BBA X1900XTX
    4x512 Corsair 5400UL

----------------------------------------------------
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at
    this distance" (last words of Gen.
    John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864) "

----------------------------------------------------

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great work guys, melantin, crazyXP, this needed to be done, now people know the benefit of this and can make up their own minds about whether they choose to do this.
    Q6600 @ 3.6, cheap water cooling, and crunching 24/7

Xtreme Member
    First of all this is NOT an extreme mod... It is a SIMPLE mod, if you can even call it mod at all. And the results are debatable. They come with a number of compromises and are pretty much useless to anyone except the people who are after a World Record on OC, where the 80 extra Mhz, might make the difference.

Really can't see what extreme or crazy you see there. You have a 40-50% chance of cracking the core of the CPU at hand (assuming you are accepting the rest of the compromises), for what? An extra 80Mhz? Then I leave alone the fact that you loose your waranty. You want to overclock, fair enough, even if that doesn't bother you, how about that the reselling value of your processor hits rock bottom the second you do this?

Seriously, I'm trying hard but I still fail to see the point for the average Joe. And the problem is that 95% of the people who intend to do that, are not even serious overclockers. They just have a concave IHS or are not absolutely happy with their temps and they are obviously not knowledgeable enough to have to ask in a forum about it, so they go.. "mmm, let's lap the IHS.. oh, wait, while we are at it, why don't we remove it altogether?". Most won't even reach half the overclock a serious overclocker could achieve on air. What are the odds, that someone who has to ASK why his temps are high will perform this delicate task sucessfully and not damage his CPU?

As I said before, if you want to do it, by all means, go ahead, don't be too quick to dismiss other people's opinions though, flagging them as "not interesting". Not interesting to you, maybe. If one person who would crack his core has changed his mind after considering the risks involved, and will be spared the trouble and financial load of having to buy a new one, I'm pretty happy with the result.
    Last edited by ewsforos; 09-04-2006 at 09:26 AM.
    Linux is user friendly. It's just very picky about who its friends are. -- Anonymous

ugh... is XS really turning into hardforum?
    E6600 week 25 @ 9x400 dual prime stable 24 hours, Vcore=1.50
    P5WDG2 WS Pro + Scythe Ninja + OCZ DDR2-800 Rev. 1 2x1024

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mds47
    ugh... is XS really turning into hardforum?
    NO, but XS never promoted foolishly destroying good hardware, particularly for such a minimum return…

Xtreme Enthusiast
    LOL. I think to some degree every big site will turn that way. You can't choose your members so....

But anyways for the extreme, or those with a strong water loop and a storm, this will be better. I think that true Coretemp readings will always be high, since those sensors are located at the source of the heat. I'll rely more on my motherboard readings, as that is the reading nearest the surface of the core, which is what we're having the most effect on.

I'll try and get a storm next paycheck and we'll see what i can do.
    Current 24/7 settings
    Delidded L628B e6400@ 3.6ghz 1.38v
    3.9ghz 1.56v dual prime, 4ghz dual 32m pi stable on water and P5B Deluxe
    Patriot 667 LLK @ 970 mhz 4-4-4-4 2.3v
    x1900xt 690/780

Quote Originally Posted by pcdoc1
    NO, but XS never promoted foolishly destroying good hardware, particularly for such a minimum return…
    Jesus, the guy just removed the first c2d IHS ever and people are already chastizing him within 24 hours saying it was too risky and worthless for the effort. Yeah it's challenging and the risk is big, but guess what he pulled it off.

Experimention like this is the reason I come to XS to read the forums. Where else are people going to discuss and try mods like this. It's very cool to see (for better or for worse).
    Last edited by mds47; 09-04-2006 at 09:40 PM.

Sorry to hijack the thread like that. Drank too much coffee this morning.

Any new results menlatin? is the cpu definitely your wall at the moment?

