Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Official XS Power Supply Ranking Phase I

Hybrid View

Xtreme Member
    Ahhh, ok.

The cool thing was knowing the makers of psu, b4 getting rebranded, and a general guideline of top power co's.

Live Long And Overclock
    Corsair HX Added to Tier 1.

Perkam

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd say wherever seasonic is supposed to go so tier 2.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Tier 1.5?

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    Tier 1.5?
    I know i know...every time i look at the guide, the need for Tier 1.5 becomes apparent.

Perkam

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    I know i know...every time i look at the guide, the need for Tier 1.5 becomes apparent.

Perkam
    haha perkam we agree

Xtreme Addict
    Mushkin in Tier One Brand? Check this and think about it. Quote's from SPCR review:

"EFFICIENCY was poor for a high end power supply. At 50% load (325W) it reached just 74.7%..."

"The noise emitted by the unit upon turn on at any load was 35~36 dBA@1m. This is unacceptably loud by SPCR standards, and it would be plainly audible in most enviroments, be it home or office. The quality of the noise was not pleasant, either, but at this high a level, it's a moot point..."

Mushkin should have think twice when putting this psu on the market. Meaning it's utter crap.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Live Long And Overclock
    The only reason the mushkin would be in Tier 2 would be the herrendous price. Cheapest its available is $180...and you can buy Silverstone 750W Quad Rail with 900W Max output for $173 at Directron.

After that, the PCP&C 750W with 60+A on single 12v rail is $199. Frankly there's actually no power supply worth buying over that unless its a zippy/emac.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam
    The only reason the mushkin would be in Tier 2 would be the herrendous price. Cheapest its available is $180...and you can buy Silverstone 750W Quad Rail with 900W Max output for $173 at Directron.

After that, the PCP&C 750W with 60+A on single 12v rail is $199. Frankly there's actually no power supply worth buying over that unless its a zippy/emac.

Perkam
    That didn't really answer to my question Could you point out some good things in Mushkin psu' other than they look ok, are modular? I think Antec Neo HE psu's should be in tier one cos they are very silent and have great effiency and are modular, also price is very competitive. Only minus is that 550w is max wattage but that can pretty much power anything.
    [i5 2500K, ASrock extreme3 gen3, Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB 1600MHz, Palit GTX570 Sonic Platinum, CM HAF932, Antec Truepower New 650w]

Xtreme PSU Tester
    I wouldn't say the Neo HE is tier one, but I do agree that the Neo HE should be ABOVE Mushkin for the reasons specified. The only good thing about the Mushkin XP series is that it's modular and has a lot of power.

The Mushkin HP series should be on the lowest tier. It's udder crap.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    neoHE should be in 1.5 I think.

Would a list of oem's in order be easier than tiers? It'd be more accurate that way. Or a list of best to worst and then seperate those into tiers?

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis1452
    neoHE should be in 1.5 I think.
    LOL!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU
    LOL!
    what? With antec moving to seasonic, seasonic would be around 1.5 so the neoHE should be around there. Maybe tier 2 if you say so. However you could atleast explain.

I really hate people who leave with one word posts. If you think I'm stupid for saying it then fricking explain. Otherwise it's quite useless.

I would also like to comment on your grading system. I'm in a better mood and can think lol.

The NeoHE if you add it up got a 8.05
    The ST56ZF got a 7.91

my main complaint are that you don't exactly have a rubric. You list the factors that affect performance. However you should also create a point spread and rubric for each one for best accuracy. Lets say out of the 10 points you can give in performance 1 goes to active pfc. 2 goes to efficiency. 3 goes to how much the rails may drop. 2 to the o-scope. 2 more to however you like. or something of this nature. Then you can create a rubric that say goes it gets .5 subtracted from the o-scope if the rails fluctuate more than X or however you determine it. You should do this for all of your main grading points. It may take time to create but once created you can create a more accurate picture along with a more objective grading system.

Personally since you mentioned objectivity you should let the results speak for themselves. The whole grading section should be left out of the review and a seperate section be devoted to what you think of the psu's.
    Last edited by Praxis1452; 08-10-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Xtreme Member
    shuttle doesn't deserve to be that low shuttle makes very good psu's for the size they are give them some sort of respect.

Many thanks for the great list of psu's. I'd be clueless in deciding for a psu for my new system, otherwise. Also, people won't be making a mistake like me in the future by buying an Ultra X-Connect ... Are they really that bad? lol

Edit: Nevermind, I just found this post. XS is simply awesome.
    Last edited by nyinge; 08-10-2006 at 04:05 AM.

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Whoa.. cool the jets.

The LOL was for the "1.5" comment. There is no 1.5. That was my idea because I think the numbers need to be shuffled around. So I thought it was funny that you agree with me and that there should be a "1.5."

Has nothing to do with Antec, Seasonic or anything else.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    okok I mistook it sry... lol

usually I don't agree with perkam

Xtreme Addict
    usually I don't agree with perkam
    That was good for my morning laugh.

Plz add Cooltek a.k.a MiST to the list... http://www.sweclockers.com/articles_...id=570&page=10 here is a test from one of Swedens most respected hardwaresites, if U dont know Swedish just look @ the pictures

I think it should be in tier 2 or 3, decide yourself...

BTW: They only sell them in the Nordic countries and in Germany

Xtreme PSU Tester
    The factors that make up the performance score actually each have their own weight within the performance score. I just don't publish the details because I don't want people focusing on the score. I personally hate the score. I added the "summary" to the newer reviews because it seemed like people went straight to the score.

Also, like I've already explained to you, the weights of the scoring changed as the testing methodology changes. You give an example of the NeoHE and the ST56ZF, but the NeoHE was reviewed before I had the hot box, scored for the hot box, the O-scope could be "captured", o-scope readings weighed in, etc.

What I could do is just delete all of the reviews I did before I updated the testing methodology? Maybe I should delete all of my old reviews every time I change the testing methodology. Maybe I should just not do power supply reviews because it's not like I get paid to do them. I do them for fun. But when people second guess every word that comes out of my mouth, it's not so much fun anymore. Know what I mean?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually I like the summaries... they do provide a more in depth analysis than a point system will. But the only reason I mentioned it was because you said I wasn't objective about the score. I'm a nihilist for many reasons so it's the only reason I came back to the topic. Now I don't mean that you delete your reviews.. I certainly wouldn't want that.

Personally it's your site and you can do with it whatever you like. I like the fact that you review psu's more in depth that anyone around. But that was a reason I mentioned the score. I only meant it as honest criticism. I wasn't trying to "dog" on you or anything. I just think you can always improve heh.

If you like the summaries why not just write conclusions instead of points? jw

Xtreme PSU Tester
    Scores have been removed from all "older" reviews.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    wow... someone listened to me.... :O

Xtreme PSU Tester
    wow... someone listened to me.... :O
    Yeah. It's a valid point.

For the record, the last blog post isn't directed towards you at all. A couple other members here, but not you. And some members elsewhere. People are just ass clowns.

The final straw was eldonko questioning the Mushkin review. Said it wasn't a "fair comparison" to put a 28A load on a single 12V rail on the PSU.

Umm... I said in the review that I did it to test the Rail Fusion and that the drop in voltage shouldn't be a concern because most of the drop was from the resistance created by the additional load.

Makes my point all over again. You have to spoon feed information to people in little bite size piece. You make something too easy to understand and they take it the wrong way.

Live Long And Overclock
    Phase III is now in effect.

Please do not focus on how big Tier 3 has gotten.

The most help i need is which PSUs you believe belong in Tier 1 and Tier 2 from Tier 1 and Tier 2...and if any from Tier 3 belong in the same company as the PSUs in Tier 2.

Perkam

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast