Thread: Why

Why

Not sure that this is the place to ask this question, but here you go...
    I was wondering about the whole process here, this is just to bench different chips to see how high they can go?
    some chill the GPU also, but basically it's just for benching- right?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes only used for benching as it is dangerous in the wrong hands and only lasts a limited time, so yes just for benching

¿
    If you are referring to dry ice & liquid Nitrogen yes, it's main use here is for benching. If your not limiting the question to those cooling methods then it requires an entirely different answer.

It seems that the other cooling methods can be used in everyday use in one way or the other. Where as dry ice & liquid Nitrogen can not, obviously not a sustainable cooling method. Which brings me to my next question- how long can one bench per application? Does it depend on the size of the tube? or as they say, "Does size really matter"

¿
    As long as you want, you simply refill the container as needed.

Xtreme Addict
    As long as you want... providing you have a large supply of dry-ice or LN2 .

You have to have a good supply of both correct, crush up the dry-ice and pour in some LN2. Or is there an equation to this?

Xtreme Addict
    No there is no equation. With dry-ice you can just leave plenty in and you will get temps down to about -78c. With LN2, you have to control how much you pour in... that is if you have a CPU with cold bug.

xtreme energy
    On average 1kg = 1 hour of DI, and you need to crush DI all the time

When I was benching yonah ratio was more like 1kg = 1.5 hours. Basically spent the whole day on DI, just refilled container every 30 minutes or so
    Last edited by kiwi; 04-07-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Also from what I have been told, it takes a little more heat to evaporate solid than liquid. So dry-ice needs a bit more heat to evaporate, LN2 will evaporate easier but you have more control over the base/CPU temperature.

@kiwi what do you mean- "yonah ratio"

For some reason I thought you use both, dry ice and LN2. But you use one or the other. Apparently the LN2 is the colder of the two. Is there a list of cpu's that have the cold bug? or is it a hit and miss proposition on each chip you bench?

Xtreme Cruncher
    You could always use liquid helium that goes down to around 4 kelvin.
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dunway View Post
    @kiwi what do you mean- "yonah ratio"

For some reason I thought you use both, dry ice and LN2. But you use one or the other. Apparently the LN2 is the colder of the two. Is there a list of cpu's that have the cold bug? or is it a hit and miss proposition on each chip you bench?
    Dry-Ice = -78c (solid form)
    LN2 = -196c (liquid form)

There is a list of coldbugged CPU's somewhere on these forums I remember seeing it. However almost every CPU is different... the same type of chip can coldbug at differnt temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    You could always use liquid helium that goes down to around 4 kelvin.
    Liquid Helium isn't really practical for home users... it's WAY too expensive because it takes so much energy to make even small amounts. Plus it would cost thousands for all the proper equipment to work with the stuff... the dewars often use LN2 to cool the walls of the Liquid Helium dewars. Also liquid helium is 4c warmer than absolte zero!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What do you use to melt the dry ice? I heard water isn't the right thing to use.

Xtreme Addict
    Dry-ice doesn't melt. It misses out the liquid state and evaporates straight in to gas form. When you add heat to dry-ice, it evaporates in to co2 gas.

Same with LN2, when you add heat it will evaporate in to nitrogen gas.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Brettbeck View Post
    Dry-ice doesn't melt. It misses out the liquid state and evaporates straight in to gas form. When you add heat to dry-ice, it evaporates in to co2 gas.

Same with LN2, when you add heat it will evaporate in to nitrogen gas.

When a solid goes to a gas skipping the liquid phase thats called sublimation. you will see sublime used as the verb.

When the opposite happens when a gas goes directly to a solid thats called deposition. You guys see this process all the time too. When water vapor in the air forms frost directly without condensing that is deposition That happens when you passed the dew point and reached the frost point.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Cruncher

Liquid Helium isn't really practical for home users... it's WAY too expensive because it takes so much energy to make even small amounts. Plus it would cost thousands for all the proper equipment to work with the stuff... the dewars often use LN2 to cool the walls of the Liquid Helium dewars. Also liquid helium is 4c warmer than absolte zero!
    Yea I was just kidding . I wonder if anyone with access to a lab with liquid helium has ever tried it lol.
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks Walt .

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    Yea I was just kidding . I wonder if anyone with access to a lab with liquid helium has ever tried it lol.

It has been done before by IBM, they overclocked a silicone chip to 500GHz .

Xtreme Cruncher

It has been done before by IBM, they overclocked a silicone chip to 500GHz .
    lol thats awesome...maybe if I go to graduate school for engineering in like 10 years I'll do some overclocking

Xtreme Cruncher
    You sure 500GHz? There are silicon/laser hybrid chips that can probably hit a couple hundred GHz but...
    Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - Core i5 2410m, 4gb
    waiting on 28nm video cards...

Admin
    Yeah, it was to 500GHz with liquid helium, showing off SiGe IIRC....

Xtreme Addict
    Here is a link... although it is on plenty of other sites too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5099584.stm

xtreme energy
    By ratio I meant how long on average you can bench a chip with 1kg DI