(Btw, start a new thread on this it is a "first ever" after all)

--mds
    Last edited by mds47; 09-04-2006 at 09:46 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    Jesus, the guy just removed the first c2d IHS ever and people are already chastizing him within 24 hours saying it was too risky and worthless for the effort. Yeah it's challenging and the risk is big, but guess what he pulled it off.

Experimention like this is the reason I come to XS to read the forums. Where else are people going to discuss and try mods like this. It's very cool to see (for better or for worse).
    i agree 100%
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry to hijack the thread like that. Drank too much coffee this morning.

Any new results menlatin? is the cpu definitely your wall at the moment?

(Btw, start a new thread on this it is a "first ever" after all)

--mds
    i think the board and temps are my wall right now. I need a storm and an MCP655. I went to fry's and got another ds3 just so i could test this, and i think im going to go back and get something else. Maybe a pb-5 ? or get a refund and wait for Aw9d.

I'm really looking forward to some of th big OCers doing this, and what results they can yeild.

PS. Anyone with a good deal on a storm should PM me
    Last edited by menlatin; 09-04-2006 at 11:36 PM.
    Current 24/7 settings
    x1900xt 690/780

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by menlatin
    I went to fry's and got another ds3 just so i could test this, and i think im going to go back and get something else. Maybe a pb-5 ? or get a refund and wait for Aw9d.
    Dude please do your conroe a favor and go with the p5b. I think its pretty cool someone finally did it. Now we dont have to keep seeing the question posed and the arguing back and forth.

Don't stress on the flamers, i dont really think the majority of us need a disclaimer to understand that the gains are limited and it isnt the most practical mod for most.

Xtreme Addict

Indeed, its the only reason why I come to XS, I'm no experienced or extreme person when it comes to OCing but its interesting to see what others are doing, if they want to do this it is their choice and they're not doing it to your cpu so why worry so much?
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

Xtreme Member
    i wasn't saying that everyone should go out and do this mod...
    it is infact a mod... your modifying the cpu... (lapping voids warantee's, sure it's ALOT less risky than removing the IHS... but it's far from Xtreme) only guys with extra systems, or hardcore overclockers should be doing... it is definetly an extreme measure... and it's not meant for your moms PC... sheesh

and i also think in the right hands, it could yeild a little more than 80mhz... especially with sub zero temps... but throw it in a good mobo, you have the best chance at getting the best results with my method...
    this is one persons results...

I mean it's like the arguement over heatspreaders on memory... it's only a 5-10mhz increase... so their not worth it... a guy like me looks at that as another 5-10mhz... and a faster system

im sure with highly overclockable cpu's like my 631 (which saw 6ghz 32M stable on phase) could yeild possibly higher clocks... and just be more badass

i wouldn't go off making a new thread for it unless you have step by step pictures...
    im gonna get my hands on another cpu, and write a detailed guide on the removal process for the Xtreme members looking to do so...

Enough with talks of it not being worth it... I was DETERMINED to prove that it could be done, since nobody did it (I mean one of the worlds best overclockers wrote an article on it... and killed 2 cpu's attempting it and quit... when i did it like a year ago... (on 478pin Celeron D Prescot Core)
    i just came up with a great removal process with the least risk factor....
    i've done that... now i want the information available for the others who want to attempt it themselves.

If your not going to do it... or you think it's stupid you can just keep your $0.02... We all know it's risky... and stupid... WERE TAKING A TORCH TO +$200 CPU... WHATS NOT STUPID ABOUT THAT!
    I5 760 P55A-UD3
    8GB Corsair
    120SSD - 6TB storage
    Gigabyte GTS-450

I5 2450M Acer Laptop HM65
    8GB A-Data
    120GB SSD - 500GB in optical drive
    Intel HD GT2+ 3GB shared

Xtreme Member
    Heh, as I said it is not my money anyone will waste, and I emphasised on that several times. Again, as I said, I only mentioned these things for the people who DON'T know, and ARE NOT AWARE of the risks involved.

