Thread: Bioware Goes PhysX.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

Bioware Goes PhysX.

the Maker of games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights and Baldurs Gate, is making the move to implements Ageia PhysX into thier next gaming engine, and that should mean, that alot of games coming from them, could very well support some level of enhcanced Physic support, if you have a PPU.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11...to_new_engine/

“There’s no reason to reinvent the wheel when you have a world-class, easy-to-implement physics solution such as AGEIA’s PhysX technology. AGEIA PhysX will deliver mind-blowing physics action for games using BioWare’s next-generation game engine," said Ray Muzyka, CEO of BioWare.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Monster
    Good to hear that. I think other companies should take this as an example and adopt the same to deliver to customers a new experience in games.

YouTube Addict
    Here comes the physics revolution. Lets just hope the competition makes the most perfect design the winner. Or better yet, two compatible Rivals
    Then the consumers win
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    i hope amd jumps in on this. that'll be competition.

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    the thing thats still the big mystery to me is...

we all know both ATI and Nvidia have various Physics set ups they plan on implementing into thier motherboards and videocards... like crossfire + physics, but will these physics options, be the same as the Ageia Physics options, so all games can benifit from the same Physics programs... or will this get disasterous, where Ageia has thier version of physics, Nvidia has their own... and ATI has thier own, and if your game is programmed with the right physics... then your screwed with the default low end physics?

I really hope theres a physics standard, that will work with all physics cards and set ups, otherwise, this is just gonna be a disaster.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was thinking the exact same thing.. But I suppose there'll be a standard of sorts, if nothing else, AMD and nVidia will have to buy in on Ageia's tech... They were there first at any rate...
    Otherwise we'll just have to wait for an update to the Havok Engine

Best Regards
    Silverstone RAVEN RV02|
    Core i5 2500K@4.4GHz, 1,300V|
    Corsair A70|ASUS P67 Sabertooth|Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty|
    Corsair Dominator DDR1600 4x4096MB@DDR3-1600@1.65V|Sapphire HD7970 3GB 1075/1475MHz|
    Corsair Force F120 120GB SSD SATA-II, WD Caviar Black 2x1TB SATA-II 32mb, Hitatchi 320GB SATA-II 16mb|Silverstone DA750 750w PSU|

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak

we all know both ATI and Nvidia have various Physics set ups they plan on implementing into thier motherboards and videocards... like crossfire + physics, but will these physics options, be the same as the Ageia Physics options, so all games can benifit from the same Physics programs... or will this get disasterous, where Ageia has thier version of physics, Nvidia has their own... and ATI has thier own, and if your game is programmed with the right physics... then your screwed with the default low end physics?

I really hope theres a physics standard, that will work with all physics cards and set ups, otherwise, this is just gonna be a disaster.
    There will be a physics standard by Microsoft, but we won't see any of it at least until 2008. Until then you'll see a battle of multiple physics API whether it's AGEIA, Havok, Nvidia's or even homebrew ones like the one used in Crysis.

Until there is a standard API, physics is not going to be as widely adopted as we would like to see.
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Xtreme Legend
    i am really against another card we have to stick in the system to get things going faster

just freaking sell the tech to nvidia or ati and be done with it

or at least let GFX card manufacturers integrate the chip on the VGA board rather than another card man
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    As far as I know nvidia uses Havok FX. AGEIA use their own stuff and I dont know what AMD will use, but I think I saw some papers saying Havok FX aswell.

Nvidia originally planned to use a dual video card setup, whereas ATI came up with the crossfire + physics setup.
    Nvidia can also use a 3 video card setup as well. It also works with 2 cards in SLi, where according to the game situation both cards do graphics or one does graphics and the other card physics.
    According to a interview with a nvidia guy (cant remember who, sorry) the drivers for physics support will come out in Q3. He didnt say what year, but from what he said after that I assume 06.
    It would be great to have some more details on the whole physics stuff. They are developing for quite some time now and I would really like to see some demos or further information about it.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak

...will these physics options, be the same as the Ageia Physics options, so all games can benifit from the same Physics programs... or will this get disasterous, where Ageia has thier version of physics, Nvidia has their own... and ATI has thier own, and if your game is programmed with the right physics... then your screwed with the default low end physics?
    Us old folk had the same issues with 1st gen 3d accelerators, 3dfx with glide, powerVR, and S3 with S3D. Later on a pair of standard APIs, Direct3d and OpelGL, were used. It'll work itself out in another generation or two.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exhausted mule

They have jumped on it. (Ati=Amd)
    AMD Phenom II 940BE | DFI LP DK790B-M2RS | Echo audio Layla 3G | 8GB Corsair C5 PC6400 | Sapphire HD3870 with HR-03+ | Genelec 8030A | Samsung 244T | Antec P182 gun metal | Thermal right Ultra120 | UPS: APC BACK-UPS RS 1500VA | Windows Vista Ultimate 64 | DAW: Ableton/Sonar | WAN: 100/10Mbit/s | OS on: WD Velocioraptor Storage: Rocket Raid 2300 PCI-E + 4*400GB Samsung T133 @Raid5. Firewall: Tyan Tomcat 945GM | Core Duo T2600 | 2*512MB ram | Nexus PM PSM-5000 | Picu PSU.

"People who enjoy waving flags
    don't deserve to have one".

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I like BioWare and all, and I like the initiative with HW accelerated physics, but right now it's probably best to wait and see what all actors will bring and lateron what'll turn out to prevail. I'm still leaning towards waiting for second gen and some more standardization.

Btw, will this "next-gen" engine be used for Mass Effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    I have a feeling that in 5 years. WD, Seagate etc will be some unknown names.
    (Posted by Shintai, 08-18-2008)

Xtreme Addict
    Take a look at this review.

we all know both ATI and Nvidia have various Physics set ups they plan on implementing into their motherboards and videocards... like crossfire + physics, but will these physics options, be the same as the Ageia Physics options, so all games can benefit from the same Physics programs... or will this get disastrous, where Ageia has their version of physics, Nvidia has their own... and ATI has their own, and if your game is programmed with the right physics... then your screwed with the default low end physics?

That depends on customers taste, since we don't have any cards from ATi/nVidia to make a comparison with Ageia it's hard to tell based on demos from internet - at middle of 2007 things will look different.

i am really against another card we have to stick in the system to get things going faster
    Actually whit Ageia things go slower, you have less FPS but a different enviorment - based on Physic.

As far as I know nvidia uses Havok FX. AGEIA use their own stuff and I dont know what AMD will use, but I think I saw some papers saying Havok FX aswell.
    ATi uses Havok FX as well, and here's a demonstration video.
    Last edited by XSAlliN; 11-12-2006 at 09:35 AM.