Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with vdimm & vcore mods for ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe, please.

symphy
    I just soldered a wire to the point the coil goes through the PCB. Just wanted to tell this in addition, but i think you thought of it already too .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Check vcore on opposite leg of coil.
    Born to overclock

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Tried it, but no way.. Anyhow, i already sold the board long time ago.
    PC : Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 + Intel Core i5 i2500k + 2 x Asus HD6870 DirectCU + 2x2GB PC12800 G.Skill Eco 7-8-7-24 + Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe + Scythe Mugen 3.
    Digicam : Pentax *istDL2 + Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL + Cosina F3.5/100mm Makro.
    Heimkino : Samsung LE-46B450 FullHD + Arion AF-4000HDCI + Onkyo TX-SR505E + Quadral Quintas 5.0 + Heco Victa 25A.

Could someone help me with my Asus M2N E Sli? Sry for my english but im from Germany.

Cant´no one help me with my Board? Do you need Screens?
    Last edited by armym3; 04-06-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Canīt no one help me with my Board? I will overclock my CPu but that isnt possible because the vcore only gies to 1,3V.
    From Germany

Xtreme Member
    This weekend I get to jump into an M2N32-Sli Deluxe motherboard with a Phenom II 955BE. I'm benching under DICE so cooling is not an issue. However I have been reading this thread and I have to admit I am a little lost.

Vcore & Vdimm - The Vcore mod & Vdimm mod seen here are the 2 measuring points to see the current voltages. If I connect my multimeter to those and a ground on the motherboard I can see a current view of voltages I am getting correct.

So once I see the current voltages I start the mod.
    Vcore mod-
    I connect a wire to a 50k VR then take another wire to a ground.

Vdimm mod-
    I connect a wire to a 20k VR then take another wire to a ground.

Did I understand all of this correctly? I'm new to the vmod world so bare with me!

regards

edit: I am speaking about an m2n32-sli deluxe, didn't notice the M2N lol. Is there a difference? If so... does anyone have a link that could get me on my way.

--found these, they may help! here , here
    Last edited by Sil3ntSnip3a; 02-08-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't understand you very well, i'll make the story short:

- You have 2 measure points, as you said, one multimeter wire(red one for positive voltages) to that point, another to ground. These measuring points aren't the ones where you have to solder the VR.

- Otherwise, there are two resistances ( maybe more ) which are related to the voltage control ( i assume the pointed resistance in the pic is for vcore mod ), the vmod points usually refer to the spot where you have to solder one wire end, then the VR and then to ground.

Again, i'm not sure about how you understood the vmod, but you have to do the mod with the power off, set the VR to the maximum value, and then, with the power on, and while you are looking at the voltages, turn the VR down, it may take a bit for the voltage to change, be careful.

I hope it helps, it sound a bit obvious to me but I don't really understand which are your questions.
    Asus P5K Premium//Intel E6600@3,6ghz//Corsair PC6400C3@500 4-4-4-12 2,2v//8800GTS G92//Audigy 2 ZS//SeaSonic M12 700W & LianLi V2000B

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ^don.k's^ View Post
    I don't understand you very well, i'll make the story short:

- You have 2 measure points, as you said, one multimeter wire(red one for positive voltages) to that point, another to ground. These measuring points aren't the ones where you have to solder the VR.

- Otherwise, there are two resistances ( maybe more ) which are related to the voltage control ( i assume the pointed resistance in the pic is for vcore mod ), the vmod points usually refer to the spot where you have to solder one wire end, then the VR and then to ground.

Again, i'm not sure about how you understood the vmod, but you have to do the mod with the power off, set the VR to the maximum value, and then, with the power on, and while you are looking at the voltages, turn the VR down, it may take a bit for the voltage to change, be careful.

I hope it helps, it sound a bit obvious to me but I don't really understand which are your questions.
    I guess I need further help. I can't figure out my multimeter and everything. I have googled my specific mainboards (m2n32-sli deluxe) and my gpu (8600gt) and I know where to look, but I can't seem to figure this stuff out.

Where do I connect the multimeter to to view the current voltages, and what setting do I use? Also... I figured out how to actually vmod the chipset, other than I don't know where to look for grounds. Maybe I could get some examples or something.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You gotta set the multimeter on continuous voltage, and the scale should be 2, as i said, red wire to measuring point and black wire to ground. There are ground points everywhere, the pc case itself is connected to ground, anyway, you should use a ground point near the vmod point, have you seen the pics i posted ? You can check ground points by setting the multimeter in the continuity mode ( the one where it beeps ), it will beep when you point with each wire to the same electrical point, i.e. one wire on the case, and the other over a ground point over the board, and it should beep, i hope you understand what i'm saying. It's easy to find ground spots, every IC has at least one, capacitors have one leg conected to ground...

There is something about the VR, it has 3 legs, i recommend you to "play" with it and the multimeter between those 3 legs, checking resistance and modifying it so you can understand how the VR works. Anyway i'll make you a short explanation. The two "edge" legs, have the whole resistance value, if you modify the resistance via the trimmer, it won't change if you measure between these 2 points, the point which changes is the central leg, if you set, one edge wire and the central wire, you will increase resistance turning the trim clockwise, if you connect the central leg and the opposite side of the VR, turning clockwise will decrease the resistance, this is an example, you have to check by yourself.

Once you have soldered 2 wires to the VR ( in central and side legs ), check the resistance between these wires, you have to set the resistance to the maximum value and check also that you can modify it correctly, when you have done this, you are ready to solder the VR to the vmod points.

ANYWAY, i don't recommend you to do the vmod until you are sure about how it works.
    Asus P5K Premium//Intel E6600@3,6ghz//Corsair PC6400C3@500 4-4-4-12 2,2v//8800GTS G92//Audigy 2 ZS//SeaSonic M12 700W & LianLi V2000B

Xtreme Member
    I was playing around with pencil modding the Vmem today on the 8600gt. I noticed the resistance was 526 before any pencil mods. Then I colored over it with a #2 pencil I found and the resistance decreased to the high 400 range. So basically what I concluded was the pencil mod lowered my resistance, IE greater voltage correct? - I understand things by doing them =D! If I am understanding this concept correct I believe I can work out the transistor mod.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123