Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: camouflage has finished his latest cooling project (large pics inside !!!)

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Your thread has REALLY inspired me to use this type of set up, especially since you ironed out all the difficult parts of the build. Thanks for posting. Its a great way to get into the world of chillers w/o having to do anything too insane.

One question if you don't mind; did you ever consider mounting a rad as the last part of the loop before returning to the reservoir so that you can eliminate a decent amount of heat and not warm the water as quickly? I thought that might lengthen the time between cooling down your 30 L tank. What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT:

I have a second question that just popped in my head. Using your current set up w/ 30 L, how long do you think you can run your loop w/ the chiller shut off before the temps go beyond tolerable? I would think if you didn't do any xtreme OC, you could run it for 3 or 4 hours before introducing the chiller into the loop again?

Sorry for the annoying questions. I have been playing around with the chiller idea for a few weeks and your loops seems as close as to what I want to do.
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 06-24-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    Your thread has REALLY inspired me to use this type of set up, especially since you ironed out all the difficult parts of the build. Thanks for posting. Its a great way to get into the world of chillers w/o having to do anything too insane.

One question if you don't mind; did you ever consider mounting a rad as the last part of the loop before returning to the reservoir so that you can eliminate a decent amount of heat and not warm the water as quickly? I thought that might lengthen the time between cooling down your 30 L tank. What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT:

I have a second question that just popped in my head. Using your current set up w/ 30 L, how long do you think you can run your loop w/ the chiller shut off before the temps go beyond tolerable? I would think if you didn't do any xtreme OC, you could run it for 3 or 4 hours before introducing the chiller into the loop again?

Sorry for the annoying questions. I have been playing around with the chiller idea for a few weeks and your loops seems as close as to what I want to do.
    Mounting a rad would cause no advantage - let's say I have 25°C room temp here in Summer - so the rad is not able to cool down the water sub room temp, that's the reason the chiller does all the work.

Regarding to Your 2nd question, when my system is OCed near limit so that I need really cold water I can set off the chiller and have cold water for almost one hour - but I forgot to insulate the tank, if You do that with some Armaflex the cold will last longer.

When my system is not OCed I can run it without switching on the chiller.

My current E8400 runs 9x333 @ 0.984 Vcore - this is stable even with water temp = room temp.

If nothing works nomore......:

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by camouflage View Post
    Mounting a rad would cause no advantage - let's say I have 25°C room temp here in Summer - so the rad is not able to cool down the water sub room temp, that's the reason the chiller does all the work.

Regarding to Your 2nd question, when my system is OCed near limit so that I need really cold water I can set off the chiller and have cold water for almost one hour - but I forgot to insulate the tank, if You do that with some Armaflex the cold will last longer.

When my system is not OCed I can run it without switching on the chiller.

My current E8400 runs 9x333 @ 0.984 Vcore - this is stable even with water temp = room temp.

Thanks a TON. I'm trying to collect some info for when I build a nehalem based system in the not so near future. I would probably get a tank about the same size as yours.

My idea is that if I can eliminate some heat entering the tank, clearly, the chiller's effect will last longer since it would be on an OC'd processor, NB and video card most likely in a single loop.

I know that I can't drop the temps below ambient, but pumping in water that is 10 or more degrees below a loop w/o a rad, that would be worth it and might take a a small portion of the workload off the chiller.

At least I think so.....
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    Thanks a TON. I'm trying to collect some info for when I build a nehalem based system in the not so near future. I would probably get a tank about the same size as yours.

My idea is that if I can eliminate some heat entering the tank, clearly, the chiller's effect will last longer since it would be on an OC'd processor, NB and video card most likely in a single loop.

I know that I can't drop the temps below ambient, but pumping in water that is 10 or more degrees below a loop w/o a rad, that would be worth it and might take a a small portion of the workload off the chiller.

At least I think so.....
    As I said - best is here to insulate the tank itself with some Armaflex - so it will keep the cold much longer if You shut off the chiller and it helps to get better temps with less chiller runtime periods if You run the chiller.

Xtreme Member
    Hey camo!
    I just had a question:
    The fan of the chiller is pushing a lot of warm air out of the backside, right?
    Why did you place this thing under your computer? Warm air is going upwards and heating up the computer?
    Why you didn't put it 3m away from your rig?

Xtreme 3DTeam Member
    You're right - I also metioned that issue after finish my setup. But I'm too lazy to change it...............

BTW, there is no difference in CPU temp - only the baord temp is gettin' 1°-2°C warmer......... - one thing I can live with and for extreme hardcore experiments I run the chiller down to desired water temp & shut it off - so I have max. best temps I can get....................

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    camouflage - is the chiller noisy (How many dB's) Thanks....

NIce Job....
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123