Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The DDR Maximizer has landed in Canada...thanx to XS and Hipro5!!!

uncore challenged...

Talking The DDR Maximizer has landed in Canada...thanx to XS and Hipro5!!!

The day has finally come where south-western ontario has been graced by the presence of the finest memory overclocking accesory there is on the planet known as earth.

3oh6 presents:
    hipro-tech.com
    DDR maximizer v1.2

I will only be able to provide some photos at this time as I am busier than i can handle right now with work and haven't the time to do some proper benching but you can be sure...this is not the last you will see of the DDR Maximizer from me.

A big thank-you goes out to Hipro5 as well as XtremeSystems for the contest that allowed me to own this fine piece of electronic equipment. Be sure to check back often as I update this thread with some DDRII clocking goodness :thumbsup:

*edit* October 28/06
    So I got ancy and I couldn't just let this beautiful piece of hardware sit here and not even play with it a little bit. I don't have the P5B-Dlx ready for action because I need to unsolder a coil which I can't do until early next week but I can at least hook the Maximizer up and get comfortable with the unit...so I did just that.

All voltages are in DDRII mode
    Lowest possible voltage in dip switch mode...1.66v:

A few dip switches turned on...1.80v:

All dip switches turned on...max voltage in dip switch mode...2.29v~2.30v:

Turning on each dip switch increases voltage .40v (40mv) through the scale that is possible. This makes it quite easy to adjust voltage in small increments, just a flip of a switch. Next, I hit the button and went into trimmer mode.

The lowest voltage in trimmer mode...1.73v:

A few turns of the trimmer easily get us over the 2.30v limit of dip switch mode:

Max voltage in trimmer mode...2.88v~2.89v:

The .01v flicker seen in the photos is completely normal and a result of the IC that the LED display reads from, its manufacturers tolerance is +/- 0.01v. hipro-tech explains this in the manual.

=========================
    October 23/06 Update:

Install on P5B-Dlx:
    I guess I have no patience...this morning I woke up and went straight to work. Upon further investigation, the P5B-Dlx (rev 1.03) is compatible with the Maximizer without the choke removal according to the man himself, Hipro5. If you can't trust the man who designed, and built the unit then who can you trust?

Installation is about as easy as installing a new kit of memory:

Simply hook up the cable to the rear of the Maximizer unit and the cable to the DDRII PCB. Both 4-pin molex cables need to be plugged in to the power supply for power and all that is left is to drop the PCB into the slot like you would a normal DDRII module. Hiro-tech reccomends placing the PCB in-between the two DDRII modules for better power distribution so thats where it goes. You can see above that I have routed the cable from the PCB under the Ultra-120 and around to the I/O panel side of the motherboard. I found this routing to be the "flattest" way to have the PCB installed allowing me to still place fans above the memory modules.

2.45v set in BIOS...a couple quick tests to make sure everything is A-OK:

I obviously tested and setup the Maximizer before installing the unit and I would recommend the same for everyone. Initially I had the vDIMM set in the BIOS at 2.45v and you can see on the Maximizer that the LED closest to the DMM is green indicating that I have the Maximizer in dip switch mode which provides a maximum of only 2.30v, so clearly the system is using the vDIMM supplied by the motherboard.

1.80v set in BIOS:

Now with a red LED closest to the DMM means the Maximizer is in trimmer mode and the voltage reading on both the DMM and Maximizer indicates the vDIMM is now being supplied by the Maximizer...without the choke being removed. It appears that I have confirmed that the P5B-Dlx, at least revision 1.03, is fully compatible with the Maximizer. whether the P5B-Dlx vDIMM components can handle more than 2.45v for extended periods of time is another question. That is why I will be staying a relatively low voltage (2.50v) for now, until I remove the choke.

This is how my setup looks on air:

Despite having the taller Maximizer PCB with the cable in the middle slot, I am still capable of having a couple fans keeping the northbridge and DIMM slots cool. I will run the oard like this for a while but like I said, I won't be going over 2.50v because I absolutely cannot kill this board until another one comes in as a back-up and on monday or tuesday I should have my soldering iron back so the choke will come out and I will start the official testing of my Corsair 8500 C5s.

First Impressions:
    Overall my first impressions of this wonderful unit are obviously positive. The user manual has all the information there but could be revised to make it a little easier to understand. Within 5 minutes, however, of playingwith the PCB not in use; I was able to figure everything out and was jumping between modes like I had the Maximizer all my life. It is quite an easy piece of hardware to both use, and setup.

=========================
    December 24/06 Update:
    I have been using the hipro-tech.com DDR maximizer v1.2 for a full two months now on my P5B-Dlx and it has performed flawlessly. I did not end up modding the board or removing the coil and there are absolutely no ill effects. The only recomendation I have is that the unit does get really warm when sitting on my desk and I have since been using an 80mm fan sitting on top to cool it. It doesn't get to the point where it overheats and does not function properly, but the casing does get warm to the touch. Be sure to have a look at the second post in this thread below for results on what the DDR Maximizer has done for me.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 12-24-2006 at 03:14 PM.

uncore challenged...
    OC'ing Reports "Powered by hipro-tech.com DDR Maximizer":
    OC Report: Team Xtreem 2x1GB PC6400 C3 - December 23/06
    OC Report: Team Xtreem 2x1GB PC6400 C4 - November 18/06
    OC Report: Super Talent 2x1GB PC8000 C4 - January 13/06

Personal Bests "Powered by hipro-tech.com DDR Maximizer":
    will be updated soon enough
    Last edited by 3oh6; 01-23-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Moral Police
    Glad to hear you got the unit at long last took a while but made it there

Enjoy it mate!

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Heh, heh, heh....glad you recieved it....

You must thanks Entity_Razer too who organised the contest as well...

