Thread: Semi-permanent GPU heatsink adhesive

Semi-permanent GPU heatsink adhesive

I just picked up a Swiftech MCW60 water block and the MC8800 heatsink kit for my eVGA 8800 GTS. I keep reading about how terrible the thermal tape on these Swiftech heatsinks are, and, while I would like to mount the heatsinks securely, I still want to be able to get them off again in the future. I know a lot of people on XS have mixed thermal compound and adhesive to make a less “permanent” bond. I have some leftover Artic Alumina Thermal Adhesive and some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound. Can I combine these to make an adhesive for the heatsinks that is secure, but will still come off without destroying the RAM or MOSFETS? If so, what amount should I use of each?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by cletus_cassidy View Post
    I just picked up a Swiftech MCW60 water block and the MC8800 heatsink kit for my eVGA 8800 GTS. I keep reading about how terrible the thermal tape on these Swiftech heatsinks are, and, while I would like to mount the heatsinks securely, I still want to be able to get them off again in the future. I know a lot of people on XS have mixed thermal compound and adhesive to make a less “permanent” bond. I have some leftover Artic Alumina Thermal Adhesive and some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound. Can I combine these to make an adhesive for the heatsinks that is secure, but will still come off without destroying the RAM or MOSFETS? If so, what amount should I use of each?

Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Take a look at the bottom of the MC14's and peel-off the protective paper. if you can see aluminum foil, then it's the new tape, and you don't need to do anything to it, as it sticks really well.

If it's just white tape, it's the "old" stuff, then this is what I suggest you do: put a drop of crazy glue on a piece of paper, unfold a paper-clip, and dip the end of the tip in the drop of glue, then use this to smear a "smidgen" of glue on the heatsink, then press the heatsink on the memory. This makes a very good bond, but it can still be removed.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Take a look at the bottom of the MC14's and peel-off the protective paper. if you can see aluminum foil, then it's the new tape, and you don't need to do anything to it, as it sticks really well.

If it's just white tape, it's the "old" stuff, then this is what I suggest you do: put a drop of crazy glue on a piece of paper, unfold a paper-clip, and dip the end of the tip in the drop of glue, then use this to smear a "smidgen" of glue on the heatsink, then press the heatsink on the memory. This makes a very good bond, but it can still be removed.
    Seems a little risky ? Isn't it ?

Personally, i got this for my X19s and it worked perfectly fine.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=20882

You take off the stock thermal adhesive off the ramsinks using alcohol and your nails, cut small pieces of that T412, hook them onto the ramsinks and voila. On more thing i always do to make sure they stick correctly is that before sticking the ramsink onto the ram chip, i put it under a light for 3 secs or so and then you stick it onto the ram chip.

Actually, it just means heating the thermal adhesive before hooking it onto the card.
    • - Asus P8Z68-V PRO
    • - Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz (for now)
    • - Asus Geforce 580GTX DirectCUII Fermi
    • - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
    • - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
    • - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
    • - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
    • - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
    • - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
    • - Dell UltraSharp 24''
    • - Noctua NH-D14

January - SLI Rig Of The Month (2008)

It's the white tape variety, but I think I'd rather use some sort of thermal adhesive...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Arctic Silver 5 Adhesive. It's Permanent... But its about as good as it gets. Just don't get any on the circuitry, It's conductive:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/arsiad7grpan.html

If you want to be safer, Use Arctic Alumna (Cermique):

http://www.petrastechshop.com/aralad5grpan.html

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by cletus_cassidy View Post
    It's the white tape variety, but I think I'd rather use some sort of thermal adhesive...
    Preference noted, no problem. I have mine installed that way on a couple of cards (and mobos), and would only recommend what I believe to be safe, and effective based on experience; I have no experience with re-mixing Arctic epoxies

I also removed the tape, and used ceramic epoxy (not for sale item I believe - lab use only), it is certainly a better bond, but it is a permanent one, and you need to freeze the card to remove the sinks. your question was "semi-permanent" reason why I recommended the above method.

One last thing: if you are going to remix arctic silver epoxy, be extremely careful not to spill any silver underneath the memory modules. Arctic Silver is capacitive (not conductive), and this is enough to short the signal on memory. Now with pure silver, it's no problem, since you wipe it off, and things will work again, but with an epoxy mix, you won't be able to clean off if you make a mess, and your card will be permanently damaged.
    CEO Swiftech

Banned
    Ouch.... I dunno about the super glue man, that stuff tends to be kinda corrosive right? Isn't that how it works... it almost "melts" two surfaces together, bonding them. Could be wrong, and wouldn't be the first time either, so correct me if i'm wrong lol.

I used the Arctic Silver 5 w/ the Arctic Silver Adhesive, mix a little dab of the AS5 w/ the adhesive and you should be good to go. You might have to play w/ the ratios to get it just right. I did a very little dab, just enough to turn it a tent of gray.

Banned
    One last thing: if you are going to remix arctic silver epoxy, be extremely careful not to spill any silver underneath the memory modules. Arctic Silver is capacitive (not conductive), and this is enough to short the signal on memory. Now with pure silver, it's no problem, since you wipe it off, and things will work again, but with an epoxy mix, you won't be able to clean off if you make a mess, and your card will be permanently damaged.

Crap, never thought about that lol. Thanks for the heads up, i'll definately have to be more careful. Thankfully i havn't killed any cards yet.

Banned
    As kevinbo03 suggested, the best way I have found is mix 25% Arctic Alumina thermal paste with 75% arctic alumina epoxy. 50/50 was too weak and would fall off if touched.

Xtreme Addict
    Bahhh Title says "Semi permanent" Chomerics Thermattach® T412 Conductive Tape is what you should be looking at then
    • - Asus P8Z68-V PRO
    • - Intel I5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz (for now)
    • - Asus Geforce 580GTX DirectCUII Fermi
    • - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
    • - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
    • - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
    • - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
    • - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
    • - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
    • - Dell UltraSharp 24''
    • - Noctua NH-D14

January - SLI Rig Of The Month (2008)

Banned
    The 25/75% mix I suggested above is semi-permanent. I have used this many times and it works. Some people just don't like the tape solution.