Thread: Will Swiftech MCX159-P fit on Asus P5W-DH?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Will Swiftech MCX159-P fit on Asus P5W-DH?

I've got this on my current Abit IC7-MAX3 (Socket 478) motherboard:

I've been looking at alternative methods for cooling the NB on this board, since I will be going phase change and most likely vmodding the board for extra vMCH voltage. What I wanted to know was - before I shell out more money for the current Swiftech MCX159-CU chipset heatsink - will this one fit?

They look identical, and I should still be using the 4 hooks unless the distance has radically changed between boards....

There are only two hooks on the P5W DH, not four. They didn't bother to put the other two hooks in. I believe it will fit but I'm not sure how well it will be held on, but I think you'll be okay. Worst case scenario is that you could probably use the clip that is currently on the NB to hold your block down as it does fit. I'm also looking to cool my NB, but with water. I'll be modding my block to ensure it doesn't lift up due to the tubing.

Xtreme Member
    It will fit using the clip on the northbridge cooler that comes installed the P5WDH. That's what I'm currently using and seems to hold on securely.

Xtreme Member
    I'd suggest thermalright hr-05 with fan...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by vmsein
    It will fit using the clip on the northbridge cooler that comes installed the P5WDH. That's what I'm currently using and seems to hold on securely.
    Thanks.

Do you think it's worth me going for the all-copper MCX159-CU? I've just noticed that my one has aluminium pins... not sure how much of a real-world difference that's going to make?