You know, registering on a forum doesn't automatically make your IQ to rise 50 points. If everybody had the knowledge and common sense you take for granted we wouldn't have operating instruction and warning stickers on the bloody lighters, neither lawsuits of someone burning his mouth on steaming hot coffee because the plastic cup didn't have a "WARNING, HOT " sign painted on its side.

I mean don't go far... look at the original post on this thread:

"I was wondering how many people have removed their IHS... I just saw coolalar had his removed... and he's my idol."

1) Inaccurate information, not true to begin with
    2) Want to do it, because my "idol" did it. (who has a bucketload more experience and know-how)

Do you honestly think I don't have anything better to do than write "disclaimers" as someone mentioned? I just saw the need for one.

Again, 95% of the people who will read this, wouldn't know the risks involved. The 5% who knows DOESN'T need to comment on that. I KNOW that you know, this is for the rest of the people who don't

So stop assuming please

PS: I'm into extreme stuff as much (if not more) as anyone here, and definately not trying to make this [H].

Hope that cleared things up a bit. Thanks
    Linux is user friendly. It's just very picky about who its friends are. -- Anonymous

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewsforos
    I mean don't go far... look at the original post on this thread:

"I was wondering how many people have removed their IHS... I just saw coolalar had his removed... and he's my idol."

1) Inaccurate information, not true to begin with
    2) Want to do it, because my "idol" did it. (who has a bucketload more experience and know-how)
    That's the ticket. Flame people for asking questions

I saw one of his threads in which an IHS was not present and I got confused and assumed it was a conroe. I wanted to do it to improve my results, not because my "idol" did it. I wanted to know if it was common and/or easy because I had seen little discussion on it before this thread. Now quit dumping on this thread.
    Last edited by dr_sharp; 09-05-2006 at 02:59 AM.
    | Intel 2500K @ 5GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P67 Sabertooth | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 @ 2133 MHz | Crucial M4 256GB | Asus GTX 770 OC | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W | Qnix QX2710

History: AXP-2400M, AXP-2500M, Core2 E6600 - all minimum 50% overclock

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_sharp
    That's the ticket. Flame people for asking questions

I saw one of his threads in which an IHS was not present and I got confused and assumed it was a conroe. I wanted to do it to improve my results, not because my "idol" did it. I wanted to know if it was common and/or easy because I had seen little discussion on it before this thread. Now quit dumping on this thread.
    No m8, you totally misinterpreted what I said... And I apologise for not making that clear.

I didn't flame anyone and surely, by no means, none of this was directed to you, I just used your case as an example of how people can get into things without knowing the risks involved. For what's worth I'm pretty sure you are quite smart, cause asking is the way to learn that stuff . All I meant was that there are people who might try to mimic their idols (well, in every aspect of life, not only overclocking) without knowing the risks involved. Just that.

Asking questions is a very good thing as a matter of fact, since noone was ever born knowing something intimately.

To quote another Greek, "All I know is I know nothing".

I just wanted to make sure that people who are not yet profficient enough/knowledgeable enough would have all the facts so that they can make an educated decision.

Again, I honestly apologise for the misunderstanding, and it is totally my fault. I respect your wishes and will not continue posting on this thread.

Xtreme Member
    No m8, you totally misinterpreted what I said... And I apologise for not making that clear.

I didn't flame anyone and surely, by no means, none of this was directed to you, I just used your case as an example of how people can get into things without knowing the risks involved. For what's worth I'm pretty sure you are quite smart, cause asking is the way to learn that stuff . All I meant was that there are people who might try to mimic their idols (well, in every aspect of life, not only overclocking) without knowing the risks involved. Just that.

Asking questions is a very good thing as a matter of fact, since noone was ever born knowing something intimately.

I just wanted to make sure that people who are not yet profficient enough/knowledgeable enough would have all the facts so that they can make an educated decision.

Again, I honestly apologise for the misunderstanding, and it is totally my fault. I respect your wishes and will not continue posting on this thread.
    Ah, I see. I aplogize for jumping at you. I agree, there are probably many people without the knowledge/experience to do certain things but I believe that most of the people here are fully capable of doing what is described here. This forums members tend to be among the most experienced around.
    | Intel 2500K @ 5GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P67 Sabertooth | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 @ 2133 MHz | Crucial M4 256GB | Asus GTX 770 OC | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W | Qnix QX2710

History: AXP-2400M, AXP-2500M, Core2 E6600 - all minimum 50% overclock

Xtreme Member
    Excellent work menlatin, and crazyxp1700. This is indeed Xtreme. I look forward to your results menlatin and to your detailed guide crazyxp1700. The option to remove the ihs on core 2 now exist thanks to you guys. Now we can make up our own minds whether or not it is worth it, it is after all, individual preference.
    E8400 @ 3.84Ghz 1.25v LOAD
    ABIT IP35 PRO
    4 GB G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    EVGA 8800 ULTRA 660/1110
    PC POWER & COOLING 750 QUAD
    THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME
    2 X SEAGATE BARRACUDA ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB RAID 0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    storm, mcp 655 and second mcr-220 is on the way. Hopefully will be here by the weekend. I'm also going to pickup my aluminum ln2 tube tommorow as well. I'll try and test that Thursday or Friday at work. This is going to be awesome... And i'm taking the ds3 back and getting a P5b-deluxe tommorow.
    Current 24/7 settings
    x1900xt 690/780

Xtreme Member
    Awesome Menlatin...

keep us all well informed! im glad someone finally kept one running!
    i should have mine in a few days... but i might get another highly overclockable 631 to play with... and make it scream!
    I5 760 P55A-UD3
    8GB Corsair
    120SSD - 6TB storage
    Gigabyte GTS-450

I5 2450M Acer Laptop HM65
    8GB A-Data
    120GB SSD - 500GB in optical drive
    Intel HD GT2+ 3GB shared

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey guys. It seems things have not gone as planned. My p5b is a total whore, and i can't OC it at all at this point. But, i did get my storm, mcr-220 and mcp 655. I've seen an idle temp drop of about 3c, and a load of about 4-5c compared to the apogee and mcp 350, and mcr-220.

I'm going to try and work on the p5b-d today after work, but i'm getting realy frustrated with it, and if this doesn't work, its refund time, and i'll just wiat around tl ewiz ships me back my ds3. I've got school to worry about, and need to cut back on the returnless tweaking and all the frustrations of this board.

I'll post more results as when / if this board stops sucking.
    Current 24/7 settings
    x1900xt 690/780

I am Xtreme
    wow that core is pretty darn large.

Xtreme Member

i think ppl know the risk from ihs removal, please stop bringing this thread down with your own views and just let it go

everybody has a *real* mother ...i don't think they need another when they're on XS

well done menlatin and crazyxp ....pioneering is important

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mouawad
    i think ppl know the risk from ihs removal, please stop bringing this thread down with your own views and just let it go

everybody has a *real* mother ...i don't think they need another when they're on XS

well done menlatin and crazyxp ....pioneering is important
    Your post was completely uncalled for.
    The guy posted an apology and the other poster also apologized and then you jump over him? Give me a break....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne
    Your post was completely uncalled for.
    The guy posted an apology and the other poster also apologized and then you jump over him? Give me a break....
    The guy kept going on and on about how its dangerous and dont do it or noobs will think its cool and start doing it. One post to this effect is somewhat understandable but post after post?

So while maybe uncalled for i can see where hes coming from - I think at XS you should assume people have a certain level of capability or at least that they have an idea of their capability. If they go and screw up its on them. This isnt hand-holders-r-us.

Furthermore, he also stated this isnt an extreme mod, but if its not extreme, then why is he warning people? This is obviously for people who want to go the extra step that may kill their hardware for an extra 100mhz. If thats not extreme i dont know what is.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast