes to maount an evap head using a standard Jinu117 style mounting kit?
    I cant say for sure, im using the standard mount for the vapochill, but judging by the pics ive seen of the Jinu kit, i would say it would fit.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and the PM's, I appreciate that.
    2x 150gb Raptor's RAID 0
    Asus Striker Extreme

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast