Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My Core 2 Duo X6800 RETAIL has arrived in my hands!!

Xtreme Member
    Well, I'm not sure - I haven't been able to verify now if my voltage is sticking. My motherboard is acting a little weird, let's just say -

1333 fsb doesn't stick (processor ignores it)
    multiplier changes occur but voltage changes are ignored (!)

How do I fix this?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by theteamaqua
    so are ES >>>> B2, retail in overclocking ability??
    I would hold back before saying that, never make a general statement based on 1 result.
    Intel Rig
    2500K @ 4.8 Ghz 1.304v | ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3| 2x4Gb Ripjaws DDR3-2133 | Radeon 7970 @ 1250/1800 | Corsair HX850 PSU
    Custom Water of course

Memory Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by redpriest
    Well, I'm not sure - I haven't been able to verify now if my voltage is sticking. My motherboard is acting a little weird, let's just say -

1333 fsb doesn't stick (processor ignores it)
    multiplier changes occur but voltage changes are ignored (!)

How do I fix this?
    have you shorted the oc debug pin ? i know X6800 are meant to unlock it all on badaxe but maybe you might need to short the pin anyway ?

i haven't shorted mine yet i just use custom 1304 bioses on my badaxe some at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=57 if ya game
    ---

Xtreme Member
    I ran out and bought a conductive pen. It didn't work.

Yep Eva, I got the idea after looking at one of your posts before xtremesystems went down to try using the Intel Framework again.

For some reason after rebooting and using it, it *really* unlocked my motherboard. I was able to set voltages/clock speed/bus at will. Before, I could only change the multiplier. Things are much better now!

I am rock solid stable at 3.466ghz at 1.35v, probably less, but I just picked this one for kicks.

I can now boot successfully into Windows at 3.733 ghz, but I need 1.45v to do it, 1.4 will quit out before I get in. I can run 2 instances of prime95 at 1.5-1.55v for about a minute before it reboots. Power consumption is *enormous* at 1.55v at 3.733 - I was seeing temps of about 85C under load (lol), before spontaneous reboot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Member
    3dmark06 at 3.466 ghz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Memory Addict
    awesome... so you used one of my custom bioses and after conductive pen mod and reboot it all unlocked ? weird

nice see ya using APC Powerchute too.. same here with APC RS 1500VA UPS
    ---

Xtreme Member
    I tried using the conductive pen, but that didn't change anything - I could already get into the protected BIOS. I wanted to see if that would make my changes "stick". It didn't. I used your method of creating custom BIOSes, and after I did that it worked.

I have an XS 1500 and a XS 800 =) I have my conroe box hooked up to the XS 800 and my Prometia Mach II GT cooled A64 X2 2.8 ghz on the XS 1500.

Memory Addict
    ah i see.. yup ITK is a very nice tool to customise the bios
    ---

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When you overclock your FSB what are your northbridge temps like? Can you get some air on it?

Xtreme Member
    Weird sh*t on the temps. I thought CoreTemp was actually rather accurate. You really should hook up that prommie and get the readings from there
    "The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an oncoming train" (Murphy)

Reviewing for Madshrimps

Xtreme Addict
    soo.... heat is holding you back? Because that chip should be well on it's way to 4GHz stable with 3466 stable @ stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmn_link (Gamespot)
    Am I being watched by a hacker?

I just went to change my display picture for my Windows account and saw and account that i have never created before. The account name is ASP.NET Machine A...'s .

xtreme energy
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000
    it could be just your cpu core that's hot.. i've tested 4x E6600 QPGE B1 on badaxe rev304 unmodded, 2 of the cpus are consistently 3-6C hotter idle and at load in bios and windows (via coretemp app) compared to the other 2

I compared using SS and it temps were at least 10-15C higher considering conroe's TDP

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _JP_
    From what i know...Bad Axe reports, at least, +10º...
    Quote Originally Posted by cupholder2.0
    Yeah, I hate how intel mobos have readings so off. 15-20.
    That's just b-sh*t. Bad Axe reads temperature exactly.

With watercooling (water temperature @ 21°C) on a Bad Axe Rev 304 with latest bios, this is

X6800 idle

and this is

X6800 load (2x Prime)

Don't try to tell me that Bad Axe reads out wrong. If it would read 10-20°C off than my real temp would be around 0°C ... that would be just stupid with ~20°C water temperature.

So just for the records: if Bad Axe reads out high, your temperature IS high.

Just do not forget it is the real internal die temperature, no off-die crap. Conroe basically gets hot (high efficiency and little die size) and air-cooling is not a proper cooling for overclocking.

Not to disagree with you there, but it's 20C in my house. If I leave my computer off all day and turn it on, Bad Axe is reporting my processor temp is 52C and my system temp is 37C before I even get into BIOS. This is with an undervolted 805 with a XP-120. I feel that reading is at least 10C high.

Xtreme Member
    What is the max multiplier you can get with the X6800? Sorry if this has been mentioned bu I didn't read all the posts in the thread.
    Core i7 4790K // CM Hyper 212+ // Asus Z97-Pro (BIOS v.1304) // GTX 780 DCII
    Corsair XMS3 2x8GB // Intel 335 SSD (240GB) // Corsair HX650W // Lian Li PC-A10

xtreme energy
    xmartin:

Core temp beta and bad axe bios or say Everest should show you different results

Xtreme Member
    "The high performance, raw processing power and low power consumption will deliver a lot of value for consumers," said Liem Nguyen, a spokesman for Dell.

"We've been working closely with Intel on testing and development, and we saw a 40 percent performance gain and almost the equivalent for improved power consumption," compared to the previous generation, he said.
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,126403,00.asp

Most credible source for the date besides Intel imho.
    Rig 1: E6400 @ 3.0Ghz // ASUS P5B-DLX // G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-4 // Western Digital and Seagate Drives = 1.5TB HDD // eVGA 9600GT KO
    Rig 2: FX-55 @ Stock // MSI nForce 4 Platinum // Mushkin 1GB DDR 400 @ 2.5-3-3 // Western Digital Caviar 160GB // Sapphire X1950PRO

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumo
    Freez that nice cpu and it will transform to 4.5Ghz monster ...Probly more
    we hope so dumo...
    Asus P5-E X38 Intel QX9650 INOO3D 9800 Gx2 4x Super Talent's T800UX2GC4
    Creative X-Fi Raid 0 Raptors 36Gb data 1Tb Seasonic M12 700w
    Dell 2407WFP Lian-Li Pc-65 mod Custom Built Phase Change Unit |Logitech G25|

RIG#2: DFI LANPARTY LT X48-T2R|Q9550| INOO3D 9800GTX|
    2xCellshok 1000| PC Power and cooling 750w Thermaltake v1
    Wife: DFI LANPARTY UT P35-T2R|Q930|BFG 8800GTS 512MB|
    Samsung ddrII 667| PC Power and cooling 610eps12v Thermaltake v1

Htpc:Dfi Sli-Dr Venus|3700+|2x1gb Team Group ddr500|Thermaltake Mozart TX

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by theteamaqua
    so are ES >>>> B2, retail in overclocking ability??

You can't judge the retail stepping from one or two pieces.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

I am Xtreme
    im sorry but unless the conroe has a built in heat sensor those are not ondie temps.
    and ,, i dont know.. does it ?

for years boards have read temps way wrong, i dont know of intels history becuase of their lack of overclocking in the past.

when in doubt mount a probe and see what happens....

but i do doubt they are 10-20c off thats just crazy.

and if you guys are using the stock cooler then YES you can be guarenteed that your temps are wAY high... that cooler sucks hairy you know what..

get yourself a decent air cooler. you cant do anything with that intel cooler and intel needs to get off their collective butts and start giving use a decent heatpipe cooler like amd
    for those on water if your temps seem right then ok..
    also check to make sure your heatsink is contacting the cpu IHS properly.

you cant use math to calculate heat simply because there are too many other variables involved, mainly is the dissipation of the heatsink and if it has proper contact. how fast the fan is moving, is it aluminum or copper, how thick are the fins,, you can calculate heatoutput of the cpu using the raw wattages but again too many variables make that calculation unreliable.

a probe isnt ondie, its on IHS but that is still going to yield a pretty close temp.

someone needs to try and see if the mobo temps are reading incredibly different or only slightly, if its slightly then you can probably assume that the temps are correct since the probe is a ways away from the die, and only testing the edge of the ihs.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Just tried temp reading.

Remember that this is with an 805 not Conroe yet.

Temp reading taken from the side if the IHS which is covered by the base of my Si-120... the base is stopping any air from the fan reaching the probe.

results:

Idle: temp probe 35c AI-Booster temp reading on CPU35c - 37c
    Full load temp probe 37c - 38c AI-Booster temp reading on CPU 41c - 43c

This is just one set of results, but it seems to show that the IHS heat gets disipated by the HS ok. I therefore deduce that the motherboard reads the temp from the underside and maybe that does not disipate so well.

Intel chips still have a void and collection of IC's under the centre of the core. AMD dont now. P4's certainly read thier temps from either on board diodes or from this void area. I think heat is building up there and struggling to escape. This may be a failing of the 775 socket?

Evil Kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat
    im sorry but unless the conroe has a built in heat sensor those are not ondie temps.
    They are indeed on die temp sensors built into the core.

The question is whether or not the the sensor chip is reading them right, or the software is reading the sensor chip right. Either way, the reported temps originate from on die sensors.
    9900k @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB (8 x 4) Gskill @4000
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    OS & Apps: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Games: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
    Storage: Crucial M500 2TB
    Seasonic Platinum 1000W
    Phanteks Evolv X

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by mdzcpa
    They are indeed on die temp sensors built into the core.

The question is whether or not the the sensor chip is reading them right, or the software is reading the sensor chip right. Either way, the reported temps originate from on die sensors.
    Thanks for posting that. Have we already forgotten ABit IC7-G?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27
    Thanks for posting that. Have we already forgotten ABit IC7-G?

true true
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

I too have a Pentium D 805 as I wait for a Conroe, and I am using the same motherboard as you - P5W DH Deluxe, and with the 0520 bios my idle temp in bios was 75C! Surely something must have been wrong, since the CPU was watercooled (Swiftech Storm - perfect contact).

-k0nsl

Quote Originally Posted by simonmaltby
    Just tried temp reading.

Remember that this is with an 805 not Conroe yet.

Temp reading taken from the side if the IHS which is covered by the base of my Si-120... the base is stopping any air from the fan reaching the probe.

results:

Idle: temp probe 35c AI-Booster temp reading on CPU35c - 37c
    Full load temp probe 37c - 38c AI-Booster temp reading on CPU 41c - 43c

This is just one set of results, but it seems to show that the IHS heat gets disipated by the HS ok. I therefore deduce that the motherboard reads the temp from the underside and maybe that does not disipate so well.

Intel chips still have a void and collection of IC's under the centre of the core. AMD dont now. P4's certainly read thier temps from either on board diodes or from this void area. I think heat is building up there and struggling to escape. This may be a failing of the 775 socket?

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're smiling and everyone around you is crying.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast