Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

Thread: My Core 2 Duo X6800 RETAIL has arrived in my hands!!

Xtreme Mentor
    Whatever the problem is, it is distressing. If the celeron boots in the asus, I'll reflash the asus to a different bios and see if that helps recocgnize the 6800, but it is still unclear to me where the bios rev cutoff is for recognizing the 6800. I only tried 502 (no go) and 701 (yes).
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

I am Xtreme
    have you guys contacted asus for RMA's

you need to
    make them aware of the issue and potentially larger issue.
    its bad enough there IS an issue with DOA boards. now they are dieing out in the field ?
    let them know get an rma,,,
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    That sucks xgman - I had the situation when I clocked mine too high and ran prime95 2x and it froze. When I powered it off, it wouldn't turn back on again. I had to go into maintenance mode to do anything, and I had to remove the battery to get my voltage settings to work. The 975x appears to be a huge hassle compared to other chipsets =/

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by redpriest
    That sucks xgman - I had the situation when I clocked mine too high and ran prime95 2x and it froze. When I powered it off, it wouldn't turn back on again. I had to go into maintenance mode to do anything, and I had to remove the battery to get my voltage settings to work. The 975x appears to be a huge hassle compared to other chipsets =/

I only wish the asus had any sort of maintenance or rescue mode to get a post. I hold out some small hope that it actually is the board and not the cpu. At least I can get another board. Intel says weeks to replace any cd2's.

By the way, why on earth would asus place the battery under the vid card so that you have to remove the cid card entirely before each reset? Sheesh!..
    Last edited by xgman; 07-14-2006 at 08:53 AM.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat
    have you guys contacted asus for RMA's

you need to
    make them aware of the issue and potentially larger issue.
    its bad enough there IS an issue with DOA boards. now they are dieing out in the field ?
    let them know get an rma,,,
    First thing I did naturally. They told me earlier this week that they could cross ship. Then a couple of days later I was told that it was too new and they didn't have any. So I could send it in for a "repair"...which I don't trust at all, I want a new board. So I'm doing it through the retailer now.

Xtreme Mentor
    Ok, I think I figured ou the trouble with the asus board and probably the reports of high temps.

The good news is the 6800 lives. After removing and replacing everything on the board and working with asus tech to figure out the beep codes (since the celeron didn't post either except for some beep codes), I took off the block and noticed there are some mounting issues aggrevated by some very close caps etc that rise above the level of the cpu. Also is your sink/block is hitting any of the caps or voltage regulators that putting pressure on those black square IC's can cause problems. In addition even with a spreader on, the Intel mounting clip is suspect in causing the heatsink (of any type) to rock slightly while tightening. The flatness and stability of the AMD64 socket make it far easier to get a flat and unobstructed mount. In any case, by some twisting and turning and trial and error mounting I was able to get the celeron and then the 6800 to post.

Admin
    Thanks for tip, perhaps there is yet hope for me.

Come to think of it, my Tuniq Tower (used for all of my air testing) has trouble playing nicely with the caps. It either ends up on top of them or pushing them a little bit outward. More messing around to do for sure in that case.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I was very careful when I mounted my heatsink, the raised caps on the top end of the mobo could have hindered my setup, but I made very sure I had good clearance on it.

When you say you were able to get it to POST, are you able to get into an OS stably?

Xtreme Mentor
    Yeah, I was very careful when I mounted my heatsink, the raised caps on the top end of the mobo could have hindered my setup, but I made very sure I had good clearance on it.

When you say you were able to get it to POST, are you able to get into an OS stably?

I haven't even messed around with the ops sys yet. I'm so pissed that apparently my Storm G5 does not make good enough contact even though it appears to visually it doesn't. Barely touches. That creates a dilema for me. The G5 is the best you can get. Now I have to compromise for something less effective, not even sure what will fit. That socket is very touchy. In fact another problem I have is a internal socket pin is bent out of shape. That may have been part of the problem before.

With the stock sink and at stock speed/vcore in bios the temp was like 31. With the same stock sink at 3300 and 1.48vcore the bios temp was like 45. In any case I'm kind of stuck till I get a replacement board and ?>?? block. Ahh, the good ole 939 days. Miss them already. I'll wait for the new board and block before I do much more.

Memory Addict

yeah on badaxe there's only way orientation you can go for swiftech g4 storm waterblock

---

Xtreme Member
    I installed water cooling on my retail conroe (ThermalTake symphony mini tower). I am at 3.733 ghz at 1.55v. CoreTemp reports 85C (lol), but there is no way it is that hot. The waterblock isn't even that warm.

Things appear to be stable after 22min of priming...

Xtreme Mentor
    Overclock or not, I still not convinced that these blocks are making good contact for whatever reason with such high temps.

Xtreme Member
    I installed water cooling on my retail conroe (ThermalTake symphony mini tower). I am at 3.733 ghz at 1.55v. CoreTemp reports 85C (lol), but there is no way it is that hot. The waterblock isn't even that warm.

Things appear to be stable after 22min of priming...

You should never support TT water cooling. Their quality is sub par and high-end air cooling could probably match that.

XIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BWR

You should never support TT water cooling. Their quality is sub par and high-end air cooling could probably match that.
    Its ok to water cool 975 NB chip with the right NB block.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xgman
    Overclock or not, I still not convinced that these blocks are making good contact for whatever reason with such high temps.
    I can't fathom it either, either these things put out a monstrous amount of heat at those clock speeds and voltages, or I've got the waterblock mounted wrong. I had to disassemble the TT cooling tower because one of the fans didn't work.

I've tried various degrees of pressure, various greases, various methods of cooling. Water cooling gets me 3.733, where as air didn't.

I had to up voltage slightly (1.56~) for stability - prime95 at 46min and counting. Wonder with temps of 83C-85C am I going to see premature death? =P

TT take apart?

Quote Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
    ... I had to disassemble the TT cooling tower because one of the fans didn't work.
    =P
    I've been trying to figure out how to get a TT symphony tower apart to fix a fan. How did you do it? I thought the screens were just press in but they seem fastened somehow

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415