NICE photos you've got there......VERY clear.....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6
    Currently there are mixed opinions on whether it is safe to use the Maximizer on the P5B-Dlx without the coil removal but I need 100% up-time on that board so I can't risk it...I think I can wait a day or two
    i thought P5B DX is one board compatible with maximizer without removing coil ?
    ---

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    Tyrou didn't have any luck with it until he removed the coil but Hipro5 later said that many folks with rev 1.03 boards had no problems without removing the choke...my board is a rev 1.03 so i figured why not?

first post has been updated and the Maximizer appears to be functioning just fine without the choke removal. i will, however, not be putting too much voltage through the system until i remove the choke based on the fact that some P5B-Dlx owners experienced dead boards after volt-modding their vDIMM...better safe than sorry.

YouTube Addict
    Can't wait for the DDR3 PCB
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

"only" 2,8v for ddr2??
    it means to get more than it,need mod??

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by kutujambak
    "only" 2,8v for ddr2??
    it means to get more than it,need mod??
    No........By pressing the internal switch for DDR1 config, you continue from 2.8Volts up to 4.22Volts.......Do you need more?......

Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Can't wait for the DDR3 PCB
    almost ready.....

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    Rev. 1.03 works fine for the time been....at least at 5 - 6 people right now....
    Last edited by hipro5; 10-29-2006 at 01:38 PM.
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

uncore challenged...
    no mods necessary...DDR mode works just fine with the DDR2 PCB

Xtreme Member
    Lol. 4.22v would kill even BH-5s. I don't think he'll be needing any more.

Abit KN8
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @ 2.6GHz
    Thermalright SI-97A w/56 CFM Panaflow
    2GB G.Skill DDR500 GBHZs 0603
    eVGA GeForce 7600GT w/Zalman VF700-CU
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    160GB Western Digital 160GB Hard Drive
    500W XG Vortec Ver. 2 PSU
    NZXT Zero/Logitech MX518, X-530/Saitek Eclipse

CPU soon to be under WATER (this time I mean it)

Planned '07 upgrades: 19" widescreen LCD, mid-range DX10 card

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmm that answered my question too

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardokk
    Lol. 4.22v would kill even BH-5s. I don't think he'll be needing any more.
    i'm sure we'll see hipro try it anyways ahahahahah
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

I am Xtreme
    very nice, from the looks of it you are running in single channel btw.

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23
    very nice, from the looks of it you are running in single channel btw.
    nope, definitely dual channel.

Quote Originally Posted by hipro5
    No........By pressing the internal switch for DDR1 config, you continue from 2.8Volts up to 4.22Volts.......Do you need more?......
    no more hipro...........

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Thanks for the first part of your write up, 3oh6
    Now, put it to work, damn it

Ohhh, looks interesting.

The best part being, that you no longer have to take of the side of the case, to change the Vdimm setting.

Is it only released in Canada, or is it going to be shipped WW?
    Laptop: i5 3230 @ stock, 2x4GB RAM, 240GB SSD (Kingston SSD now), nVidia GT640M + Intel HD4000 GFX.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    anyone try it on badaxe? or p5dw64 ? any dying boards after use ?
    Gigabyte X38T-DQ6/2x1gb xtreme/2x2900xt
    E6850@ 4500
    1000w psu/vapo Ls/2x74gb raptor raid.

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by bachus_anonym
    Now, put it to work, damn it
    haha, i hear ya. i am up soooo up to my ears in work that i have tunnel vision from the amount of harware piled up around me at my workstation. hopefully i can get some time scheduled for a couple days of benching in a week or two. the problem is that i am kind of short-handed RAM wise right now (8500s are flaking out on me) and don't have enough DDRII to go around so the Maximizer sits here looking at me with sad puppy dog eyes begging to be used

if your offering, i can take those pretty Dominators off you BA and i swear, i wouldn't sleep until i had enough benches to make the Maximizer beg for a break

Quote Originally Posted by Steensen
    The best part being, that you no longer have to take of the side of the case, to change the Vdimm setting.
    case? who uses a case

Quote Originally Posted by Steensen
    Is it only released in Canada, or is it going to be shipped WW?
    it hasn't made it to a re-seller in Canada yet but you can hopefully get it from Tank-Guys real soon and they will ship up to us Canucks.

it is available throughout Europe already i think, check out Hipro-Tech.com for your closest re-seller.

Xtreme Member
    I saw DDR3 on the box. Will it be compatible? Is DDR3 that near?

Nice job btw Hipro.

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob-ftw
    I saw DDR3 on the box. Will it be compatible? Is DDR3 that near?

Nice job btw Hipro.
    as soon as DDRIII is being used i am sure Hipro5 and the crew will have a DDRIII PCB ready for action...it will definitely be upgradable with a simple switch of the PCB...its a wonderful piece of hardware that won't soon be obsolete.

Xtreme Member
    But my DDR2 will be obsolete.. lol

YouTube Addict
    one question though, Does the Box come with the DDR and the DDR2 PCBs?
    And the manual gives virtually No details on the DDR/DDR2 switch.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

uncore challenged...
    on TankGuys they have it listed with "DDRII interface" or you can choose "DDRI + DDRII Interface" for an extra $15. mine came with the DDRII PCB as that is what i asked for when i won the contest. i would imagine it is up to the re-seller but Hipro5 or E_Razer might be able to chime in with more specific details.

as for the DDR/DDRII switch, it is a little button behind the faceplate with no direct access to it. you have to reach behind with the included screwdriver to switch between lots of voltage and crazy amounts of voltage (AKA DDR & DDRII mode). the button is in-between the LEDs and the dip switches. the lack of access makes sense as hitting that at the wrong time would likely result in something really dead and smelly

HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast