Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are my temps???

Xtreme Member

How are my temps???

Hey guys, I just got my new phasechange system up and running and have a very important question. I am wanting to make sure I am getting good contact between the evap and the chip.

I am running a stock e6700 on a p5b with my Chilly1 Unit. Temps are measured by Speedfan.

Idle: -38c (-45c temp on LCD)
    100% Load: -20c (-40c temp on LCD)

18c delta between idle and load is a lot for air and water, but what about phase? Do I have bad contact?

Thanks for any and all help

-100c Club Member
    Few more info such as voltage and overclock can help
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Member
    all those readings were at stock speed and volts
    Last edited by Seufari; 12-05-2006 at 01:23 AM.

-100c Club Member
    Hmmm delta doesn't look too bad. Keep in mind delta increases as you put more heat on it (hence the load vs idle temp difference). First put bit more overclock till you feel you have 24x7 setup than play with mounting as you go until you get best result you can under load

Single Stage Work Logs

Xtreme Member
    hmm... I dont think I have a good mount. at 3.5ghz with 1.55v under load, I am at -10c read by speedfan. Is this expected?

I'll probably go with it till I hit an OC limit...
    Last edited by Seufari; 12-05-2006 at 07:58 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Load temp with 1.55v and 3.75ghz is -6c...

Bad contact right, or are these temps normal???

Xtreme Member
    if you suspect you have bad contact, take off the evap and check the pattern in your TIM. if it hasn't spread over the entire surface of the IHS and Evap then you probobly have poor contact. also, most integrated heat spreaders are either concave or convex, so to get a flush mount you have to lap your IHS and evap well, and have a good mounting system.

Xtreme Member
    I spent a lot of time trying to get a good mount, and have not the faintest idea how evap temps translate into cpu temps.

Thats the biggest problem. I dont know if I have a good mount, because I dont know what temps should look like.

My CPU is lapped and I think the stock chilly1 mounting system is pretty good.

HVAC/R student
    Don't know if it'll apply to phase change and ceramique, but my experiences are that if I can see the heat spreader through the thermal paste, there has been good contact and a proper amount of AS5.
    ...is no longer working as an assistant HVAC/R-installer...
    But, is still blasting 20000 songs of real Rap

Xtreme Member
    I dont know if you guys are understanding what I am asking...

I have an evap temp of -35c and a CPU temp of -6c. Does this sound right?

I'll check the mount when I get the chance but I dont have the time right now...

Xtreme Member
    I'm kinda new to phase myself, but yes that does sound a bit high for the delta between your evap temp and core under load, but at stock settings (no overclock). I might expect to see ~40 C delta with a large over clock, but not at stock. Anyone else?

Anyway, just remount it and see...I know it is a small PITA, but worth trying. Like sturl and others have said, if when you remove it and you have a nice imprint of the evap on your heat spreader and just a thin film of paste, you probably had good contact.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seufar

I'll check the mount when I get the chance but I dont have the time right now...

Your mounting may be kind of off. I was running 1.76vcore on my E6600 with really poor mount in my case. Idle was -29c n dropped to -11c load. I remounted and now its -39c idle with a much higher vcore than urself. Oh and evap is always about 43-48c.
    QX6700 ES - B1 S5
    eVGA 680i
    ATI x1800xtx
    Cellshock DDR1000
    Silverstone DA750

Xtreme Addict

I'll check the mount when I get the chance but I don't have the time right now...
    Sounds logical, a delta at load of 30c is on the average, not the best, nor the worse.

If you want to get an even contact, get a Caliber, so you can measure the pressure you are making in any of the bolts (and use bolts of the same length...)
    I will take some pics tomorrow to show you how to do it.

And also the imprint, but if you got a good mount, then you unmount and not have any reference, it would be just luck to get the same contact again.

Xtreme Member
    Man have I had a ride.
    So I decide after a crash which resulted in the system booting without the phasechange running, I was going to check the mount.... I had screwed down too much and the rubber o-ring had slid down. I had the hardest time getting the plastic piece surrounding the evap back up where it was supposed to be, and in my futile attemps I cut a few deep gashes in the evap. I then quickly lapped the evap to try to smooth then out, and rebuilt everything.
    Mobo wouldn't post. I feared the worst, fried processor... I tried my e6300 and got the same result. Clear CMOS, no effect... Fried Mobo... I am at this point crying, when I notice I forgot to plug in the 4-pin mobo power connector. Plug it in and mobo boots!!! Yah!
    Havent tried the e6700 yet, but I have high hopes.

All that being said...

I am having trouble with my ceramique. I should be using AS Ceramique right? It seems to be amazingly difficult to spread and it doesn't want to stay on the evap.

Xtreme Addict
    Man have I had a ride.
    So I decide after a crash which resulted in the system booting without the phasechange running, I was going to check the mount.... I had screwed down too much and the rubber o-ring had slid down. I had the hardest time getting the plastic piece surrounding the evap back up where it was supposed to be, and in my futile attemps I cut a few deep gashes in the evap. I then quickly lapped the evap to try to smooth then out, and rebuilt everything.
    Mobo wouldn't post. I feared the worst, fried processor... I tried my e6300 and got the same result. Clear CMOS, no effect... Fried Mobo... I am at this point crying, when I notice I forgot to plug in the 4-pin mobo power connector. Plug it in and mobo boots!!! Yah!
    Havent tried the e6700 yet, but I have high hopes.

All that being said...

I am having trouble with my ceramique. I should be using AS Ceramique right? It seems to be amazingly difficult to spread and it doesn't want to stay on the evap.
    You are supposed to put ceramique over the processor, not the evap...
    Did you ever had a computer before this one?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssilencer
    You are supposed to put ceramique over the processor, not the evap...
    Did you ever had a computer before this one?
    Lol yes...

I meant, not alot of the ceramique was wanting to stay on the evap after unmounting. I would get a nice impression on the chip, but none would stay on the evap. I am used to having some as5 on the waterblocks and heatsinks when unmounting.

EDIT: My e6700 seems to be dead And I still cant get a good mount...
    Last edited by Seufari; 12-05-2006 at 08:28 PM.

-100c Club Member
    Eeek. What did you clean up the evap with? I suggest nice does of electronic contact cleaner, Artic silver cleaner (it's orange goop with some cleaning agent on 2nd stage), than alcohol. Also, don't bother trying to mount when evap is any cold. Ceramique really hardens up below 0c. Worst case, I can't even take it off my load block without incredible force when below -20c. Requires at least 30lbs of torque to get it out when it is that cold. (wouldn't try that on CPU obviously).
    Old adage of going slow helps tons.

Single Stage Work Logs

Xtreme Member
    IF mobo is in case, maybe remove it and mount then place it back in case? I had my components on a table n just tested mounting and when its decent you put it back in the case.
    QX6700 ES - B1 S5
    eVGA 680i
    ATI x1800xtx
    Cellshock DDR1000
    Silverstone DA750

-100C Club Member
    I have been caught before with not pluggin in that 4 pin power connector and system not booting heheeh. Id say if your E6300 is fine try the E6700 again and see how ya go. One way I check my mount is, i boot pc at stock oc without cooler running and go into bios and check temps through bios, ya should have 10-20c more on the core than on the cpu head (to do this though need a temp probe to display the temps, cannt do that though if running a gfroster controller etc.) once it hits 60c on the core shut pc down and start the cooler, or if die temps rasie too fast remount and start again.
    When ya screw the head down your don’t need to do it as tight as you can as you warp the mobo. Generally with the 775 socket its hard not to get a good mount.
    I find generally with my p5b that if I don’t have good contact I cannt run 1.7vore from bios without system shutting down or crashing. Try booting with 4-4.5ghz and run orthus and watch temps. If temps go above 10c on the die at full load and vcore I would be worried and check the mount. Dies temps can be all over the place, but as long as system stable and handle highest vcore should be fine.
    Last edited by kayl; 12-06-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Worst overclocker evar!!
    basically what kayl said...

to help get better contact, put the ceramique on the cpu, mount the evap, turn on the PC without the phase change on for a few seconds, then turn it off, tighten down the evap a bit more, and you're good to go. the ceramique seems to need to have some heat for a few seconds to bond to both the CPU and the evap really well.
    I used to have links here demonstrating how awesome I am, but it's been so long that they're not very relevant (and the pictures have disappeared), so I guess I'll have to get working on new stuff.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eshbach
    basically what kayl said...

to help get better contact, put the ceramique on the cpu, mount the evap, turn on the PC without the phase change on for a few seconds, then turn it off, tighten down the evap a bit more, and you're good to go. the ceramique seems to need to have some heat for a few seconds to bond to both the CPU and the evap really well.

Hey, Thanks for that advice. I am going to try that next, although I have almost gone through an entire tube of ceramique.

IDK what the hell is going on as my contact seems to be great. I am getting a nice imprint of the evap in the ceramique on the cpu and I get decent idle temps of -25c but when I run orthos it goes to 15c. (NOT -15c).

I fear something may be wrong with my phase change unit...

-100C Club Member
    Hey, Thanks for that advice. I am going to try that next, although I have almost gone through an entire tube of ceramique.

IDK what the hell is going on as my contact seems to be great. I am getting a nice imprint of the evap in the ceramique on the cpu and I get decent idle temps of -25c but when I run orthos it goes to 15c. (NOT -15c).

I fear something may be wrong with my phase change unit...
    what vcore and clock speed ya at, orthos does general alot of heat.
    does it get much hotter than 15c at load?
    what sort of temps ya getting running 32m run
    if ya using a high vcore that temp might be ok, as i said before die temps can be all over the place, if ya got 1.7v bios and 4.5ghz id be happy with 15c die temps at load with orthos.

can you do some screen dumps, what sort of temps are you getting with the asus temp tool that cam with the mobo, when i tried fanspeed i couldnt get mine to work
    Last edited by kayl; 12-06-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I am at 515*7 3.6ghz on my e6300 with 1.55v

The temp seems to stay at around 15c max according to speedfan. I'll try a 32m run when I get done with a four hour orthos run.

I have never used asus probe as I absolutley love speedfan and its plugin for my g15. Doesn't the Probe just read the same sensor anyways? TAT and Coretemp are the ones that read core temp, but I heard they only work for 0c and higher (which I am at anyways :S)

-100C Club Member
    id say that thats a little hot for that oc and vcore.
    I have never been able to get speedfan working on my mobo.
    what version you using, the asus probe reads down after 0c from 255c, 254 253c.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kayl
    id say that thats a little hot for that oc and vcore.
    I have never been able to get speedfan working on my mobo.
    what version you using, the asus probe reads down after 0c from 255c, 254 253c.
    Kayl, you can do some math to get asus probe reading
    Asus probe limit is 255c - the actual reading (for example 235) = 20 is actually -20 on proc, and pretty accurate.
    Also, latest version of speedfan and also systool reads under zero too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast