Thread: Sleeving Psu Non-modular cables

Sleeving Psu Non-modular cables

Hello there.

Well I really want to sleeve one by one the cables of my PSU (Just like the guys of million dollar pc), but this one is not modular. I have a PC POWER & COOLING TURBO-COOL 860W.
    Also Im a little bit scared about working with the stock cables.

So I though I could buy sume extensions, and work on them, further I will put the non-sleeved cables out of sight and you will just see the sleeve cables.

What you think people, using a couple of extension,would be a problem for stability and all that stuff??

Thanks a lot.
    Chanchito: GA-X48-DS4 / Q9650 / TRUE Copper + 2x S-FLEX / 2X2 GB G.SKILL 1066MHZ / PC P&C Turbo-Cool 860 / Empty Space / WD 320 / WD 80 / Cosmos S / Kama Master Bk / 3x Slip Stream.

Xtreme Member
    If anything, being modular only makes it more difficult, since you have twice the number of connectors to remove and heatshrink. You could do extensions, but they add resistance, I'm not a big fan of them unless they are absolutely necessary.

Your best bet is to sleeve each wire individually, as you said you wanted, but don't do it all the way into the PSU. Do it for the visible portion of the cable (maybe 40-90% of the actual length), then group them back together inside of a larger sleeving. Gives you the illusion of having everything sleeved one by one, except with less work.

Workstation: D5400XS Skulltrail : 2x Xeon E5420 Quads @ 2.58GHz + 8GB FB-DIMM DDR2-800
    Rocketfish (LL) case painted black // OCZ EliteXStream 800W
    2x VisionTek HD 4850 in CrossFire (I want 8800 Ultras in SLI) --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
    HTPC: E1200 @ 2.8 + 610i + 2GB DDR2-800 + 8600GT + Silverstone Kublai KL02
    Router (in progress): Intel Atom 230 + Intel PRO/1000 GT + GS108T gigE switch + WRT54GL + a drawer

Thanks for your aswer.

But seriously do you think use extension would be so wrong. For example a got an extencion, 12" between de psu 24 connector and the motherboard, and I havent got any kind of problems with it...

And also... how much ressisntace would be add to be so usefull?

Thanks again
    Chanchito: GA-X48-DS4 / Q9650 / TRUE Copper + 2x S-FLEX / 2X2 GB G.SKILL 1066MHZ / PC P&C Turbo-Cool 860 / Empty Space / WD 320 / WD 80 / Cosmos S / Kama Master Bk / 3x Slip Stream.

None wants to share his/her opinion about this!?

Xtreme Member
    Extensions are bad
    i7-920 @ 4.0ghz/1600mhz,
    Quantum Force Bloodrage, DominatorDD3,
    Velociraptor, gtx460-sli, 2tb W.D., Corsair HX1000w,
    CM:Scout

http://soundcloud.com/kiyka/

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, they're not going to result in any more resistance than a modular PSU would. Go ahead and use them, it's not like it's going to degrade your performance at all.

This is what I would do, not the safest mind you, but if you have your head on right, there shouldn't be any problems:
    1) get pin extractor and remove molex connections from wires
    2) open up PSU safely (don't poke things)
    3) sleeve cables back to PCB board or just past the wall of the PSU. Zip tie, heat shrink, etc (personally I don't like the sleeved individual wires thing but whatever floats your boat)
    4) Put back together
    5) enjoy.

** Opening your power supply will void your warranty **

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Isn't there a guide somewhere here at XS?

I am Xtreme
    I've been using an 30cm extender for my 24pin atx and a 50cm PCI-e 8 pin without any problems.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

eric418
    Quote Originally Posted by federico.fgg View Post
    Hello there.

Well I really want to sleeve one by one the cables of my PSU (Just like the guys of million dollar pc), but this one is not modular. I have a PC POWER & COOLING TURBO-COOL 860W.
    Also Im a little bit scared about working with the stock cables.

So I though I could buy sume extensions, and work on them, further I will put the non-sleeved cables out of sight and you will just see the sleeve cables.

What you think people, using a couple of extension,would be a problem for stability and all that stuff??

Thanks a lot.
    Extension shouldn't cause any stability issue assuming you are doing it right.

But actually you don't need extensions for sleeving, you may simply buy a set of Universal Molex Pin Remover to remove the connectors of your non-modular PSU cables, and buy your targeted color cable sleeves and cable sleeving heatshrink to start playing with it. Before removing the connectors, make sure you have marked down the pin assignment clearly and correctly.

Alternatively, if you don't want to spend all the times to do the sleeving yourself, you may simply buy those pre-made single braid sleeved PSU cables.

Hope all these info help.